Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall - Goneski reported

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Cheers Topdog, I just wasn't sure how to insert it, so just supplied the link, which I assume works?
    It certainly did work. Shocking bit of footage. As for how to insert it, you must make a title (not sure why but it won't work without one), remove everything before the youtube code (the bits after v=).

If you click on quote post you can see what I have done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzN4Ly_yd9w

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think for what ever time Staker is out, Hall's sentence should start from when he comes back.

Whats crap about Aussie rules is Hall was allowed to play the game out(the injury was just karma) whilst WC were a man down. There is no more obvious a case for the sending off rule.
    What if this happened in a GF? Say knock out the best opposition player, win the premeirship because you are getting a kick whilst the opposition are an influential man down. Next year have a 6-8 week break at the start of the season. I'd do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Yep,

And I reckon the MRP will pass this one straight on.

If they don't, it least would have to be:
    Intentional (can be nothing else)
    High (no question)
    High Impact (rather than severe?)
    Behind Play (no question)

I make that 425 points and 4 weeks. No points hanging over his head, no good behaviour discount.

Less 25% for a guilty plea = 318 pts or 3 weeks (still enough to miss our game).

They'll pass it on for sure
    What a stupid system. If you plea guilty you shouldn't get less. You are admitting fault.
    Can't believe there is no points for his previous misdemeanours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    What a stupid system. If you plea guilty you shouldn't get less. You are admitting fault.
    Can't believe there is no points for his previous misdemeanours.
    But you're also saving the league the trouble of organising a tribunal hearing and the circus that goes with, not to mention the expense. No problem in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think the most disgraceful/amusing part of this incident was Barry Hall's body language immediately after he hit Staker. Arms stretch out to say - what did I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    But you're also saving the league the trouble of organising a tribunal hearing and the circus that goes with, not to mention the expense. No problem in my book.
    There is no need for a plea at all. It should an automatic x number of weeks. If he wanted to contest it then add to it if its a waste of time.
    The possibility of him getting only 3 weeks is ridiculous.
    The wording is just plain stupid x weeks for this offence, x-1 week if he pleads guilty. Well if you believe you are guilty why do you get a reduction?

Post Thanks / Like

Same as the law courts Ernie you plead guilty they lesson sentence, i suppose its regarded as you have recognized you have done wrong and wont do it again. Yeah right, Lawyers just use it for bargaining with each other.Try and keep the courts from wasting time in obvious cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Same as the law courts Ernie you plead guilty they lesson sentence, i suppose its regarded as you have recognized you have done wrong and wont do it again. Yeah right, Lawyers just use it for bargaining with each other.Try and keep the courts from wasting time in obvious cases.
    The wording is completely different in the AFL's case.
    People should plead not guilty if they believe they aren't guilty. They make it sound/feel like OK I'll plead guilty knowing I didn't really do it just so I get less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Yep,

And I reckon the MRP will pass this one straight on.

If they don't, it least would have to be:
    Intentional (can be nothing else)
    High (no question)
    High Impact (rather than severe?)
    Behind Play (no question)

I make that 425 points and 4 weeks. No points hanging over his head, no good behaviour discount.

Less 25% for a guilty plea = 318 pts or 3 weeks (still enough to miss our game).

They'll pass it on for sure

I think this will show the flaws in Angry Andersons points system.

The MRP panel will rank this the highest level in each category, and yet he will only get 4 weeks.

My understanding is that the MRP do not have the right to send it to the tribunal unless the points are over 500.

The MRP hands will be tied.

It will be then up to Anderson to show the flaws in HIS system and over rule the decision and send it to the tribunal.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Hall and Roos will be conducting a press conference around 5pm today so 3AW reported. No doubt an apology of sorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Heres another spin to it, can the police charge him with assault as it had nothing to do with the game, also Leigh Matthews got delisted off the AFL years ago or called something like that for an off the ball incident, isnt this much the same?
    Does Staker have to put in an assault charge to police for that to happen, which i dont think he would, suppose it depends if WCE think he should.

Post Thanks / Like

Very ordinary act by an out and out thug. The bloke is a boof head who relies soley on intimidating people because he was a champion boxer at some stage. Some people seem to think that these kinds of acts are acceptable if they take place on a sporting field?? I've been on the end of an unprovoked king hit and it put me in hospital. Not fun. I think if Staker has injuries he should have him charged with assult because that's exactly what it is.

I remember something happening with Granty and Hall a few years ago too that wasn't really investigated?? I'd love to see someone smack him with a hard fare bump.

Post Thanks / Like

Heres another spin to it, can the police charge him with assault as it had nothing to do with the game, also Leigh Matthews got delisted off the AFL years ago or called something like that for an off the ball incident, isnt this much the same?
    Does Staker have to put in an assault charge to police for that to happen, which i dont think he would, suppose it depends if WCE think he should.
    Technically he could - one of the defences to assault is 'amicable contest' - that is, where you participate in an event where you are likely to be hit - basically it's what stops any hit on the football field (or boxing ring for that matter) being considered assault.

Of course what Barry did was not part of playing football and would certainly be a chance of an assault charge.

Having said that, I doubt anyone would bother, particularly if he got a fair whack at the tribunal.

And yes, Staker would need to put in an official complaint to the police for it to even start.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he could be delisted by the AFL although i have no idea what that acheived with Leigh Matthews he just came back and played again.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he could be delisted by the AFL although i have no idea what that acheived with Leigh Matthews he just came back and played again.
    That was a different time. Matthews didn't get reported and there was no trial by video - it wasn't allowed for in the rules - but everyone saw it on TV so the VFL had to do something. Because they couldn't send him to the tribunal within the rules they deregistered him for 4 weeks for bringing the game into disrepute, it was the only thing they could get him for.

It's what brought in trial by video on the pretext it was to pick up behind the play incidents. Umpires were still supposed to report the 'in play' ones. It took about 1 week before the first in play hit got missed by an umpire for them to start using it for all reports (usually missing the behind the play ones it was brought in to monitor).