Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  126
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 12 v Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The AFL site in the mix article this week has Vanders in the frame for what it's worth (probably not much), but we do like playing him when fit.
    You’d think he’d be ahead of Poulter if we wanted to bring in some run, but considering the early elevations of Gardner and JOD after selection you just don’t know what the MC is thinking. We are already missing JJ’s pace and run. Unfortunately neither of these guys give us his ball use.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I like Baker to HBF (might change mind 2 minutes into this happening). Poulter to the wing. Him and Truck give us marking options there too. Assuming Poulter has the tank to run out an AFL game on a wing. VDM or McNeil to offer pace as sub as I think guys like West, McLean, Hannan are going to do next to nothing anything, might as well try to get some type of value.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're moving a winger to HBF Williams makes more sense. Has Baker ever played HBF? Do we want a repeat of Hannan?

4. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have two wingers playing well.

Why are we moving them? All we are doing is making two positions worse.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes chef, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I like Baker to HBF (might change mind 2 minutes into this happening). Poulter to the wing. Him and Truck give us marking options there too. Assuming Poulter has the tank to run out an AFL game on a wing. VDM or McNeil to offer pace as sub as I think guys like West, McLean, Hannan are going to do next to nothing anything, might as well try to get some type of value.
    One thing I haven't seen Poulter do well is use any height advantage he has.
    He's closer to Cheesy Barlow than Isaac Smith like that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If we're moving a winger to HBF Williams makes more sense. Has Baker ever played HBF? Do we want a repeat of Hannan?
    Baker played HBF as a 18/19 yo in NEAFL. Truck I think is playing career best/most valuable footy on the wing. I think he gets panicky when he has to/tries to carry the ball down back. Baker I think is the better option in terms of replacing JJ's line breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We have two wingers playing well.

Why are we moving them? All we are doing is making two positions worse.
    I hear you but are we making two positions worse? What do we do with "JJ's spot"? Do we just give up on replacing the speed and going with another guy who can kick it well? Do we use Poulter?

I guess you are saying it's robbing Peter and Paul. With Baker, I'd do it if we end up being able to pay Paul more than we rob Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One thing I haven't seen Poulter do well is use any height advantage he has.
    He's closer to Cheesy Barlow than Isaac Smith like that.
    Yep, I have kinda fallen into what I am against, height doesn't auto making you a marking target/immobile et al. I think he is able to at least contest decently rather than specifically be a hit up. More of a nullifying a marking contest type than confidently going to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Baker played HBF as a 18/19 yo in NEAFL. Truck I think is playing career best/most valuable footy on the wing. I think he gets panicky when he has to/tries to carry the ball down back. Baker I think is the better option in terms of replacing JJ's line breaking.
    I'm also in the make the least disruptive decision camp.

I know they aren't 'pacey', but we have two more than serviceable options in Crozier and Clearly plugging away at half back for Footscray, and Laith who has spent time down back and does bring line-breaking speed.

For mine, I don't think it's a decision we need to be too clever about. We've lost a small half-back, bring the next one in that we think is closest to senior selection. We have Ed Richards and Bailey Dale down there as very good line-breaking options (either by foot or leg), Cleary is very neat by foot and Crozier isn't a liability with ball in hand either.

JJ's defensive game has been pretty underrated - I don't think he's really been allowed to run around without having responsibility for someone. We have no idea what Baker's defensive capabilities are like, and I doubt he's spent any time with the defensive group in his time at the club.

I haven't watched any of Footscray this year, but does Poulter's form warrant a re-shuffle to fit him onto a wing? The numbers don't look that way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I don't think it's a decision we need to be too clever about. We've lost a small half-back, bring the next one in that we think is closest to senior selection.
    What a great idea! You don't need to get three players to change roles to cover one injury. Leave the wingers alone. Bring in a half-back and if you want to set up a match-day contingency plan whereby if we weren't getting what we 'wanted' (whatever that might be) then go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea! You don't need to get three players to change roles to cover one injury. Leave the wingers alone. Bring in a half-back and if you want to set up a match-day contingency plan whereby if we weren't getting what we 'wanted' (whatever that might be) then go for it.
    This isn't Bevo's style.

Anyway there is only talk of one positional change, Baker to half back and potentially Poulter to a wing. I'm not sold on it either way. Baker has been okish on a wing I suppose but I'm not sure we'd be giving up a lot if we tried something different.

Truck I definately don't want moved.

I'd try VDM off half back before bringing in Poulter or moving Baker. Problem is we've been developing him as a forward for two years now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This isn't Bevo's style.
    You don't think Bevo has match day plans?

I continue to think Bevo is excellent...the left field selections every Thursday can be bamboozling but that's all part of it!

15. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't think Bevo has match day plans?

I continue to think Bevo is excellent...the left field selections every Thursday can be bamboozling but that's all part of it!
    I agree he's excellent. My feel is he works it all out during the week and largely sticks to it and backs his players in.

But that's just my feel and it is partly based on hearing him say just that i.e. the focus in the coaches box is backing in the system and players.

Does he move the magnets much? Maybe I'm reading into a lack of game day changes too much.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar in, McNeil and Hannan out.

No Dangerfield but Rohan is back to ass a goal from the boundary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Treloar in, McNeil and Hannan out.

No Dangerfield but Rohan is back to ass a goal from the boundary.
    It's puzzling to know why we are sticking with O'Donnell each week regardless of his form but other than that it was a predictable selection.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They are missing Danger, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Holmes from their midfield vs ours at full strength. No excuses