Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall - Goneski reported

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He was given 10 weeks and received a 25% discount. IMO it is a pretty good result for all.

He is missing 1/3 of the AFL season through suspension and has 90 carry over into any future indiscretion.

His broken wrist should not have any thing to do with his suspension.
    25% discount for what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    25% discount for what?
    Frequent Fighter Points ?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Frequent Fighter Points ?
    Well we all know he's a bit of an airhead, so you might just be right.

I hope the discount wasn't for pleading guilty, there was no possible way he could have been innocent, the discount with an early plea is a bit of a joke when you have clear vision imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the discount wasn't for pleading guilty.
    unfortunately that is exactly what the discount was for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I appreciate and respect that you disagree. My point is/was that we cannot use historical precedents for the reasons outlined in my previous post. You raised an interesting point with your comparisons of the Hall incident with other acts of waywardness (Charles using a banned substance, kicking umpires etc). I would say yes, Hall's act was as bad if not worse than kicking an umpire (at least physically more dangerous I reckon) however, the Charles one is an interesting one. Both Hall and Charles, through their different actions, have brought the game into disrepute but how to gauge the damage they have caused is difficult to assess and (I believe) difficult to penalize because they are completely different issues. In this sense, I'll reserve the right to comment. Anyway we'll see how Staker goes, If his jaw is broken we'll cry for the season, if it's not we'll say 6-8 weeks. Thanks for replying and by the way I enjoy your posts
    No problems 1eyedog - always great to have good banter and debate. The 7 weeks for mine is about right I think, espcially in this day and age of football.....though in the 1970's it would have been play on and how soft is Staker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    He should be made to serve this 7 week penalty after which ever one of these 2 things comes last.
    Staker recovers from the injury or Hall recovers from his injury.
    I partially agree. I think any weeks Staker misses as a direct result of the king hit should be added to Hall's sentence - ie broken jaw = 11 weeks for Staker, then it should be 11 weeks + 7 weeks for Hall. The fact that Hall is injured is not relevent....unless he broke his wrist in hitting Staker!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    No problems 1eyedog - always great to have good banter and debate. The 7 weeks for mine is about right I think, espcially in this day and age of football.....though in the 1970's it would have been play on and how soft is Staker
    I think hes certainly got off on the lighter side in the modern game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I partially agree. I think any weeks Staker misses as a direct result of the king hit should be added to Hall's sentence - ie broken jaw = 11 weeks for Staker, then it should be 11 weeks + 7 weeks for Hall. The fact that Hall is injured is not relevent....unless he broke his wrist in hitting Staker!
    If that was the rule Hall would have got life in 1997 when he hit Sam McFarlane of North in the reserves.

McFarlane never played again after Hall broke his jaw.

Post Thanks / Like

25% discount for what?
    Being a favoured child?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Things have got a bit more out of control than even Barry did last week end. While I was appalled about his behaviour, I think the wowser element has got itself so agitated that they too have lost the plot.
    This was not a hanging offence as nasty as it was; what we should be talking about is how Barry needs to learn to control his behaviour … and what might be the repercussions for further infractions (maybe somewhat belated I acknowledge given the blind eye that has been turned to several past infractions, Grant etc), but the point needs to be made that he is a valuable player who still has a lot to offer the game, but not if he continues to act in this way.

Roos seems a pretty smart coach in many ways, but is not able to make this distinction and his recent media performances, show a lack of resourcefulness on his part.

Myself I admire Barry’s spirit and determination and hope he overcomes this blot on his career, while at the same time acknowledging that if the league fulfilled its responsibilities properly he might not be in this situation; missing a grand final would have been a salutary lesson. But then they might have compromised their investment in the Swans.

Seen from this perspective Barry is just another victim of the league’s policy of “You do no wrong until the media makes a fuss and then divine wrath will descend upon you.”

Take a week Barry, take a month, but come back with a better perspective about yourself and the game and your role in it because no on else seems able to do it for you.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler