Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 12 v Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Who JOD matched up against if it was Casbolt it was break even.
    I thought Gardiner went to Casboult most of the night with O'Brien on Lukosius.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a live game since 29 April so this post is in ignorance of what's currently happening on field. Pre 29 April, losses weren't the fault of the much maligned defence, games were lost in the forward line with the midfield not too far behind. Macrae, Naughton, Daniel, Weightman (2023 version), Ugle-Hagan and Lobb neither keep the ball in nor pressure the opposition defence once it gains possession. Naughton's good when the ball's in dispute, as is Macrae, and he does harass but otherwise none of the rest of them chase. The mids are good in close but once the ball gets out and into the hands of the opposition, Libber excepted, it's jog time, Smith and Williams included. The way the ball goes into the opposition forward line, under minimal pressure, presents a nightmare for intercept, zone defenders. If I was Bev, I'd have had Lobb, Ugle-Hagan, Smith, Williams playing in the full back line in the VFL, with Weightman to join them as soon as he was fit, after round 3 (Presciently, I'd have made sure that Ugle-Hagan played as a forward in round 3) until they got the message. I might be only an internet poster but Bev's only coached 1 more AFL premiership than me. I'm looking forward to seeing O'Donnell play on Saturday night. Just quietly, I think Bev kept him in the side just for me.

3. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I haven't seen a live game since 29 April so not only really looking forward to it but this post is in ignorance of what's currently happening on field. Pre 29 April, losses weren't the fault of the much maligned defence, games were lost in the forward line with the midfield not too far behind them. [FONT="]Macrae, Naughton, Daniel, W[/FONT]eightman (2023 version), Ugle-Hagan and Lobb neither keep the ball in nor pressure the opposition defence once it gains possession. Naughton's good when the ball's in dispute, as is Macrae, and he does harass but otherwise none of the rest of them chase. The mids are good in close but once the ball gets out and into the hands of the opposition, Libber excepted, it's jog time, Smith and Williams included. The way the ball goes into the opposition forward line, under minimal pressure, presents a nightmare for intercept, zoned defenders. If I was Bev, I'd have had Lobb, Ugle-Hagan, Smith, Williams playing in the full back line in the VFL, with Weightman to join them as soon as he was fit, after round 3 (Presciently, I'd have made sure that Ugle-Hagan played as a forward in round 3) until they got the message. I'm looking forward to seeing O'Donnell play on Saturday night. Just quietly, I think Bev kept him in the side just for me.
    Agree with most of this (especially the JOD part ha ha) but think you're a bit harsh on Marra. I think his forward line pressure is ok.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One thing I haven't seen Poulter do well is use any height advantage he has.
    He's closer to Cheesy Barlow than Isaac Smith like that.
    Or Everett.

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Agree with most of this (especially the JOD part ha ha) but think you're a bit harsh on Marra. I think his forward line pressure is ok.
    Thankyou, EW. There's a difference between when the ball's in dispute, cynically, I observe that the closer to goal, the more desperate our forwards become, and when the ball's on the way out. The former, Naughton's brilliant at it, yields the occasional goal but the latter = defenders waltzing out of forward 50, under no pressure and able to place the ball to advantage. Watch for it on Saturday night.

PS You are quick off the mark, I added a sentence to my O'Donnell part whilst you were posting.

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Thankyou, EW. There's a difference between when the ball's in dispute, cynically, I observe that the closer to goal, the more desperate our forwards become, and when the ball's on the way out. The former, Naughton's brilliant at it, yields the occasional goal but the latter = defenders waltzing out of forward 50, under no pressure and able to place the ball to advantage. Watch for it on Saturday night.
    What we massively miss in our forward craft is bringing the ball to ground to advantage. If you want a great example, it was in round 7, when Dixon tapped the ball to Rioli's advantaged and he managed to goal. Dixon knew he was out of position and was smart enough to put the ball in Rioli's area. I don't really see that in the games we play. All the forwards fly for the mark and they get into each other's way. I watched the footage again and Dixon was just so smart, he knew he was going to be double teamed so Rioli's player would be free!

There was a footage last week of Naughton flying for the mark and Weightman stopping himself as he saw Naughton already up there, he should have been waiting at the foot of the pack. It was very frustrating to watch, as the first thing came to my mind was NO crumbing prescence. Weightman was not even in position!

@3.42 mins Port vs St kilda ( choked) r7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1qs2TC6Sc

10. Likes EasternWest, Scorlibo, 1eyedog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    What we massively miss in our forward craft is bringing the ball to ground to advantage. If you want a great example, it was in round 7, when Dixon tapped the ball to Rioli's advantaged and he managed to goal. Dixon knew he was out of position and was smart enough to put the ball in Rioli's area. I don't really see that in the games we play. All the forwards fly for the mark and they get into each other's way. I watched the footage again and Dixon was just so smart, he knew he was going to be double teamed so Rioli's player would be free!

There was a footage last week of Naughton flying for the mark and Weightman stopping himself as he saw Naughton already up there, he should have been waiting at the foot of the pack. It was very frustrating to watch, as the first thing came to my mind was NO crumbing prescence. Weightman was not even in position!

Spot on. Not only that, all of the 3 talls plus Weightman, want to take the big run from behind and the speccie, none take up the, albeit vulnerable, position in front and until Jones, no front and centre. Naughton, Lobb and Ugle-Hagan all have different capacities and inclinations, Naughton the high flying target, Ugle-Hagan the agile lead, Lobb the high ball option. That's not how they play. But my main criticism is that the 3 of them don't/won't chase.

12. Likes macca, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    W...
    Thankyou for that link. It reminds me that AFL players do what human being's bodies aren't designed to do. I recall 'Billy' Kolyniuk running, flat out, towards the Members Wing at the WO all those years ago. Billy was running with the flight of the ball looking over his shoulders and upwards. From the waist down, like an Olympics 100 metre dash participant, in a straight line., flat out Above his waist, revolving side to side to watch the ball. I tried it, fell over within 10 metres. These blokes are supermen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I thought Gardiner went to Casboult most of the night with O'Brien on Lukosius.
    This is not correct.. kicked his last 3 on Gardner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This is not correct.. kicked his last 3 on Gardner.
    I am hot and cold on Gardner. I have my doubts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Think he is one dimensional

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Doesn’t mark it enough for mine and has a habit of punching ball to oppo benefit. I put him in category of an honest trier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Still finding feet this season.
    Hopefully improves with the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Gardner is like most ok-ish KPDs. He looks good/bad depending largely on how strong the defensive structure around him is. It fell apart vs Suns and he was exposed. Gardy is 'honest' and he will do his thing as part of a sound team defence. He can't really mark, he can panic but he also is able to get on his bike and run all game. Keath and Bruce are more able to mark but are both clunky. TOB can kick and intercept but isn't able to play on bigger guys and makes critical errors. Busslinger looks good but is raw, which is fine as he is a first year player.

I feel like our 2nd best KPD is pretty equal to our 6th best. I don't mind Gardy as if things aren't working, the other guys aren't saving us anyway. I think there's a spot for Bruce replacing Gardner though if he can show a bit more with foot skills.