Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wallace saying that...

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Terry was a bit of a changing of the guard for us (or at least for me and my family), following the YOTD doco. Everything that I had grown up with in the 70s / 80s / 90s steeled me as a Bulldogs supporter, we were irrelevant even when we were good. Everyone knew that we would be put back in our place, we'd never win a flag. We were a laughing stock but after that doco and what came directly after really did lift us out of the quagmire. There was a comment in there at a board meeting which went along the lines of we're not going to accept mediocrity anymore and why not us or something to that extent and I believe we have held true to that since 96. Sure there were more dark days under Rohde to follow but there wasn't the decade long pain we'd witnessed previously.

Terry played such a big part raising this club off its knees in more ways than one. I can't think of another coach since Whitten who refused to accept that the Bulldogs role in the VFL / AFL was to be the perenially down-trodden easy beats of the competition. He reignited the heart of the club and my family and I will be forever be grateful to him for it, despite the way he departed.
    A very good post, 9th like. Honourable mention to Mick Malthouse for his influence in not accepting mediocrity and ending the culture of me-players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Incredible.

Who were Bevo's opponents?
    Bless the minds behind FNWB who've uploaded this tilt in its glorious entirety.

Fondly recall working part-time behind a bar in a corporate lounge on the day and finding every excuse imaginable to avoid actual work while the ressies made history.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes Mofra, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Bless the minds behind FNWB who've uploaded this tilt in its glorious entirety.

Farken Ch 7 couldn't spell Daniel Hargreaves' name correctly
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    One of the best interviews in what is a very good group.
    Plough is a great thinker and historian of his time with us.
    I give him credit for the flood , it was a tactic used to beat a rampant essendon that finals bound year of them, I can't recall what year.

But loved seeing the attacking footy our team played during his era: Eagleton, Nathan Brown, and even Scotty West kicking bags in his early years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    100% spot on. I hated the way he left the club but he fundamentally changed our entire attitude and identity ever since he became senior coach. We had some success under Malthouse and Wheeler but the attitude was more like we were lucky to be in finals, whereas Plough demanded and expected us to make finals.
    Many felt the same with regards to the way Wallace left so much so that the club never allowed a good bye game to go ahead for him. There was a chance that had the good bye game gone ahead for Wallace there would have been trouble from the stands.

There are many also that did not like the role Wallace played in the outing of Joyce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    You know who was the puppet master of that interview right?

Some strange fella on here who runs the place.

GVG himself. Wonder how much money he made?

I'll have to have a listen.
    Having seen him interviewed at the East West Legends night a few years back I was confident he was ideal for the podcast.
    I might be bold and suggest two others.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Eagleton, Nathan Brown, and even Scotty West kicking bags in his early years.
    Out of necessity (no disrespect to Loaf and Cooky, but we weren't blessed with long-term key forwards), he was very innovative with regard to small forward rotations inside F50 to isolate and exploit mis-matches in our favour. In addition to the 3 players mentioned, he also got Rohan Smith, Simon Garlick and of course Brad Johnson into the rotations and they all kicked big bags up forward.

Apart from Darren Jarman (), no other coaches did this consistently before Plough. Unfortunately Plough's penchant for unpredictability became predictable in 2001 and 2002.

He was an excellent, innovative coach in his prime.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First coach to bring out the footballs during pre-season before December too IIRC
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite era of going to the footy was 1997/1998

Lunch on Lygon street first; wonder down to the ground.

Game plan was full on attack and more often than not we'd have a ten goal quarter and blow teams out of the water.

Was such an exciting time to support the dogs.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My favourite era of going to the footy was 1997/1998

Lunch on Lygon street first; wonder down to the ground.

Game plan was full on attack and more often than not we'd have a ten goal quarter and blow teams out of the water.

Was such an exciting time to support the dogs.
    Agree. I also think it had a lot to do with the gap between expectations and reality. That's basically what happiness is. In 1996 we were so, so poor. In every facet of the club. Wallace brought such a new spark of energy to the club. We could not believe what were witnessing in 1997. The reality of 1997 Vs out expectations were so wide that our brains could not handle the overdosing of football dopamine. We were high. (The opposite to the 2017 season).

This is slight off topic but is worth a read https://collabfund.com/blog/what-makes-you-happy/

14. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love Terry.

He left in really rocky circumstances and you can hear that it hurts him to think the relationship soured further than just moving on at one point.

In all, he is a legend and one of my favourite Footscray people. He should feel welcome at VUWO and IMO is absolutely loved and respected. Even if folk felt differently at one point, time heals all wounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Nathan Brown... I hated Wallace so much for leaving because I loved him so much at our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DISHLICKERS View Post
    Many felt the same with regards to the way Wallace left so much so that the club never allowed a good bye game to go ahead for him. There was a chance that had the good bye game gone ahead for Wallace there would have been trouble from the stands.

There are many also that did not like the role Wallace played in the outing of Joyce.
    The only problem I have with the outing of Joyce is that it should have happened earlier.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Likes 1eyedog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Like Nathan Brown... I hated Wallace so much for leaving because I loved him so much at our club.
    Ditto.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Out of necessity (no disrespect to Loaf and Cooky, but we weren't blessed with long-term key forwards), he was very innovative with regard to small forward rotations inside F50 to isolate and exploit mis-matches in our favour. In addition to the 3 players mentioned, he also got Rohan Smith, Simon Garlick and of course Brad Johnson into the rotations and they all kicked big bags up forward.

Apart from Darren Jarman (), no other coaches did this consistently before Plough. Unfortunately Plough's penchant for unpredictability became predictable in 2001 and 2002.

He was an excellent, innovative coach in his prime.
    I look at this era was with such great hope ( we had a great chance to win a Premireship except for Jarman magic , twice he killed us), but very sad disappointment at opportunity lost. WE played an exciting brand of footy and was fun to watch all these players kick bags of goals.

So many iconic players. Sutherland, Gregic, Scotty west, Libba, Croft, even Curly ( before the umpire touch), Grant , even Campbell! was simon atkins playing during this time ?

We just missed another big forward which would have stood us in good stead to run to the finals.