Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Recovery of Season 2023

When we were 0-2 after a turning up of the toes against Melbourne and a surprise demolishing by the Aints, SACK BEVO was being shouted from the rooftops.

We have since gone 6-1. Our wins have included hard fought victories over the Lions, Blues and Tigers while our only loss was to a Port Power team who seem to have followed our path post disastrous end to 2021 (you're welcome). We very easily could have gone 7-0.

So, what changed? How did we get here? The great article from Cody Atkinson on the ABC (shared on here a few days back) detailed some of the reasons, but I think it is worth delving further in and giving our coaching staff some credit for the changes they've made.

The stories of Bevo getting up in front of the group and saying (paraphrased) "my tactics were wrong. They're not working and I set you up for failure. We need to change" is one of the most impressive pieces of leadership I've heard of in my time following AFL. I wonder what influence Lade on that?

So... What did he change?

- realised the 4 talls wasn't working. Increased our ability to pressure the forward 50 ground ball.
    - changes in personnel - Darcy, McComb, West, Garcia, McLean saw more game time in the early rounds. Selections have generally been closely aligned with form, although JOD was very left field.
    - position changes, but also positional stability - JJ to half back being the main one. Arty Jones given time and confidence to develop. Lobb given time and confidence to figure out his role in our system. Macrae reduced CBAs, increases for Daniel/Treloar. Williams and Baker locked to the wing roles.
    - Bont beast mode

What else has changed? How have we been able to go 6-1?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Recovery of Season 2023

Liam Jones has been huge. He has exceeded expectations and has helped settle our defence.

He has also allowed Keath, Bruce and Gardner become second and third defenders.

The stats also show our defence and defensive mindset has changed and has dramatically improved since round 2.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Liam Jones has been huge. He has exceeded expectations and has helped settle our defence.

He has also allowed Keath, Bruce and Gardner become second and third defenders.

The stats also show our defence and defensive mindset has changed and has dramatically improved since round 2.
    Someone on here the other day said something along the lines of Liam Jones has just been ok or a disappointment or something and I was like, "wut?".
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    When we were 0-2 after a turning up of the toes against Melbourne and a surprise demolishing by the Aints, SACK BEVO was being shouted from the rooftops.

We have since gone 6-1. Our wins have included hard fought victories over the Lions, Blues and Tigers while our only loss was to a Port Power team who seem to have followed our path post disastrous end to 2021 (you're welcome). We very easily could have gone 7-0.

So, what changed? How did we get here? The great article from Cody Atkinson on the ABC (shared on here a few days back) detailed some of the reasons, but I think it is worth delving further in and giving our coaching staff some credit for the changes they've made.

The stories of Bevo getting up in front of the group and saying (paraphrased) "my tactics were wrong. They're not working and I set you up for failure. We need to change" is one of the most impressive pieces of leadership I've heard of in my time following AFL. I wonder what influence Lade on that?

- realised the 4 talls wasn't working. Increased our ability to pressure the forward 50 ground ball.
    - changes in personnel - Darcy, McComb, West, Garcia, McLean saw more game time in the early rounds. Selections have generally been closely aligned with form, although JOD was very left field.
    - position changes, but also positional stability - JJ to half back being the main one. Arty Jones given time and confidence to develop. Lobb given time and confidence to figure out his role in our system. Macrae reduced CBAs, increases for Daniel/Treloar. Williams and Baker locked to the wing roles.
    - Bont beast mode

Williams has been probably the best he's been since 21. That stability in his role might be why.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Williams has been probably the best he's been since 21. That stability in his role might be why.
    I think Truck has provided us with more value than ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think Truck has provided us with more value than ever.
    I think if I had nicknames of Truck and Horse, and I’d been playing really well, I’d prefer the fans to run with Horse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I think if I had nicknames of Truck and Horse, and I?d been playing really well, I?d prefer the fans to run with Horse.
    I guess it depends mostly on what you're compensating for.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that sticks out for me is the way we've tackled since the Saints game, we're putting a heap of heat into them now with Macrae the stand out.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    One thing that sticks out for me is the way we've tackled since the Saints game, we're putting a heap of heat into them now with Macrae the stand out.
    Whilst I agree our tackling numbers are much improved, I can't agree that Macrae is the stand out... The Bont's tackling numbers are off the charts good over the past 7 games averaging 8 tackles per game.

Post Thanks / Like

We trained the whole summer for a better defensive system, but come round 1 and 2 it wasn't working. I think Bevo tweaked it a bit and now we are one of the hardest teams to score against. This has also resulted in us not kicking big scores, but enough to win.

We have also changed up our midfield with Bont becoming more inside and smashing clearances yet he is also still good on the outside. Guys like Treloar, Smith are also spending more time at centre bounces, so our mix is better with one less mid to stick at HFF and then we are able to bring in an extra forward like Arty.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- Bont beast mode

Great thread Jazzadogs.

The shell shock and impact to the coaches and playing group in the manner in which the Dees dismantled us in round one could have easily carried over into round 2 against the Saints but that reduces the fact with how well the Saints played and prepared against us and how we also just had a very dirty day against them.
    The magnitude of those losses and given the next game was against the highly rated Brisbane side certainly created a lot of conversations on here and every other sites questioning the Bevo's capability to manage and motivate us and even questioned the quality of our list.

I don't know if we have really recovered but more or less we simply got back to playing closer to our potential and there is still a way to go. From my perspective we still have a strong playing list and I'd imagine the coaching crew tweaked a few things but I remain optimistic that we haven't yet hit our potential and our best footy is still to come.

In summary, I don't think much has changed but maybe some tweaks here and there has resulted in an improved performance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The stories of Bevo getting up in front of the group and saying (paraphrased) "my tactics were wrong. They're not working and I set you up for failure. ...
    If this actually happened it alone would be the biggest change from Bevo since 2016.

It seems he has started almost every season with a radical view and persisted with it until the season is almost done. As a consequence we have scraped into finals on a few occasions but with nothing to offer.

2021 was set up with a fantastic opening fixture that almost guaranteed the 6 zip start and we carried that momentum until we tanked a few late to miss top 4.

The fixture this year was set up to test us and the initial look only gave us the Saints game as relatively easy. We were clearly under prepared for them.

However, the change now has us well ahead of where we might have been giving that a 1-5 start would have been the expected result from 2022 form.

What is now needed is continued consistent effort without the throwing away of winnable games.
    It is in our control to be top 4 if we bring the effort for full games every week.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A big part of it is Libba. Ok Bont is great and Liam Jones has been a big difference but Libbas praises being sung by plenty of analysts. King, Bucks, Cornes and Champion data

19. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Club Records for Clearances (1998 onward):

14 - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (R8 2023)
    14 - JACK MACRAE (R6 2023)
    14 - Tom Liberatore (R22 2013)
    14 - Simon Garlick (R10 1999)
    13 - TOM LIBERATORE (R9 2023) & 9 Others

Honourable mention Bailey Smith 10 (Career Best) in Round 9, Adam Treloar 10 (Best of 11) in Round 4 & Caleb Daniel 8 (Career Best) in Round 9.

Leaders in the midfield are racking up huge numbers in this recent run of form.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Honourable mention to Tim English, excellent before this week