Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches under the most pressure heading into 2024

Dwayne Russell has named the five coaches he has most under pressure heading into the 2024 season.

All five of the coaches Russell has nominated either missed finals entirely or have already been eliminated.

Russell's coaching pressure meter is a top five with number one being the coach under the most heat heading into next season.

1 Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs)

"I think Luke Beveridge is number one," Russell said on SEN Afternoons.

"If the Dogs start the season poorly and they aren't in the top eight halfway through the year, I think it could get a little nasty as well.

"It kind of got a little nasty later this year for the Bulldog fans."

2 Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)

"I think Ken Hinkley is number two.

"He's contracted for two more years, but making the top eight again next year is still a pass mark.

"If they're out of the eight halfway through the season, their fans are going to get a little restless again.

"Even though there's one or two fans that are restless now, I think Ken Hinkley being reassigned, that's the right move to make for David Koch."

3 Matthew Nicks (Adelaide)

"Three is Matthew Nicks.

"He's only contracted for next year. So, if the Crows don't extend him in the next couple of months.

"He'll obviously be under a bit of pressure halfway through next year if they're not in the eight or at least around the eight.

"It depends though if they re-sign him over the summer for three more years, then he's got the long-term deal"

4 Adam Simpson (West Coast)

"I think Adam Simpson's in the top five.

"They can't go any worse than this season. West Coast can't drop below rock bottom.

"But I think the Eagles need to show some improvement at least for him to probably be safe for 2025.

"He'll coach out next year, I think regardless of what happens."

5 Justin Longmuir (Fremantle)

"Justin Longmuir might be in the top five as well.

"They were 14th this year after being in the top eight and contenders last year.

"They dropped and if Freo doesn't improve, then there'll be some heat come his way"
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaches under the most pressure heading into 2024

Fair calls. As an aside. I wonder how long Longmire wants to coach? Is it until he gets dumped, completely runs out of gas or is there a point where he sees to refresh the message to the players. Not saying he has to go or should go, but interesting how long he stays in charge for.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I’d put Nicks in there but I suppose given his contract only runs for 2024 that makes sense.

Hinkley is safe as houses despite another finals embarrassment.

Simon Goodwin not similar to Hinkley? 2021 (although not a real flag won at the G) helps him which Ken doesn’t have.

Bevo deserves to be number one. JL should be #2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Not sure I’d put Nicks in there but I suppose given his contract only runs for 2024 that makes sense.

Hinkley is safe as houses despite another finals embarrassment.

Simon Goodwin not similar to Hinkley? 2021 (although not a real flag won at the G) helps him which Ken doesn’t have.

Bevo deserves to be number one. JL should be #2.
    Caveat.

If Brisbane don't win this weekend, Fagan is under pressure RIGHT NOW.

If Goodwin doesn't win a final, 2024 is his last season.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Caveat.If Brisbane don't win this weekend, Fagan is under pressure RIGHT NOW.
    Yeah this is absolutely a thing. The faithful are at pussy's bow and Fagan's on wafer thin ice.

They should bully Carlton up there but one game in 28 days and gee, the monkey on the back looms large.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    ...one game in 28 days and gee, the monkey on the back looms large.
    It's a massive problem for them and the Pies.

Watch me be proven wrong but I don't like it...Carlton aren't actually that good and can thank Melbourne's incompetence for their prelim appearance but I would still be nervous.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a massive problem for them and the Pies.

Watch me be proven wrong but I don't like it...Carlton aren't actually that good and can thank Melbourne's incompetence for their prelim appearance but I would still be nervous.
    Carlton, really, should've lost both their finals.

I think the Lions are just going to massively out score them. It'll be a shoot out. But yeah, 1 game in that long isn't awesome prep. I still reckon Lions win by 7 goals. If they miss the GF, I'm not sure what reigns they'll pull but they'll never have a better chance. Or... well... they actually had a better chance in 2020 and couldn't get there so...

Also, GWS are a huge chance tonight IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Carlton, really, should've lost both their finals.

I think the Lions are just going to massively out score them. It'll be a shoot out. But yeah, 1 game in that long isn't awesome prep. I still reckon Lions win by 7 goals. If they miss the GF, I'm not sure what reigns they'll pull but they'll never have a better chance. Or... well... they actually had a better chance in 2020 and couldn't get there so...

Also, GWS are a huge chance tonight IMO.
    Other than the Eagles, and Hawks games, plus North (so bottom 3), Carlton have failed to kick 100 points. This is a big issue for them. I can see Brisbane having a big win.
    Agree GWS are a chance tonight.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than the Eagles, and Hawks games, plus North (so bottom 3), Carlton have failed to kick 100 points. This is a big issue for them. I can see Brisbane having a big win.
    Agree GWS are a chance tonight.
    Given this is the prevailing logic and everyone is tipping Brisbane and the Pies/Giants is about a 70-30 split, mark down:

Pies for tonight.
    Blues for tomorrow.

You know if tomorrow is close, there will be a few goal reviews that go Carlton's way to deliver the AFL's desired outcomes of:

1/. Carlton vs Collingwood GF
    2/. Collingwood premiership

11. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given this is the prevailing logic and everyone is tipping Brisbane and the Pies/Giants is about a 70-30 split, mark down:

Pies for tonight.
    Blues for tomorrow.

You know if tomorrow is close, there will be a few goal reviews that go Carlton's way to deliver the AFL's desired outcomes of:

1/. Carlton vs Collingwood GF
    2/. Collingwood premiership
    Gee that’s very cynical for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm flying down from Brisbane for the GF. Really hoping for Lions to be in it, and if they're against GWS getting a ticket should be very doable!