Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2023 vs Gold Coast

This is the Round 11, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Gold Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2023 vs Gold Coast

B

Jones, L
    Marra

A

Naughton
    Naughton
    Naughton
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Liam Jones, superb intercepting game.
    Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - our only forward.
    Caleb Daniel , next best of a bad lot.

Anchors
    Aaron Naughton - 1 goal 2 and one out of bounds and we only lost by 7 points, sick of the lottery of him kicking for goal, move him to the backline.
    Gardner, O'Brien, Duryea.
    English - worked over and well beaten by Witts.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    Liam Jones: it would be a bigger gap if he was not so awesome in intercepting and leaving his man. 10 Marks, 14 kicks.
    JUH : really liked how he lead hard tonight
    Williams: he kicked some crucial goals

Anchors:
    Naughton: his a one dimensional fwd
    Lobb: his last quarter effort against swallow was aweful to watch
    English: can you please be brave and put on a ruckman effort against decent competition? I knew there were danger signs with Pinott beat him at Carlton .

our 22-23 players on our list selected each week are ineffective: McNeil, Hannan. etc...

6. Likes EasternWest, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Bankers:
    Liam Jones: it would be a bigger gap if he was not so awesome in intercepting and leaving his man.
    JUH : really liked how he lead hard tonight
    Williams: he kicked some crucial goals

Anchors:
    Naughton: his a one dimensional fwd
    Lobb: his last quarter effort against swallow was aweful to watch
    English: can you please be brave and put on a ruckman effort against decent competition? I knew there were danger signs with Pinott beat him at Carlton .

our 22-23 players on our list selected each week are ineffective: McNeil, Hannan. etc...
    Putrid rotating door: McNeil, Hannan, McComb, and a bit more respectfully West, Garcia, McLean. Crozier & JOD haven’t hit the highlight reel either. VDM would be on the list but for injury too.

Honestly, Clarke can’t play worse than these guys rotating poorly through the forward line. At least he has upside.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Liam Jones, fantastic performance, so strong in one on one's, but is extremely ready at all times to have an attacking intent.
    Caleb Daniel - really putting in some good performances in the midfield rotation the last few weeks

Anchors

1. goalkicking again

2. OBrien- I think I'm correct that he was notionally on Lukosius when he went off the chain in the 2nd quarter. And his decision to go long down the middle late in the game was crucial for all the wrong reasons.
    3. Naughton. Wow, I love Naughton, but he stank it up tonight. That's probably something we'll not see from him for another 100 games or so....I hope

10. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:

- LJ. Fantastic effort. We'd have lost by 6 goals without him.
    - CD. Tried hard and used it well.

A:

- Bont. I don't need stats. I need influence. Continually over running the ball, missed targets, and most of all was totally unaccountable on Rowell all night. Really poor.

- Naughton. Outmarked, can't kick, runs into trouble, burns teammates. When Darcy is ready to go, I'm happy to move him back.

- English and Libba. Two more of our leaders to add to the list. Tim is such a liability in the ruck and has been pushed around by the likes of Pittonet and Witts. It's genuinely frustrating to watch.
    W00F!

12. Likes 1eyedog, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A:

- English and Libba. Two more of our leaders to add to the list. Tim is such a liability in the ruck and has been pushed around by the likes of Pittonet and Witts. It's genuinely frustrating to watch.
    What did Libba do wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    What did Libba do wrong?
    Libba was alright and hasn't Tim had one of his best seasons. Writ large he as been a huge positive.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Libba was alright and hasn't Tim had one of his best seasons. Writ large he as been a huge positive.
    Tim was outWitted tonight!

pun intended.

16. Likes EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Tim was outWitted tonight!

pun intended.
    Not his best night. Was really good early in the season.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Liam Jones. Our backline would be stuffed without him

2. Caleb Daniel. Our only mid who looked like he was thinking his way through

3. Marra. Kept on hitting up leads all night and marking the high ball when no one else could

Anchors

1. Obrien. Total liability. We would of won if he didn't play

2. Kicking the ball long and high to our forwards all night when it wasn't working. Change it up a bit and be less predictable. They mopped up every time.

3. English. Lowered his colours tonight
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    What did Libba do wrong?
    A lot! That was his worse game for the year. Rowell destroyed him.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt Libba was told to put a hard tag on Rowell. We just don't do that. A defensive approach probably because that plays to Libba strengths but expecting a 31 year old Libba off two ACLs to be able to go with one of the most explosive mids in the AFL is akin to a Polish cavalry charge against a Panzer Division.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Anchor

Weightmans dive in the forward 50 real late.

He pushes it a bit usually but I am prepared to forgive him for the soccer style moves where he forces the foul or makes sure the contact is seen, but his dive to win that late free was pretty egregious. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a better camera angle to make a true assessment but the behind the goals footage makes it look pretty bad from Cody.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

22. Likes Bullies liked this post