Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Fans and the booing of players

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I don't follow hockey but I guess they would. I'd imagine crowds would be similar in different codes.
    Oh they boo plenty in hockey and when suitably moved don't hold back.

After a flat start to the season the coach of the New Jersey Devils was not only getting booed by home crowds but they were launching into loud, lengthy "FIRE LINDY" chants during games.

Of course the team soon went on a 13-game winning streak which prompted equally loud "WE'RE SORRY LINDY" chants.

Yanks are weird, but I've never seen them ritually hound a black man out of the game.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes G-Mo77, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

After a flat start to the season the coach of the New Jersey Devils was not only getting booed by home crowds but they were launching into loud, lengthy "FIRE LINDY" chants during games.

Of course the team soon went on a 13-game winning streak which prompted equally loud "WE'RE SORRY LINDY" chants.

Yanks are weird, but I've never seen them ritually hound a black man out of the game.
    Gold.

Well, I think they've left African Americans out of entire professional leagues eg the NFL in the 30s and 40s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He was booed because he was racist in his comments IMO . He was Australian of the year and spent the speech bagging Australians.
    It was ok for him to throw an imaginary spear at the crowd, can you imagine if a white Australian did it?
    I find he was his own worst enemy and booing isn?t racist or all aborigines would be booed .
    It was the way he came across
    Eg the kid who called him whatever name it was: don?t go degrading the kid . Meet them talk to them as a friend, educate them . Don?t persecute him or her
    We have to come together and he being the adult could have handled it a lot better . I?m in no way racist I take people on their merits .
    How booing is seen as racism is beyond me . He also tackled legs first once and personally that?s what I saw the first reason he was booed .
    I was curious about this post and your thoughts on Goodes' acceptance speech, so I took the liberty of searching for a transcript of it.

THE FULL TRANSCRIPT OF THE ADAM GOODES 2014 AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

?It?s an honour to win an award for doing stuff that you love and that you believe in. For me, I chose that life is all about actions and interactions. I believe that our choices and how we interact with each other creates our relationships and this in turn creates the environment that we live in.

Our environment shapes our communities which then shapes the country that we all live in. Growing up as an indigenous Australian I have experienced my fair share of racism. While it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and also shaped my values and what I believe in today. I believe racism is a community issue which we all need to address and that?s why racism stops with me.

There are always two ways we can look at a situation. We can choose to get angry. Or not. We can choose to help others. Or not. Or choose to be offended. Or not. We can keep our silence or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations.

It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that?s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner. It?s about how you choose to give back and make a difference to those around you, your community or your country that goes outside of just yourself.

I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.

I?m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I?m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.

I?m so grateful for this award and this honour, however the real reward is when everyone is talking to their mates, to their families and their children, having those conversations and educating others about racism. What it looks like, how hurtful and how pointless it is and how we can eliminate it.

The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it?s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.
    Would you kindly point out the parts of the speech where he was, as you so eloquently put it, "Racist in his comments" and "bagging Australians"?

I've read it through three times now, and I'm just not seeing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Gold.

Well, I think they've left African Americans out of entire professional leagues eg the NFL in the 30s and 40s.
    Whilst there were a few African Americans in the very early professional football days, it wasn't til 1946 that the unofficial football colour bar was broken.
    Baseball was much more overt about its racist policies right up until Jackie Robinson forced the issue and brought about change.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 10-05-2023 at 07:53 PM.

6. Thanks Grantysghost, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I was curious about this post and your thoughts on Goodes' acceptance speech, so I took the liberty of searching for a transcript of it.

Would you kindly point out the parts of the speech where he was, as you so eloquently put it, "Racist in his comments" and "bagging Australians"?

I don't purport to speak for Ledge. The premise of the extract is that Australia is a racist country. The first sentence of the second paragraph excepted, it's especially evident in that and the penultimate paragraph. If Ledge takes umbrage at that premise, then "bagging Australians" is reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Colin Kaepernick?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes hujsh, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Colin Kaepernick?
    Ahh yes, there you go. There would be more.

Post Thanks / Like

Booing in and of itself is not abuse. There is room for heckling and booing in the game. It’s all part of the pantomime and carnival of sport.

Fans primary focus should be on barracking for their team first and foremost. The best atmospheres are generated when we express our passion positively and towards our own tribe.

