Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  114
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 18 v Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What is your defintion? Tap and that is it?
    I’d like my ruckman to be more like Ben Hudson or Toby Nankervis. They provide a physical presence who value one percenters, who block and make space for our midfielders.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes JanLorMill, Bumper Bulldogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Probably not but you can slot him in to JOD spot as the 3rd tall. Why can't we play Buss early but we can rush JOD into the team for an extended run? Gardner will get up, he's tough as nails, Buss can slot in JODs spot, it's a perfect time for his debut IMO.
    Fair point. JOD has contributed nothing at senior level. Buss couldn't be any worse.
    W00F!

4. Likes G-Mo77, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d like my ruckman to be more like Ben Hudson or Toby Nankervis. They provide a physical presence who value one percenters, who block and make space for our midfielders.
    Yes I like that too but I also want them to be handy around the ground with marking and not lumber around like the rucks of the past.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Ben Hudson any good or was he just popular because Bob Murphy wrote about him and was a hard at it scrapper in a side that was perceived to not have enough of those types?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Was Ben Hudson any good or was he just popular because Bob Murphy wrote about him and was a hard at it scrapper in a side that was perceived to not have enough of those types?
    The easy answer is
    Our ruck wasn’t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    The easy answer is
    Our ruck wasn’t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.
    A cursory look back at the stats from the preliminary finals of 08, 09 and 10 might show that in the former two our rucks seemed to have not performed that well.

But sure, if that's the easy answer for you, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

A cursory look back at the stats from the preliminary finals of 08, 09 and 10 might show that in the former two our rucks seemed to have not performed that well.

But sure, if that's the easy answer for you, go for it.
    The third man up helped us in those days.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    The easy answer is
    Our ruck wasn?t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.
    Hudson , halved the contest and won stoppages for us , see Jarrod Witts as same type of player
    Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work .
    The great beard him popular, cult like

Post Thanks / Like

Hudson was brilliant at the post-ruck stuff, using his body to block, tackling, etc
    His real forte was never ruckwork or marking as such, but his recovery from the tap was fantastic and did the non-stat stuff really well. He made our mids function better.

It was a different era though. Dean Cox was a freak in those days. Now most rucks are expected to contribute in possession chains and the 'never handball to a ruckman' rule is out the window.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The third man up helped us in those days.
    The third man up rule won us a flag. Scrapping it in 2017 really really hurt us

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Hudson , halved the contest and won stoppages for us , see Jarrod Witts as same type of player
    Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work .
    The great beard him popular, cult like
    Yep. Lucky he had Murphy on his side otherwise he never would've played 168 games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hudson was brilliant at the post-ruck stuff, using his body to block, tackling, etc
    His real forte was never ruckwork or marking as such, but his recovery from the tap was fantastic and did the non-stat stuff really well. He made our mids function better.

It was a different era though. Dean Cox was a freak in those days. Now most rucks are expected to contribute in possession chains and the 'never handball to a ruckman' rule is out the window.
    From memory of the stoppages , I would see Hudson at the base of the pack . Sadly the way the stupid subjective prior opportunity rules would have killed players like Hudson

Thanks for recalling those moments Mofra

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yep. Lucky he had Murphy on his side otherwise he never would've played 168 games.
    If you're tall, and considered a good bloke, you get an extra 5 years of an AFL career regardless.

Hudson retired more than John Farnham. Tom Campbell, Daniel Gorringe. Somehow Tom Hickey improved after age 30 but was in the same category. John Ceglar is still on an AFL list.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Hudson and thought he had some great traits, but can also acknowledge he wasn't great at giving his players first use and was extremely limited in other areas of the game.

However, I feel when we look back at his style we only remember the really good traits and forget the less than average/ ordinary ones. Tim doesn't get that luxury, in fact, it probably goes the other way for him.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Hudson and thought he had some great traits, but can also acknowledge he wasn't great at giving his players first use and was extremely limited in other areas of the game.

However, I feel when we look back at his style we only remember the really good traits and forget the less than average/ ordinary ones. Tim doesn't get that luxury, in fact, it probably goes the other way for him.
    Whilst I’m a fan of Tim. I think when he’s asking for over $1,000,000 a season to stay, many people start to really focus on his attributes. Leaving aside the question of if he’s worth it, that necessarily brings sharp focus. We can also remember Huddo based on what we paid to get him and what we paid him, and we can also remember giving up high picks for the likes of Peter Street. Why, because of the trade price. If he was a delisted free agent or rookie we’d be straining our brain to recall if Luke Goetz was selected by us or another club.

Tim is a serious player. I’d like him to stay on a fair contract. There’s an argument to say he could be deployed differently and be more effective. But if he’s given the club the ultimatum to play only first ruck then we have to accept it. Or go in another direction.

But big dollar demands and alleged first ruck ultimatums (is the coach/club using him to maximum effect) are the kind of things that get people really focussed on you.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

21. Likes Dry Rot liked this post