Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  95
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned from Rd10 vs Adelaide 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Can you imagine if we tried to outbid Sydney like some of us (me) wanted to?

Lobb is a frankly hilariously easy target but he’s getting better every week and his ruck work is fully good. I still think the extra second was an overpay but he’s doing a really nice job.
    Marra is enjoying it as well having Lobb up forward as he is now getting the 3rd or 4th best defender as Lobb takes 1 or 2 best.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Weightman is maturing into a good all round small forward, other than a high flying show pony. Great pressure work.

2. TOB is handy if played in the right role..

3. Scott deserves to be in the side as a small forward. Him, Arty and Flea are a good trio and complement the three talls.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Boots, Curly5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - Our forward line frustrates me no end. They can execute some exciting things but stuff up the easy options.
    2 - I thought all of our defenders were first rate today. Shame about JJ.
    3 - If we are going to stick with O'Donnell it has to be as a defender.

I'm going to add a 4th one, really impressed with the way we lined up alongside of the Crows players with the tribute before the game.
    Exceptional stuff.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's a Dorian Grey thing. Right now Happy Days has a very sore back, his knees are shot and his hair is receding.
    All sounds very suss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    All sounds very suss.
    It’s true. My hair is not receding.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Baldness is passed on, not by the father but the mother.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody tell him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

1. Scott just takes his chances when he gets them. No longer a bit-player, he's legitimately dangerous
    2. Cody Weightman can play as an 'uphill skiier' - doing the unheralded stuff
    3. Arty's trajectory this year is ahead of even the most optimistic projection. His continual improvement is amazing to watch
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our defence, led by Jones, has been outstanding. The highest score kicked against us since Rd 2 has been 71. Our mids have also played a part in this effort. It really shows that defence is the cornerstone of success.

2. After an ordinary 2022 Bailey Williams has stepped. He and Baker provide important links between our defence and forwards. The ability of both to hit the scoreboard is a bonus.

3. Anthony Scott really is Mr Versatile - finding himself more in the forward line this year but also bobbing up in other parts of the ground as required.

Post Thanks / Like

1. JOD looks capable at this level as a defender in this system. When JJ went off, he went back and while his efforts were good all day, his impact seemed to go up. He’s a great size, and really decisive with his physical efforts. Big opportunity for him to offer us something down there we weren’t necessarily expecting this season.

2. Baz might‘ve needed Adz to go down to remind him that he can be a big dog. Showing his real strengths again after looking like a somewhat tempered version of the star player he was tracking towards.

3. I like the two games in Ballarat more than I initially expected. It’s a niche experience in a footy world that can be pretty vanilla. Fewer bells and whistles, but also less of an assault on the senses. Crowd makes the atmosphere and its a good vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    1. JOD looks capable at this level as a defender in this system. When JJ went off, he went back and while his efforts were good all day, his impact seemed to go up. He’s a great size, and really decisive with his physical efforts. Big opportunity for him to offer us something down there we weren’t necessarily expecting this season.

2. Baz might‘ve needed Adz to go down to remind him that he can be a big dog. Showing his real strengths again after looking like a somewhat tempered version of the star player he was tracking towards.

3. I like the two games in Ballarat more than I initially expected. It’s a niche experience in a footy world that can be pretty vanilla. Fewer bells and whistles, but also less of an assault on the senses. Crowd makes the atmosphere and its a good vibe.

I agree with all the points you've made

JOD makes a far better impact by playing as a defender and we can't keep trialing him as a forward at the moment.
    Baz has been building to this sort of form for a while.
    It's a great experience going to games at Ballarat and the staff I met or dealt with yesterday were all friendly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

You are so right about this. I’m sure no one missed the bombardment of screeching noise and the flashing lights. And leaving the ground, hearing thump, thump, thump of footies as families did kick to kick on the ground was really nostalgic but would be a new experience for quite a few kids.

What I learnt:
    1. The turnaround from round 2 was on display. Complete buy in and commitment in tricky conditions in a situation that had danger game written all over it.
    2. The Liam Jones comeback has been well beyond my expectations. He’s a reminder too of how long some guys can take to mature. From a flaky and inconsistent forward who seemed to not quite have the right stuff, to this guy who is brave and super aggressive at the ball.
    3. Doc Duryea is more than just the tactical leader. He’s slowly worked himself back to playing really good football.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With JOD starting fwd yesterday and playing there all game vs Carlton, has Bevo re-created the 4 headed monster fwd line that failed miserably in Rds 1-2. Haven’t we simply replaced a 208 cm player in Darcy with an equally athetlic altho slightly shorter (197 cm) player in JOD?
    Love going to Ballarat - has 1970s WO vibes about it.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

18. Likes SonofScray, GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    With JOD starting fwd yesterday and playing there all game vs Carlton, has Bevo re-created the 4 headed monster fwd line that failed miserably in Rds 1-2. Haven’t we simply replaced a 208 cm player in Darcy with an equally athetlic altho slightly shorter (197 cm) player in JOD?
    Love going to Ballarat - has 1970s WO vibes about it.
    The four headed monster of rounds 1 and 2 didn’t have Weightman and Artie Jones buzzing around the forward fifty. Is JOD a contributing factor to the reduction in opposition intercept marks, or is that happening independent of him?
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Baldness is passed on, not by the father but the mother.
    That's a fact. My Nan had a natural mohican by the time she passed.