Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do something with Naughton.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    While we get smashed in defence, he spoils his team mates and clogs the forward 50. That was the most dangerous the forward 50 looked tonight. Not something to be dismissed on Naughty alleging kicking 3 a game every game for the rest of the year.
    I think he had 2 kicks in defence and one spoil. I don't have the actual stats, just memory.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    26 goals and heading for another 50. He stays Forward
    Not arguing that he's a very good individual forward. But what I saw today made me think he makes our other good forwards worse by running to the same spots and competing for the same marks. He is not a smart forward and kicks his goals through pure talent - not a bad thing in itself, but is it the best thing for the club?

In the first half, with Naughton forward, we had 36 inside 50s for 5.8.
    In the second half, with Naughton back, we had 36 inside 50s for 10.7.

The injuries to our KPD have given us an opportunity to experiment. I don't think he is THAT good that it's not worth trying for a few weeks.

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he had 2 kicks in defence and one spoil. I don't have the actual stats, just memory.
    While the forwardline looked the most dangerous all year. Surely it’s about what’s best for the overall team and the result?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Not arguing that he's a very good individual forward. But what I saw today made me think he makes our other good forwards worse by running to the same spots and competing for the same marks. He is not a smart forward and kicks his goals through pure talent - not a bad thing in itself, but is it the best thing for the club?

The injuries to our KPD have given us an opportunity to experiment. I don't think he is THAT good that it's not worth trying for a few weeks.
    and conceded 8 goals

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

and conceded 8 goals
    Which proves what? None were on Naughton stuff ups. The forwardline functioned and we outscored them. Which is the point of the game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

26 goals and heading for another 50. He stays Forward
    Yes personally I thought he looked a little lost down back. Needs a pre season if it is for good not now. Prefer him forward.

9. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which proves what? None were on Naughton stuff ups. The forwardline functioned and we outscored them. Which is the point of the game.
    Like the stuff up when he kicked it straight to North? Then ran back and Zurhar out marked him. He hasn't trained as a backman this season, he did the coach a favour to go back.

I just don't think a FF like him should be taken out of the forward line.

Others have their opinion and I have mine.

Post Thanks / Like

While the forwardline looked the most dangerous all year. Surely it’s about what’s best for the overall team and the result?
    Let's remember who we were playing for a sec.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the stuff up when he kicked it straight to North? Then ran back and Zurhar out marked him. He hasn't trained as a backman this season, he did the coach a favour to go back.

I just don't think a FF like him should be taken out of the forward line.

Others have their opinion and I have mine.
    Fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Let's remember who we were playing for a sec.
    Look at the half stats. The same team. Two very different halves of forward footy.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.
    I should add in the last 3 years we have won 38 games and lost 24 with Naughton playing forward and he has kicked 47, 50 and 26

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

This is a compelling statistic caused by the serious injury to Liam Jones to finally move Naughton to defence.
    Players like Ugle Hagen, Weightman who was outstanding and Lobb appeared to move with far more freedom, not forgetting the brilliance of Bont who was able to spend time forward with 3 goals. Will Bevo be finally convinced that this is worth continuing with on a more permanent basis.

17. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I should add in the last 3 years we have won 38 games and lost 24 with Naughton playing forward and he has kicked 47, 50 and 26
    Chris Grant kicked 500 goals before becoming a great CHB. It can be done.

19. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about we play him forward and back.

21. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the keep Naughton forward camp but understand if we had two of him we would have one at each end.
    I didn't see a lot in what he did tonight to change my thoughts of moving him too the back line.

If the forward line functioned better without him tonight, and I'm not saying it did, then we need to change our forward line structure. Lets just have Naughton and Marra up forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO, lemmon, Smads57 liked this post