Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alright lads, how bad was it?

By a country mile this is not the worst I?ve seen us play. God I?ve sat through some years of horrid football and serial disappointment.

This period though feels like we?re wasting a golden opportunity. Like we have all the tools but can?t build up - which is worse than us just being bad.

2. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something really hurt about this one. It felt like a train wreck slowly unfolding as we butchered the ball, played dumb footy and missed gettable shots. There was the inevitable red time goal to them at 3/4 time. At no point in the last quarter did we look like we had any idea how to win. That’s what hurt most of all.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes SonofScray, macca, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was bad enough that I am getting my axe out again.

Piss weak tackling, awful goal kicking and had rings run around us by a team that has a coach who has our coach’s number.

Then an hour to get out of the car park at Docklands, and a further hour to get home to Sunshine. FFS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    By a country mile this is not the worst I?ve seen us play. God I?ve sat through some years of horrid football and serial disappointment.

This period though feels like we?re wasting a golden opportunity. Like we have all the tools but can?t build up - which is worse than us just being bad.
    I think we are playing very well in patches and very poorly in others. Our goal kicking accuracy has hurt us in the last 3 weeks as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I could swallow last night a little more easily if we'd banked four points last week and that's where I think the discourse about that being an 'okay' loss is frustrating. Again we have statistical dominance, again we dominate field position but again our forward 50 connection and ability to make that dominance count on the scoreboard is missing. That's absolutely a pattern of Bevo's time and to write it off because the other parts of our game are in okay shape is ludicrous.

Either the personnel in the forward 50 need to change, or the way we move the footy into the forward line needs to because at the moment we work ridiculously hard for each scoring shot, most of the time they're low value or scrappy and we're odds-on to either miss or cough it up and have it slung down the other end to a dangerously open defensive 50.

I think this is a top 4 list and we're again not going to be there because of games we've dominated everywhere but the scoreboard.

We have Jones, English and Bont who are all in the AA team right now, one of the most stacked midfields in the comp, excellent running defenders in JJ, Richards and Dale, and a guy in the forward line that is being touted as a million dollar player. Finishing 6th and scrapping through to the second week of the finals is simply not good enough.

8. Likes Scorlibo, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are giving ourselves a look in most games but there should be no way league footballers should miss goals with a 30 metre arc.
    Bontempelli, English, McNeil, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Williams all left goals out there they should have nailed at that was the game.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

We play some scintillating football at times but we are beaten by an AFL version of own goals with our poor goal kicking.
    It's not the end of the world stuff but its going to be hard to get top 4 from here.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not the last two losses in and of themselves. Despite dominating scoring shots. It’s the opportunity blown. That’s the gut punch.

Use our superior numbers of I50 and shots on goal, and take workman like wins against a lowly GCS and depleted Geelong off three losses. Cement top four and dream big.

Now we spend the year rooting for other teams to lose and maybe we will make up the numbers again. It’s not the losses per se. But it’s an entirely avoidable horror result. But that’s maybe just who we are under Bevo. Never a top 4 side, scrapers into the 8 and hopers for the best. For whatever reason, Bevo can’t mould this list into finishing top four in his tenure. Not sure why, but he can’t.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Dogs 24/7, lemmon, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Something really hurt about this one. It felt like a train wreck slowly unfolding as we butchered the ball, played dumb footy and missed gettable shots. There was the inevitable red time goal to them at 3/4 time. At no point in the last quarter did we look like we had any idea how to win. That’s what hurt most of all.
    Agree with this. In the last quarter no one actually wanted the ball. There was no lead up so we had to kick to contests. The only time we kicked to our man was when we kicked backwards even then there was no one running on the other side to give it off again. Whether they were fatigued from Darwin game i don't know.

Our skill level is deplorable. We have 2 guys down back Gardner and O'Brien who continuously butcher the ball yet persist on kicking across goal. Baker is another with skills not at AFL Level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It’s not the last two losses in and of themselves. Despite dominating scoring shots. It’s the opportunity blown. That’s the gut punch.

Use our superior numbers of I50 and shots on goal, and take workman like wins against a lowly GCS and depleted Geelong off three losses. Cement top four and dream big.

Now we spend the year rooting for other teams to lose and maybe we will make up the numbers again. It’s not the losses per se. But it’s an entirely avoidable horror result. But that’s maybe just who we are under Bevo. Never a top 4 side, scrapers into the 8 and hopers for the best. For whatever reason, Bevo can’t mould this list into finishing top four in his tenure. Not sure why, but he can’t.
    Yes. We lack that ruthless edge or class to finish teams off. When the Cats had the dominance we showed in patches last night when they played us last year, what did they do? Piled on 6-7 goals in quick succession and killed the game off.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo says they went up a notch and we couldn’t go with them.

WTF not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bevo says they went up a notch and we couldn?t go with them.

WTF not?
    Playing in Darwin the week before - we ran out of steam. I remember Bob Murphy saying he lost eight kilos playing there and the following game we were cooked at half time (against St Kilda we were ten goals up at half time, Clay Smith did his knee and we were running up and down on the spot by the last quarter for an embarrassing loss)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Playing in Darwin the week before - we ran out of steam. I remember Bob Murphy saying he lost eight kilos playing there and the following game we were cooked at half time (against St Kilda we were ten goals up at half time, Clay Smith did his knee and we were running up and down on the spot by the last quarter for an embarrassing loss)
    Amazingly the Suns backed up with a decent victory.

19. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Their climate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Amazingly the Suns backed up with a decent victory.
    Suns train in those type of conditions most of the year.
    Last edited by Bullies; 04-06-2023 at 09:20 PM.

22. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post