Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Counter Point: We played well vs Gold Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I still hold you solely responsible for the loss Mike ... you cursed the team with your "We wouldn't be stupid enough thread". Stop putting the Moz on us before the game
    With that logic I assume you gave mjp credit for us winning the Carlton game?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    With that logic I assume you gave mjp credit for us winning the Carlton game?
    100%
    WOOF Member 422

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I still think we played dumb football. We just tried to connect way too much in adverse conditions through over use when we didn't need to. There were so many dumb last in the chain handballs, especially deep in our F50 that were not to our advantage and were quickly turned over. Did we think we were at Marvel?

Gold Coast often treated the game like a wet weather game and moved the ball forward often via dump kicks into space. It was only a matter of time before they won a few one on one contests in their forward half of the ground. Without Jones we lose by 4-5 goals and that's a real worry. No Miller either. I think Gardner showed there is nothing behind Jones if he goes down.

Reckon Bevo was done up stairs it was a great scalp for the Suns and injects a bit of life in their season.

I'm generally ok with the loss and looking forward to seeing how we go this week off the back of a pretty gruelling interstate trip.
    You can only be ok with a loss if it revealed the mechanism behind it and there is a willingness to fix the problem.

At the moment the response is? it is OK, it was wet, slippery, a good team, Witts fault. All will be fine in future?.

No it won?t.

We have had some good luck recently and that has blinded us to the need for accurate reviews that give a better future. When we fell over the line against GWS did anyone suggest that we were lucky. Toby Greene didn?t play- what is he worth? Success is blinding, Cannot see the cracks.

It is professional football. Players are paid big bucks to deliver.

An interesting exercise was to look at the performance of the forwards in the games leading up to Darwin. Delete the best goal kicking result for each forward. In all the other combined games the forwards have delivered nothing. One good outcome hides mediocrity. Naughton is the only one who is giving a good consistent return.

So what should we have expected on Saturday? Exactly what was supplied, enough for a loss. Only surprise was JUH.

We were a massive failure. 4 valuable points thrown away. Repercussions to be expected down the track.

Analyse what went wrong and then fix it. At the moment it is simply propaganda to prevent someone getting their arse kicked.

5. Likes westbulldog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm saying it was a game plan issue and we were beaten at the selection table (Gardner, Jones, TOB and JOD one too heavy) and coaches box but I ain't going back over that old chestnut.

Also, refer to signature below.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 30-05-2023 at 07:43 PM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes The Underdog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I guess I'm saying it was a game plan issue and we were beaten at the selection table (Gardner, Jones, TOB and JOD one too heavy) and coaches box but I ain't going back over that old chestnut.

Also, refer to signature below.
    not sure why we needed JOD, but then again it was a 7 point game that was a winnable lost opportunity
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his attack on the ball but have seen enough to know he needs to spend the remainder of the season in the VFL.

I wasn't saying playing a West type player instead of him against GC and tagging Rowell would have won us the game but it would have won us the game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll counter this by saying that I didn't see much of the 1/2 half as I was out for dinner and only switched on when Lukosius kicked his ''volley'' goal but the things I found most alarming when watching were:

- Our kick to handball ratio compared to GC's. (1.4 to 2.8)... we were trying to play a dry weather game around the contest which didn't work. Bailey Smith and Arthur Jones having 11 kicks & 25 handballs combines isn't what we need from these 2.
    - The space given to Rowell at clearances
    - The space given to GC's forwards.
    - The lack of ground ball game in defence... we had 4 talls on the ground at the same time which was ludicrous given the conditions.

It was a game we really should've won and it places a bit more importance on our next 2 than perhaps needed.