Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs supporter culture

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Ballarat presents an interesting dynamic for supporter culture that we should lean into a bit more. A couple of things I noticed:

1 the main members stand was pretty vocal, consistently more barracking and cheering after goals and more spontaneous BULLDOGS chants in play. You don’t see that very often these days.

2 the outer was full of kids with their families. What a great thing that our fans get to experience an aspect of footy that has since been replaced by creature comforts and manufactured experiences. It’s a connection to the experience of older supporters, to the game in a more pure sense. An opportunity not to just be ticket holder 1478 in 41 B 3 but part of the collective. Just another voice in the cacophony of the Outer.

It really feels like a space that ours to make of it what we will.
    The stand was getting right behind the players which was great to hear and I did notice a lot more kids and families than before
    It was a good match day experience from my perspective, staff were great and the fans right behind the boys.
    I absolutely enjoyed the ceremony and the way the players from both clubs stood alongside each other.
    Whoever organised this deserves some acknowledgment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    My personal view is that Bulldog supporters are generally quite at the footy compared with other clubs it feels like we lack a little belief.
    Think that?s a fair assessment. Especially this season, we let teams back in, or leave the door ajar so you never feel safe to get obnoxiously loud!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The stand was getting right behind the players which was great to hear and I did notice a lot more kids and families than before
    It was a good match day experience from my perspective, staff were great and the fans right behind the boys.
    I absolutely enjoyed the ceremony and the way the players from both clubs stood alongside each other.
    Whoever organised this deserves some acknowledgment.
    I like it maybe once a year, however early say second or third round.

Overall the stadium is pretty average, facilities and amenities are lacking ; its barely afl standard and has terrible parking opens. Surface is very nice for players which is a bonus.

It is fun though and does give you a sense of nostalgia for those who like to snort that like shredded Jeff Kennett policies.

Financially it makes a lot of sense for the club so I lean towards it being a good thing.

Personally I'd prefer we ditch it after the WO redevelopment and play those games there.

Surely it would not take too much to get it to Ballarat level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Overall the stadium is pretty average, facilities and amenities are lacking ; its barely afl standard and has terrible parking opens. Surface is very nice for players which is a bonus.

It is fun though and does give you a sense of nostalgia for those who like to snort that like shredded Jeff Kennett policies.

Financially it makes a lot of sense for the club so I lean towards it being a good thing.

Personally I'd prefer we ditch it after the WO redevelopment and play those games there.

If we want to continue to build the brand we should stay in Ballarat. We are targeting a bigger audience through the West of Victoria.

The ground is going to be improved further with the commonwealth games due there in 2026 (check date)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We wouldn't get the money we do from both state and local government at the WO. It's that which makes the difference not the quality of facilities, otherwise we would just play these matches at Marvel.

6. Likes Grantysghost, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    We wouldn't get the money we do from both state and local government at the WO. It's that which makes the difference not the quality of facilities, otherwise we would just play these matches at Marvel.
    I mentioned that part.

Agree.

Playing at a ground you own, I expect that we'd make some coinage.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Whitten Stand will seat 1500 which is less than the previous one. Standing room in front of it is gone along with areas for the new player facility.

I went to the largest attended AFLW match against Freo and it was said to be 10k and it was pretty full. I doubt the capacity now would be much greater.

Compared to Marvel, the ground will severely lack corporate facilities and reserved seating. Marvel is getting a $225m upgrade with improved bar and food facilities which should enhance the club's cut of pourage and catering rights. I don't know the terms of our deal but it was significantly improved a few years ago.

Maybe a one off heritage match would work but unfortunately I can't see the WO being able to compete financially against Marvel and the club seems to be of the same view.

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest issue with bringing Whitten Oval up to AFL standards is that post redevelopment there won't be a lot of room to increase capacity to desired / required levels. One would think that a minimum capacity of 25 to 30,000 would be required given the number of members that would want to attend a game in Footscray.

We would not tolerate a US type stadium where capacity is limited to drive up ticket prices (from $100s to $1000s per seat and higher) to increase revenue. Besides, there is no room on the Doug Hawkins Wing (Gordon Street) and limited room at the Mount Mistake end to build grandstands to reach that capacity.

Better to keep capacity at around 10K for AFLW and VFL games, and for WRFL finals.

Once the Commonwealth Games redevelopment has been done, the facilities at Mars Stadium will be infinitely better. More grandstand seating (hopefully much of it undercover) to increase capacity to closer to 20K, more food & drink oulets, more toilet facilities, more parking and a new railway station right outside the stadium.

All of this should make the gameday experience for Bulldog members, and visiting supporters, much better and a genuine alternative to playing at Marvel for games against lower drawing opponents.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, this is WOOF official anthem.
    https://youtu.be/RVeG-MllgXI

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to the footy in Ballarat and likely wont...I like the idea in principle though and would like us to lean into it - continue to build that facility and look to play 2-3 games there per year and make it a bit of a stranglehold/point of difference. I hated it when we sold games up in Cairns and wherever else but Ballarat fits the original vision (from back in '97) of the WESTERN Bulldogs and I still think there's something in that. I mean, it's not SO far away that you can't day trip it - but - and I know this is a bit of a thing - the players aren't in love with heading up there and would much rather play their footy at Marvel.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day when the CS was on the wing and we had the Hyde St Band enclosure, was there ever an unofficial cheer squad behind the goals to?

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day when the CS was on the wing and we had the Hyde St Band enclosure, was there ever an unofficial cheer squad behind the goals to?
    The opposition cheer squad used to sit behind the goals at the Barkley St end and there were definitely supporters of ours with flags grouped behind the southern goal.

15. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    The new Whitten Stand will seat 1500 which is less than the previous one. Standing room in front of it is gone along with areas for the new player facility.

I went to the largest attended AFLW match against Freo and it was said to be 10k and it was pretty full. I doubt the capacity now would be much greater.

Compared to Marvel, the ground will severely lack corporate facilities and reserved seating. Marvel is getting a $225m upgrade with improved bar and food facilities which should enhance the club's cut of pourage and catering rights. I don't know the terms of our deal but it was significantly improved a few years ago.

Maybe a one off heritage match would work but unfortunately I can't see the WO being able to compete financially against Marvel and the club seems to be of the same view.
    WO for VFL/WAFL and maybe some pre-season matches

Post Thanks / Like

Up Yours Oakley and !erge Oakley Into Outer Space.

Classic dogs bumper stickers and banners you’d see everywhere.

Reckon they told the story of a fan base that was rightly, and passionately antiestablishment. Think perhaps that’s shifted significantly over the years as the club has been more diplomatic and less combative with the AFL.

Not an inherently bad thing, just an observation.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Up Yours Oakley and !erge Oakley Into Outer Space.

Classic dogs bumper stickers and banners you’d see everywhere.

Reckon they told the story of a fan base that was rightly, and passionately antiestablishment. Think perhaps that’s shifted significantly over the years as the club has been more diplomatic and less combative with the AFL.

Not an inherently bad thing, just an observation.
    Very well said SOS couldn't agree more.