Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs supporter culture

WOOFERS,

I had a surreal experience at work the other day when I was playing the Proclaimers in the auditorium as a joke to myself and a couple of students walked in and started singing Sunshine On Leith at the top of their lungs. The song of course being a feature of match days last Hibernian over in Scotland.

This, the booing conversation and a general interest in fan behaviour got me thinking about our supporter culture and your perceptions around collective identity and rituals that you associate with being a member of the Footscray Football Club.

So a few questions to ponder that if you have time to reflect and respond, would be interest to me:

1. How would you describe our supporter culture? (is it something you can see? is it different to other clubs?)
    2. Has the culture changed significantly in your lifetime? (what's come along? what's disappeared?)
    3. What would like to see emerge as part of a quintessential, unique culture of support at the Bulldogs?

I have some thoughts that I'll share later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs supporter culture

In answer to 1. We don't sulk off home at 3/4 time if we are getting done and we don't switch allegiances if we have a few bad years.

3. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The culture of the supporters is changing as we grow bigger and bigger and more supporters come on board. I think we have a core group that will follow the club through thick and thin, and then we have the band wagoners, like every other team.

The culture has changed dramatically compared to when I was growing up, as we just expected to lose and if we won, we were over the moon. Thanks to some big turn arounds, on and off the field, we expect to win every week and we are very disappointed when we lose. Social media has also contributed to change - just by the comments made.

I would like to see us a bit more like the big clubs who have supporters showing up at games, no matter what. Collingwood are a good example of this and a bad example is Hawthorn. Supporters quickly drop off when they are not winning.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SonofScray, 1eyedog, josie, Smads57, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must be a Chalkie, SOS. "Sunshine on Leith" Hibs. 2016, Scottish Cup victors over Rangers with a Socceroo, Cumings, front and centre. Google 2016 Hibs Scottish Cup.

1. Emerging. Gratifying that our eastern suburbs children stick fat.
    2. Absolutely. 2016. Poor old Bulldogs who couldn't even keep their name to everyone wants to be us.
    3. no change at all. We are unique. Our children and theirs, even more passionate that we are.
    Last edited by D Mitchell; 13-05-2023 at 12:02 AM.

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    In answer to 1. We don't sulk off home at 3/4 time if we are getting done and we don't switch allegiances if we have a few bad years.
    I think both yourself and BAD have identified something that rings true. We do have a really staunch core support of around 18-20k that never waver. We have plenty more passionate fans, the turn out for Bonts 200 indicated that we’ve grown quite a bit and perhaps have a more diverse type of support than just that staunch, game day crowd. A few more theatre goers perhaps.

I’d love to see data around attendance as a % of memberships.

11. Likes josie, GVGjr, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    You must be a Chalkie, SOS. "Sunshine on Leith" Hibs. 2016, Scottish Cup victors over Rangers with a Socceroo, Cumings, front and centre. Google 2016 Hibs Scottish Cup.

1. Emerging. Gratifying that our eastern suburbs children stick fat.
    2. Absolutely. 2016. Poor old Bulldogs who couldn't even keep their name to everyone wants to be us.
    3. no change at all. We are unique. Our children and theirs, even more passionate that we are.
    I’ve been doing some teaching at TAFE right in the heartland. One of the students lived across from Easter Rd and told me all about their experience. They were surprised to know their teacher had a soft spot for Partick Thistle and was reasonably well versed in Scottish football.

Agree with no 2. The flag that wagged was a big catalyst for change. Undoubtedly good, with perhaps some loss there too, we’d invested a lot of time and story telling into the drought and sticking fat through thick and thin. Not sure we’ve filled the gap yet.

I think we are very unique with that strong local identity as a supporter group. Folk often have a story to tell about the neighbourhood in the context of the footy club, even if they’ve moved away, or their ties are more historical.

13. Likes josie, GVGjr, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I’ve been doing some teaching at TAFE right in the heartland. One of the students lived across from Easter Rd and told me all about their experience. They were surprised to know their teacher had a soft spot for Partick Thistle and was reasonably well versed in Scottish football.

Agree with no 2. The flag that wagged was a big catalyst for change. Undoubtedly good, with perhaps some loss there too, we’d invested a lot of time and story telling into the drought and sticking fat through thick and thin. Not sure we’ve filled the gap yet.

I think we are very unique with that strong local identity as a supporter group. Folk often have a story to tell about the
    neighbourhood in the context of the footy club, even if they’ve moved away, or their ties are more historical.
    I'm no longer worried about the culture of the Club or its survival. What's intriguing is your discovery of Easter Road. I stumbled onto Hibs during lockdown, loved it that 2016 was Hib's glory and the videos showing the passion of the supporters, reminiscent of vids of ours in the same year and I'm still desperately and tragically in love with the lass at 3.39 in the link in my previous post above. Partick Thistle stands a chance of advance to the Premiership League, 3rd on the table and equal on points. Partick Thistle, St Mirren, Heart of Midlothian, St Johnstone, fascinating names. I've now added a Hibs-Hearts and an Old Firm game to my bucket list.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I’ve been doing some teaching at TAFE right in the heartland. One of the students lived across from Easter Rd and told me all about their experience. They were surprised to know their teacher had a soft spot for Partick Thistle and was reasonably well versed in Scottish football.<br>
    <br>
    Agree with no 2. The flag that wagged was a big catalyst for change. Undoubtedly good, with perhaps some loss there too, we’d invested a lot of time and story telling into the drought and sticking fat through thick and thin. Not sure we’ve filled the gap yet.<br>
    <br>
    I think we are very unique with that strong local identity as a supporter group. Folk often have a story to tell about the&nbsp;<br>neighbourhood in the context of the footy club, even if they’ve moved away, or their ties are more historical.
    <br><br>I'm no longer worried about the culture of the Club or its survival.&nbsp; What's intriguing is your discovery of Easter Road.&nbsp; I stumbled onto Hibs during lockdown, loved it that 2016 was Hib's glory and the videos showing the passion of the supporters, reminiscent of vids of ours in the same year and I'm still desperately and tragically in love with the lass at 3.39 in the link in my previous post above.&nbsp; Partick Thistle stands a chance of advance to the Premiership League, 3rd on the table and equal on points.&nbsp; Partick Thistle, St Mirren, Heart of Midlothian, St Johnstone, fascinating names.&nbsp; I've now added a Hibs-Hearts and an Old Firm game to my bucket list.<br>

Post Thanks / Like

1. How would you describe our supporter culture? (is it something you can see? is it different to other clubs?)

I think our fans are very loyal, as most fans tend to be and we don?t see massive fluctuations in attendance in the way that the Hawks and Tigers do depending on if they are up or down. I have Essendon fan friends (shameful people) that treat the footy like an optional, social activity where each game seems to have it own appeal on whether to go or not. ?Are you going to the big game?? Real cringey americanised stuff. Reckon we just go and keep going. For me, that?s the stand out, the drought and fight back and right family connections to the club have built an aspirational, loyal fan base.

I think it?s difficult to actually see, as in directly observe anything particularly unique about our fans on game day. Pt Adelaide have their sing along, away games v Sydney and St Kilda they seem to really pack level one behind the goals, Collingwood fans still can get a whole stadium chanting, Geelong fans are incredibly dull, living up to the country hick, sleepy hollow vibe.

2. Has the culture changed significantly in your lifetime? (what's come along? what's disappeared?)
    Our crowds have become less vocal and less colourful over the years, I think. The changes in stadiums from VUWO, to PP to Docklands have played a big role in that, as well as the way game day activation and fan engagement has encroached on the fans experience.

When we moved to the Docklands, I sat with my family on level 1 bay 42, a bay that was about 3/4 sold on the edges of our members reserved seat area. There was another family in front of us and the dad used to make sure he and the kids had flags to wave and every goal, he?d lead the charge with a ?DOGGIES DOGGIES DOGGIES? chant and the classic ?BULLDOGS? clap clap clap. Don?t see that sort of behaviour as much anymore. No real efforts to pull the crowd together as a collective. I?d say our supporter culture has become more focused on smaller groups and individuals observing and consuming the game rather than participating in it as a collective.

There?s less dread since the flag. I don?t feel like the grim reaper is coming for our club anymore, we?re a bit more comfortable, which is good, but I?m not certain we?ve replaced that collective experience yet. We were all on a journey to survive and win a flag. Beyond another flag, I don?t know if we as fans have a real sense of what we are about. Growth is part of it, but outside of the financial element, I don?t think we necessarily want to be one of the big clubs either, do we? For me I want to see 3 more flags in my lifetime in the men?s competition and see a Men?s and Women?s flag wag in the same season. Perhaps in terms of fans, crowds, success, put some distance between ourselves Norf and St Kilda.

3. What would like to see emerge as part of a quintessential, unique culture of support at the Bulldogs?

I?d love to see more flags and banners around the ground. We have great colours that exist on a bunch of national flags and I?d love to see more getting waved around, and hung over the fences and railings. Of course, stadium policy and the digital hoardings have ruined some of the opportunity but it?d be great to see.

I?d like to hear the crowd cheer as a collective a little more often. Bulldogs chant used to get up after every goal, now it gets going after a particularly good goal, or goals late in a tight contest. New York Jets have a good one that the club and stadium help along J E T S Jets Jets Jets, something like that added to our crowd would have appeal if folk have it a go and stuck with it. Could do it just before they run out and before the bounce each quarter or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people you don?t choose to support the bulldogs, you inherit them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I always tell people you don?t choose to support the bulldogs, you inherit them.
    Add that you earn them. More prosaically, tell them that you are called to support our Club so have to be worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Oh man! Sunshine on Leith's lyrics just get me. And the Hibs fans delivered. Course then i went down the rabbit hole: 'Grace' sung by Celtic, then 'Fields of Athenry' sung by Liverpool. Lump in the throat stuff.

21. Likes SonofScray, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballarat presents an interesting dynamic for supporter culture that we should lean into a bit more. A couple of things I noticed:

1 the main members stand was pretty vocal, consistently more barracking and cheering after goals and more spontaneous BULLDOGS chants in play. You don’t see that very often these days.

2 the outer was full of kids with their families. What a great thing that our fans get to experience an aspect of footy that has since been replaced by creature comforts and manufactured experiences. It’s a connection to the experience of older supporters, to the game in a more pure sense. An opportunity not to just be ticket holder 1478 in 41 B 3 but part of the collective. Just another voice in the cacophony of the Outer.

It really feels like a space that ours to make of it what we will.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal view is that Bulldog supporters are generally quite at the footy compared with other clubs it feels like we lack a little belief.

24. Likes SonofScray liked this post