Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardwick quits

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hardwick quits

Imagine the black and white life Kane Corns lives. I can't figure out whether it makes it easier or tougher for him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cornes reporting 5 year deal

Cornes did not report it. He reported on someone elses story.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Imagine the black and white life Kane Corns lives. I can't figure out whether it makes it easier or tougher for him.
    You could ask a few posters on woof how it works out for them.

5. Likes MrMahatma, hujsh, chef, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he and the Tigers sat down and said “This isn’t working and speculation will just ramp up if we have some more losses. Shall we call it?”

Tigers would only be filthy if him leaving was bad for them. I don’t think it has been or will have been. Some coaches hang on too long in the middle of the road. I think it was a brave call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Maybe he and the Tigers sat down and said “This isn’t working and speculation will just ramp up if we have some more losses. Shall we call it?”

Tigers would only be filthy if him leaving was bad for them. I don’t think it has been or will have been. Some coaches hang on too long in the middle of the road. I think it was a brave call.
    Neil Balme (who is at the tigers) certainly has this view point.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Richmond is more a well run club than Hardwick is a great coach. Suspect this won't deliver the success GC want but will be called justified when someone else eventually does something with their list ala Roos

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think Richmond is more a well run club than Hardwick is a great coach. Suspect this won't deliver the success GC want but will be called justified when someone else eventually does something with their list ala Roos
    Sweet deal, why knock it back? 5 years, huge money, sunshine state, talented kids and ESPN had their three academy kids as top 10 picks.

I mean he walks in the door, refreshed, tanned, cashed up and they give him three top 10 kids to add to the stockpile. Does it start any better than that. Imagine if he takes up Dusty or someone of note too, that could be fun.

Good luck to him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast expected to offer Damien Hardwick five-year deal

Gold Coast are a step closer to confirming Damien Hardwick as their next coach, with club chief executive Mark Evans flying to Italy to talk to Hardwick on his European vacation.

A senior club source, who was not authorised to speak publicly, has confirmed to The Scoop that the club reached out to Hardwick via phone last week to ask whether the three-time premiership coach at Richmond was interested in continuing his senior coaching career at the Suns.

After that conversation, the club devised a clandestine plan to send a senior representative to Europe to meet Hardwick face to face.

Evans flew into Milan with plans to travel to the Cinque Terre, on the Italian Riviera, to catch up with the former Tiger coach, who is holidaying there with his partner.

A senior industry source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Hardwick was expected to be offered a five-year contract.

Gold Coast?s focus is on agreeing to terms with Hardwick before the end of the season. The Age has not been able to identify any other candidates in the process.

The club and Hardwick?s management were contacted by The Age and chose not to comment. It?s been a whirlwind year for Hardwick, who will celebrate his 51st birthday in a little over two weeks.

We will bring you news on the next step.

In late May, Hardwick shocked the football world by announcing that he would be leaving Richmond, effective immediately, despite having a season and a half left on his contract.

In a media conference at Punt Road, Hardwick cited burnout and said he had nothing left to give.

Richmond three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick has resigned, effective immediately.

?I had a fair indication of the start of the year that I would like this to be my last year and then when the season did not turn out as I would have liked it, I started to question whether I was the right man for this job,? Hardwick said on May 22.

?I asked myself the question more and more, and if you keep asking yourself the question, you know the answer. If I could not give 100 per cent, there was no way I was going to coach.?

Since then, Hardwick has been doing his best to switch off from football. He travelled to Colorado in the United States, where he tweeted photos of himself watching his beloved Tigers in sports bars, before returning to Melbourne to watch his triple premiership captain Trent Cotchin play in his 300th game.

Hardwick appeared on the television broadcast several times, enjoying a beer alongside his partner and sitting with the likes of Richmond CEO Brendon Gale and former Tiger captain Wayne Campbell, who is head of football at the Suns.

There was another trip planned on the calendar, this time to Europe. But in June, before getting on the plane, Hardwick left us with an enthralling interview with former footballer turned podcaster and content creator Dylan Buckley.

?I?d be lying if I said I couldn?t see myself doing it,? Hardwick said, when asked if he could see himself coaching again.

?I love it, I miss it. I?ve been out for two weeks and I wanted to miss it, if that makes sense?

?I need to decompress for a while, I need to go away, I need to reflect. And figure out things that make me good and things that I can sit there and put me in a dark place, as well.?

Right or wrong, from that point, the microscope on Stuart Dew?s tenure at the Suns intensified.

Gold Coast, who made it clear publicly at the start of the year that it wanted and needed to improve, was threatening to miss out on finals for yet another season.

A report by senior Age journalist Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified that Dew wouldn?t be coach next year was rejected by the club publicly, but it proved accurate barely a week later when Dew was sacked after a 33-point loss to Port Adelaide.

Dew has not spoken publicly since, but was sighted in an Australian cricket training kit in England, watching on from inside the inner sanctum.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

When did Gold Coast become a rival of Richmond?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sweet deal, why knock it back? 5 years, huge money, sunshine state, talented kids and ESPN had their three academy kids as top 10 picks.

I mean he walks in the door, refreshed, tanned, cashed up and they give him three top 10 kids to add to the stockpile. Does it start any better than that. Imagine if he takes up Dusty or someone of note too, that could be fun.

Good luck to him.
    I don't doubt it's a good move for him.

Post Thanks / Like

A few coaches over the years are breaking their contracts and then get back into coaching a few weeks later.
    I guess some players retire and then play the following year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You could ask a few posters on woof how it works out for them.
    Stop attacking me.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Stop attacking me.
    mate the only thing you are black and white about is where are your macarooons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    mate the only thing you are black and white about is where are your macarooons.
    Ha ha.

And I hate tories. Let's not forget that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda surprise Hardwick saying he was burnt out and he wants to get back into the AFL coaching gig.
    Going to a club with ordinary management , just look at his potential boss: Evens..
    Sacked Dew, who was progressing the club

I will be surprised he will last 5 years.