Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace saying that...

...he played Bevo in the RUCK in the 1994 Reserves grand final on the McGinlay/Boyd podcast might have explained more about the past 9 years of our AFL experience in 30-seconds than countless articles and talking head shows ever could.

Apparently Bevo 'DOMINATED' around the ground, was like an extra midfielder and a key to the outcome.

So - there ya go Dunks. Bevo just looked at you and saw....HIMSELF.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace saying that...

Incredible.

Who were Bevo's opponents?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Incredible.

Who were Bevo's opponents?
    Lilliputians.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's such an interesting character and he interviews so well.
    Really enjoyed this interview.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's such an interesting character and he interviews so well.
    Really enjoyed this interview.
    It was fantastic. He's a different unit but is so comfortable in his skin...had to laugh when he spoke about being "comfortable in front of the camera's" during the YOTD season (96). Like, no sh!t!!

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best interviews in what is a very good group.
    Plough is a great thinker and historian of his time with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Got to know him a little and he is such a top bloke. A people’s person , no arrogance and will talk to anyone . Proof being me :-)
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...he played Bevo in the RUCK in the 1994 Reserves grand final on the McGinlay/Boyd podcast might have explained more about the past 9 years of our AFL experience in 30-seconds than countless articles and talking head shows ever could.

Apparently Bevo 'DOMINATED' around the ground, was like an extra midfielder and a key to the outcome.

So - there ya go Dunks. Bevo just looked at you and saw....HIMSELF.
    You know who was the puppet master of that interview right?

Some strange fella on here who runs the place.

GVG himself. Wonder how much money he made?

I'll have to have a listen.

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry was a bit of a changing of the guard for us (or at least for me and my family), following the YOTD doco. Everything that I had grown up with in the 70s / 80s / 90s steeled me as a Bulldogs supporter, we were irrelevant even when we were good. Everyone knew that we would be put back in our place, we'd never win a flag. We were a laughing stock but after that doco and what came directly after really did lift us out of the quagmire. There was a comment in there at a board meeting which went along the lines of we're not going to accept mediocrity anymore and why not us or something to that extent and I believe we have held true to that since 96. Sure there were more dark days under Rohde to follow but there wasn't the decade long pain we'd witnessed previously.

Terry played such a big part raising this club off its knees in more ways than one. I can't think of another coach since Whitten who refused to accept that the Bulldogs role in the VFL / AFL was to be the perenially down-trodden easy beats of the competition. He reignited the heart of the club and my family and I will be forever be grateful to him for it, despite the way he departed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Terry was a bit of a changing of the guard for us (or at least for me and my family), following the YOTD doco. Everything that I had grown up with in the 70s / 80s / 90s steeled me as a Bulldogs supporter, we were irrelevant even when we were good. Everyone knew that we would be put back in our place, we'd never win a flag. We were a laughing stock but after that doco and what came directly after really did lift us out of the quagmire. There was a comment in there at a board meeting which went along the lines of we're not going to accept mediocrity anymore and why not us or something to that extent and I believe we have held true to that since 96. Sure there were more dark days under Rohde to follow but there wasn't the decade long pain we'd witnessed previously.

Terry played such a big part raising this club off its knees in more ways than one. I can't think of another coach since Whitten who refused to accept that the Bulldogs role in the VFL / AFL was to be the perenially down-trodden easy beats of the competition. He reignited the heart of the club and my family and I will be forever be grateful to him for it, despite the way he departed.
    Spot on mate. Well said.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah fine words 1-eye

Wallace's half year in 1996 really set up the team to rocket up the ladder in 1997

He lifted the standards and professionalism, he was innovative with the game plan, he built around some great young talent, but supplemented it with kids, and good state leaguers (Monty, Powell etc) and as you note he pushed the club to be better, more attractive, more open to the media, better at selling itself, and aspiring to more.

He deserves to be remembered as one of the all-time great Bulldog coaches

16. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest, Dry Rot, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100% spot on. I hated the way he left the club but he fundamentally changed our entire attitude and identity ever since he became senior coach. We had some success under Malthouse and Wheeler but the attitude was more like we were lucky to be in finals, whereas Plough demanded and expected us to make finals.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes EasternWest, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed this episode and I was a big fan of Wallet as both a player and coach. Like Sedat said, I hated the way he left the club, but we were in turmoil financially at the time and he got a better offer. (which didn't work out)

If it wasn't for Campbell Rose, we would have struggled to survive. As one measure to cut costs, Campbell asked players and coaches to take a pay cut which Terry wasn't keen to do.

Terry was also a very good player for us and from memory won a B&F in his first or second year. His coaching methods were innovative at the time and he introduced a number of different things, like the warm up 20 minutes before the game. Teams in the past warmed up in the rooms then ran on to the ground for the start of the match.

A great era that set us up for the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Terry was also a very good player for us and from memory won a B&F in his first or second year.
    Won 2x B&F's as a player.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Terry was also a very good player for us and from memory won a B&F in his first or second year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Won 2x B&F's as a player.
    You're both right - won the B&F in 88 and 89 - his first and second years at the club.