The next best element is when there is a rivalry and the hatred and passionate dislike for the opposition, for simply being the opposition, like a pantomime villain gets booed and hissed and told they’ve got chewy on their boot. Think about how savage our fans were in 2016 to GWS. It was incredibly hostile and it would have been unpleasant to be anyone other than a Dogs fan in that stadium. It was fantastic. So long as you are on the right side of it.

Occasionally the booing of players is dumb and misguided. Some dogs fans booed Daniel Cross when he rolled out for Melbourne ffs. Fans other than Norf supporters booing JHF in the absence of him doing anything to their teams is dumb. If he is kicking goals, celebrating towards the crowd, belting players, fair enough. But that wasn’t happening.

Goodes started to cop it more intensely after he advocated against racism and became the face of some uncomfortable truths. Those boos became more than just boos.

Buddy copping it still just feels like a champion player with history of some cheap shots being cast as the villain. I wouldn’t routinely boo him against us, but if he clipped someone, or was having a shot in a close game, he’s copping it.

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, G-Mo77, Sedat, chef, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I don't purport to speak for Ledge. The premise of the extract is that Australia is a racist country. The first sentence of the second paragraph excepted, it's especially evident in that and the penultimate paragraph. If Ledge takes umbrage at that premise, then "bagging Australians" is reasonable.
    If Australia is so unable to engage in genuine reflection as to consider a person talking about their experience of racism 'bagging' them then they deserve to be bagged at the minimum. Of course Australia is at least partly racist.

The real answer I'd want though is in what way was Goodes' comments racist? That's the more confusing one TBH. Not that I expect you to answer that for Ledge to be clear.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

He said we can choose to get angry .. he did get angry . Pointing out a child in a crowd isn’t bringing the community together it’s causing more problems . Fact is he wasn’t booed for race it was the double leg slide that started the booing.
    Booing is not racist . It’s a bit like lidia Thorpes claims about racism then becomes racist herself.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    https://twitter.com/TheOnlyLongy/sta...62972906770432

Sydney are a bunch of hypocrites - always have been.
    This was 22 years ago to be fair. Times change.

I don't have an opinion on booing generally but feel if you cheap shot a player during the match you're gonna get booed. I'm not sure if Buddy did give Murphy a whack but if he did you have to accept the crowd will boo him. If he didn't and he was booed for no reason it would be weird. Same goes for JHF and Ginnivan.

Buddy's been playing for a long long time and has never been booed previously so it's difficult to say its potentally racially motivated. What I do think though is the more the media and Collingwood et al. bring attention to it the more Buddy will get booed and it will spiral out of control. That's a given.

It may already be too late.

17. Likes hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This was 22 years ago to be fair. Times change.

I don't have an opinion on booing generally but feel if you cheap shot a player during the match you're gonna get booed. I'm not sure if Buddy did give Murphy a whack but if he did you have to accept the crowd will boo him. If he didn't and he was booed for no reason it would be weird. Same goes for JHF and Ginnivan.

Buddy's been playing for a long long time and has never been booed previously so it's difficult to say its potentally racially motivated. What I do think though is the more the media and Collingwood et al. bring attention to it the more Buddy will get booed and it will spiral out of control. That's a given.

It may already be too late.
    I'd say it'll ramp up, simply to spite the ludicrous takes that booing should be stopped.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He said we can choose to get angry .. he did get angry . Pointing out a child in a crowd isn’t bringing the community together it’s causing more problems . Fact is he wasn’t booed for race it was the double leg slide that started the booing.
    Booing is not racist . It’s a bit like lidia Thorpes claims about racism then becomes racist herself.
    Pointing out anyone that hurls racial abuse towards you is fine. If they're a child keep their name out of the media (and the parents can leave with them). It's not Goodes job to teach every racist why they're wrong the same way it wasn't that SANFL players job to teach Walker not to use racist slurs but we seem to put more onus on black and indigenous people to respond to racism correctly than racist people to not use racial slurs (that's the amazing part, they can still be racist if they don't shout it out at a stadium)

21. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, soupman, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The expectation that POCs have to educate racists on how to not be racist is some dumb circular logic victim blaming ludicrous bullshit.

Booing players you have no relationship to is stupid and cringe. If you absolutely have to boo someone then go watch pro wrestling. This topic is exhausting.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

23. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Goodes shouldn't point out someone being racist towards him?

Maybe JUH should have just sucked it up too.
    The curse is dead.

25. Likes bornadog liked this post