Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 10, 2023 vs Adelaide

This is the Round 10, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 10, 2023 vs Adelaide

Bankers
    Anthony Scott, again making the most of his opportunities with 2-1. today.
    Libba >> AA mid.
    The backline led by General Jones.

Anchors
    JJ's injury.
    Goalkicking inaccuracy, excusable at a cold Ballarat, surely we only play there for some AFL $, otherwise why would you bother ?

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. The workrate across the 22. That was as consistent a performance across four quarters from an effort, intent and focus perspective as I've seen for a while.

2. The lesser lights, Oscar Baker, Gardner, Anthony Scott, TOB, all gave performed their roles brilliantly. Baker's fitness and ability to handle pressure are really becoming a positive influence on the team.

3. It might be just me, but Jack Macrae's role seems to have changed in recent weeks, slightly. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he seems less prominent, but somehow more noticeable for the quality of influence he is having in more critical situations. It's like he's traded off say 5% involvement for a commensurate increase in output in quality for his other involvements.

Anchors

1. I know we ended up with more quite a few more free kicks than Adelaide, but it really seemed we still managed to get stiffed very badly by the umpires tonight. Arty Jone's copped a Malachi Crunch from off the top rope, one stage and it was play on. There were other examples

2. I know we could put up JJ's injury as evidence to not be playing at cold Ballarat westbulldog, but its one hamstring, we've had plenty more this and other years too in games that were played in much nicer playing conditions than yesterday's game.

If there was a consistent run of hammy's and such being pinged when we play there, over and above other venue's, then I'd be inclined to change my mind. But on the assumption that we've not suffered inordinately from soft tissue injuries at Ballarat, I really like the two fixtures a a season there.

I'd like to think we can turn that into our own patch, and cultivate not only the support of the town, but also the venue as a distinct home ground advantage for us. So the Banker is to Ballarat for giving us a unique football experience that we have the opportunity to build.

3. That should've been a 80-100 point victory based on most of the stats. It felt like it but for the atrocious finishing.

5. Likes macca, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers;

Baz - really relishing the increased responsibility. Didn't kick it great, but tough conditions and he gave us the line breaking we needed and set the tone early.

Macrae - really liked his game. He isn't accumulating the numbers he was previously capable of - but great signs in the last couple of weeks of him being more precise and impactful with disposal.

Bailey Dale - brought his own footy. Just ran the show at half back, doesn't fumble, backs himself. Has become a serious serious player. Amazing to think he was a fringe half forward a few years ago.

Anchors:

Baker - Like the run that he brings - but he's probably been a bit down in effectiveness for the last three games. Some of those up and under kicks don't do us much good.

Goal kicking - tricky conditions but we certainly left a minimum of 25 points on the table (ie. trade 5 behinds for 5 goals).

Pretty dominant performance, so hard to be critical. Not exactly sure what JOD is in the side for right now....certainly attacks the ball well, and there is something to work with, but he's in there too soon, so hopefully the experience helps him to go back and become a big contributor in the VFL for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Pretty dominant performance, so hard to be critical. Not exactly sure what JOD is in the side for right now....certainly attacks the ball well, and there is something to work with, but he's in there too soon, so hopefully the experience helps him to go back and become a big contributor in the VFL for a while.
    Who comes in instead? JOD a tough one I reckon, screams of having enormous potential but only ?almost? moments so far. I dont expect him to light it up at this stage - but he also looks raw. Just dont know who comes in instead? I have absolutely had it with Keath and so has Bevo by the look of it

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

- Full house at Mars. Stands looked packed
    - Sheer dominance across the ground for 4 quarters against a very good side this year
    - 2021 Baz on the park
    - Libba

Anchors

- Goal Kicking. Excruciating
    - umpiring in our F50. Every single contest naughton has his arms chopped. He was tripped in the second quarter
    - link up transition. Our fast ball movement was well off - imagine it was freezing out there