Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  74
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Recovery of Season 2023

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    This is also going to help. We have statistically the third easiest run home.
    LOL.
    LOL.
    LOL.

Now we know we have the 3rd easiest run home, what chance do we possibly have?

Dislike. Dislike. Dislike!!!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    we have some history of playing in Darwin
    Not sure our history will help much having not played there for 10 years.

Trivia question - only 5 players are still playing in the AFL from our team the last time we played in Darwin in 2013 (4 with us, 1 at another club). Can anybody name them without looking it up?

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea and will not provide too much insight but when you consider that North got >80 points against us in the practice match it is clear now in hindsight, that we would make a soft kill early on while we were tweaking our defense. This was compounded by Jones missing from both games for considerable chunks. Since then we have been better at defending and I hope the team defense can continue to grow and build chemistry. This appears to have come at a cost of our attacking prowess, with better ball movement and decision making, not to mention a more cohesive forward set up that doesn't involve Jamarra and Naughton spoiling each other,I hope we can increase our scores and with that percentage to cement a top-4 spot

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Trivia question - only 5 players are still playing in the AFL from our team the last time we played in Darwin in 2013 (4 with us, 1 at another club). Can anybody name them without looking it up?
    My guess is JJ Macrae Libba Jones (Might have been too early for Bont) and Hunter (or Stringer) could be either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    My guess is JJ Macrae Libba Jones (Might have been too early for Bont) and Hunter (or Stringer) could be either
    Nice work. Bont not drafted until the end of 2013. Hunter debuted later in the season, so Stringer was the other.

Post Thanks / Like

I said in another thread that the first two games burned me badly, and I don't think I've recovered form that. I've not really been watching full games because I still don't trust the team; I still don't know which bulldogs will show up.

That being said, When I did finally tune in to the fourth quarter, I gritted my teeth through the see-sawing because there was something there that I haven't seen this season, and between Libba, Smith and Arty, we just got it done with a bit of grit and a lot of class.

I like the comment in the OP about Bevo owning the mistake and making the change to the game plan. I hope it's true, because if it is it pretty much redeems him. It's tempting to read him as stuck in his ways and less flexible than he demands his players be, if those reports are accurate than that's just an incredible bit of leadership from him.

One of the commentators on Fox said during the weekend's game that this round is the one where fatigue starts to set in. I don't know if that's true but I hope it is, because if it is it means that despite starting slow, we've come out of the honeymoon period hardened and ready to keep going.

But I've seen Collingwood and Melbourne play football this year, so I'm not ready to go all in again.

8. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say with any certainty what has actually changed, but just on my own feeling and observations:

1. Physicality has lifted. While our tackling is still ordinary, the intent has gone up a notch and we are playing a more physically robust game. Bont has lead the charge there, adding a real bullocking element to his game. Jones is showing something up front in this respect, Macrae has returned to a more hard nosed approach after looking slow and soft. English is pretty strong in the contests now too.

2. I think we are kicking the ball longer more often. No stats to back it up, just a hunch based on Baker's efforts and Williams getting his hands on it more.

3. Best players are in good form, or better.

I'm not convinced we've turned the corner yet. Beat one of Adelaide or Geelong and deal with the Suns, I'd be more comfortable to frank our form. Go 3/3 I'll stick Bevo's badge back on my scarf and put away the axe until the end of the year.

10. Thanks GVGjr, jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL.
    LOL.
    LOL.

Now we know we have the 3rd easiest run home, what chance do we possibly have?

Dislike. Dislike. Dislike!!!
    Apparently it was the 8th hardest at the beginning of the season.

I don't look at Adelaide, GC, Rich and think "Certain win".

This weekend is huge.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well, to tell you the truth Aza, reading the thread not many have answered the OP. Most talk about individual players and not what we have done differently from round 3 as a team
    Thanks BAD. I would really love to know what tactical changes have actually been observed. I haven't been able to attend in person as often as usual, and the telecast is horrible - so what has changed in our setups?

Has our zone adjusted? Are we playing more in the 'last line' which has prevented the 'out the back' goals? Or has that been done by increasing pressure on the ball carrier?

The stats are obvious that we are conceding less, defending the ground more easily, and rebounding more effectively - but I'd love to know HOW we're doing it.

I agree our pressure and defensive intent is better - but surely there is more to it than that. What did we get wrong in the first two rounds, and correct so effectively??

14. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I said in another thread that the first two games burned me badly, and I don't think I've recovered form that. I've not really been watching full games because I still don't trust the team; I still don't know which bulldogs will show up.

That being said, When I did finally tune in to the fourth quarter, I gritted my teeth through the see-sawing because there was something there that I haven't seen this season, and between Libba, Smith and Arty, we just got it done with a bit of grit and a lot of class.

I like the comment in the OP about Bevo owning the mistake and making the change to the game plan. I hope it's true, because if it is it pretty much redeems him. It's tempting to read him as stuck in his ways and less flexible than he demands his players be, if those reports are accurate than that's just an incredible bit of leadership from him.

One of the commentators on Fox said during the weekend's game that this round is the one where fatigue starts to set in. I don't know if that's true but I hope it is, because if it is it means that despite starting slow, we've come out of the honeymoon period hardened and ready to keep going.

But I've seen Collingwood and Melbourne play football this year, so I'm not ready to go all in again.
    This was mentioned in the Libba thread. The fact that we've played on the road so much and also in some really wet slogs, we'd be gassed more than most. On top of that we were coming up against a really emotionally charged Carlton side with their backs against the wall. They hit the lead twice in the last quarter and we still responded. It was a superb win all things considered.

16. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Thanks BAD. I would really love to know what tactical changes have actually been observed. I haven't been able to attend in person as often as usual, and the telecast is horrible - so what has changed in our setups?

Has our zone adjusted? Are we playing more in the 'last line' which has prevented the 'out the back' goals? Or has that been done by increasing pressure on the ball carrier?

The stats are obvious that we are conceding less, defending the ground more easily, and rebounding more effectively - but I'd love to know HOW we're doing it.

I agree our pressure and defensive intent is better - but surely there is more to it than that. What did we get wrong in the first two rounds, and correct so effectively??
    I really watch to enjoy and don't feel that I can be the analyst.

However, I have observed that we are less likely to be gifting the territory on turnover.

Particularly the GWS game we really were there to make them earn the goals even though they managed 4 in succession.

The second was from a scrimmage where English had got back and should have probably been paid the mark.
    The third goal came when Richards covered the ground ball and was taken high with no free kick awarded.

In the earlier games against Melbourne, Saints and Richmond there was nobody there to contest and the goals just flowed.

I would say we have made a determined effort to be in position to defend. English gets back a lot and we have even had Jamarra and Naughton going back to help defend late in games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

Wish I could help Jazza but I'm not observant enough to pick up on what exactly has changed.

I'd be curious to know what Bevo supposedly admitted to getting wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems Bevo's ability to fess up that the preseason game plan was wrong as it seemed and changed it!
    Incredible effort to then change plan maybe with Lade's support and the team adjusts and consolidates the changes. Very impressive.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Time flies when you are having fun. I didn't think it was that long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

While we haven't been to Darwin for 10 years we have maintained a perfect record whenever we have played within the Tropical Latitudes since then.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured