Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  198
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V North Melbourne R14 2023 Sun 18/6, 4:40PM - Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given in his first 40 games Cody had kicked 5 goals twice (one of those in a half before he disclocated his elbow) it isn't a stretch to suggest that Cody will have similar games in the future.
    I was listening to the ABC when I was at the game and from memory they said Cody had kicked at least 4 goals 5 times in his career and then 5 goals once. Now he has a 6 goal achievement. For a 50 games player that's a creditable effort but while the big marks are exciting to watch I do hope he can become a bit better at crumbing some goals given the tall forwards we have.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was listening to the ABC when I was at the game and from memory they said Cody had kicked at least 4 goals 5 times in his career and then 5 goals once. Now he has a 6 goal achievement. For a 50 games player that's a creditable effort but while the big marks are exciting to watch I do hope he can become a bit better at crumbing some goals given the tall forwards we have.
    He has kicked 5 twice, against North & GWS last year.. he had the 5 against GWS before he had the elbow injury, came back on but don't think he touched it in the 2nd half.

He has kicked 4 goals on 3 occasions.

Don't trust the ABC.. or maybe your memory!

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    In ANY forward line.
    Which players get 30+ 3 goals and 10 tackles each week? Kelly hasn't kicked more than 2 goals in any game this year.

I can't find a heap of players who have kicked 3 and had 30+ and 10 tackles. Taranto and Bont are the only ones. Daicos has a 3 goal 30 possession game this year but only registered 1 tackle and Cripps has a 4 tackle, 27 possession, 3 goal game. Brayshaw would be the closest with 35 posessions, 2 goals and 8 tackles. Petraca has a 3 goal 30 possession game aginst North but only 3 tackles. Butters has a massive 40 possession 2 goal game as well and 6 tackles.

Cameron, Weightman and Papley have kicked 6 this season and Higgins and Langford have kicked 5 something as well. There's been another 5 goal game this season from a small forward but I can't remember (Rankine?).

So three small forwards with 6 goals and two midfielders with 30+ posessions, 3 goals and 10 tackles. I'm sure the other players (Brayshaw / Cripps / Trac) were elite in other areas but I'm just judging them against Bont's numbers. Bont probably did as well i.e. contest possessions / clearances etc.

If we're going to compare midfielders who have 30 possessions / 3 goals and 10 tackles with mids with lesser numbers (Kelly with 2 goals and 2 tackles and all other mids I looked at), we may as well include all the small forwards who have kicked 5 or even 4 goals as well (Higgins 5, Langford 5). .

I'm not running Cody down either it was a massive effort but 6 goal games from small / medium forwards appear to occur as regulalry as 30 possession, 3 goal, 10 tackle games.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were both amazeballs.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's give Bont and Cody 2.5 votes each and call it a day.

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Which players get 30+ 3 goals and 10 tackles each week? Kelly hasn't kicked more than 2 goals in any game this year.
    Ummm. Kelly kicked 3 last week against Freo...so I'm not sure where you got that info.

I can't find a heap of players who have kicked 3 and had 30+ and 10 tackles. Taranto and Bont are the only ones. Daicos has a 3 goal 30 possession game this year but only registered 1 tackle and Cripps has a 4 tackle, 27 possession, 3 goal game. Brayshaw would be the closest with 35 posessions, 2 goals and 8 tackles. Petraca has a 3 goal 30 possession game aginst North but only 3 tackles. Butters has a massive 40 possession 2 goal game as well and 6 tackles.
    And this is what I'm saying. We are treating Bont's game as 'better' than the average bear by stacking stats together. We are giving Cody ONE thing to hang his hat on - goals. But Bont get's touches and goals and tackles...It just makes it a little more 'unique' but you could equally say "what other small forward had 3x marks inside 50m, 350m gained and 6-goals"...to me adding the tackles etc helps paint a picture but is what Kelly did (38 + 3 goals with 2x tackles) really much different to what Bont did. I mean Kelly had 500+ m gained and Bont just 400...does that make up for tackles?

Cameron, Weightman and Papley have kicked 6 this season and Higgins and Langford have kicked 5 something as well. There's been another 5 goal game this season from a small forward but I can't remember (Rankine?).

So three small forwards with 6 goals and two midfielders with 30+ posessions, 3 goals and 10 tackles. I'm sure the other players (Brayshaw / Cripps / Trac) were elite in other areas but I'm just judging them against Bont's numbers. Bont probably did as well i.e. contest possessions / clearances etc.
    I'm actually happy with the Papley comparison and say 'fair enough, good example' but Langford kicked his as a FF and Cameron does not occupy the same spot as Weightman.

If we're going to compare midfielders who have 30 possessions / 3 goals and 10 tackles with mids with lesser numbers (Kelly with 2 goals and 2 tackles and all other mids I looked at), we may as well include all the small forwards who have kicked 5 or even 4 goals as well (Higgins 5, Langford 5). .

I'm not running Cody down either it was a massive effort but 6 goal games from small / medium forwards appear to occur as regulalry as 30 possession, 3 goal, 10 tackle games.
    Again - it's 'cos we're stacking the stats to make it more unique. You could add to Bont's numbers that he had 8 clearances and might get it to the point where he's the first player EVER to do it...but as you noted earlier in your comments about Brayshaw and Cripps (you got fined $2 for using the term 'TRAC') they were probably 'elite' in other areas...

And if you think that there's not much difference between 4 goals, 5-goals and 6-goals...well...there is A LOT of difference. A LOT. That's why people don't often kick 6 and in 2023 they basically NEVER do it.

Bont was great. I'm not saying he wasn't.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He has kicked 5 twice, against North & GWS last year.. he had the 5 against GWS before he had the elbow injury, came back on but don't think he touched it in the 2nd half.

He has kicked 4 goals on 3 occasions.

Don't trust the ABC.. or maybe your memory!
    I posted a table earlier in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    An interesting chart - at 50 games

PLAYER GOALS 4+ GOAL GAMES 3+ GOAL GAMES
    STEPHEN MILNE (STK) 100 9 16
    LUKE BREUST (HAW) 90 4 13
    CODY WEIGHTMAN (WB) 84 6 11
    JEFF FARMER (MEL) 81 5 13
    STEVE JOHNSON (GEE) 75 5 8
    TOM PAPLEY (SYD) 67 1 7
    JAMIE ELLIOTT (COLL) 67 4 11
    IZAK RANKINE (GC/ADE) 61 3 8
    CHARLIE CAMERON (ADE) 60 2 4
    CYRIL RIOLI (HAW) 52 2 5
    EDDIE BETTS (CARL) 51 0 9
    BAYLEY FRITSCH (MEL) 43 2 5
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ummm. Kelly kicked 3 last week against Freo...so I'm not sure where you got that info.

And this is what I'm saying. We are treating Bont's game as 'better' than the average bear by stacking stats together. We are giving Cody ONE thing to hang his hat on - goals. But Bont get's touches and goals and tackles...It just makes it a little more 'unique' but you could equally say "what other small forward had 3x marks inside 50m, 350m gained and 6-goals"...to me adding the tackles etc helps paint a picture but is what Kelly did (38 + 3 goals with 2x tackles) really much different to what Bont did. I mean Kelly had 500+ m gained and Bont just 400...does that make up for tackles?

I'm actually happy with the Papley comparison and say 'fair enough, good example' but Langford kicked his as a FF and Cameron does not occupy the same spot as Weightman.

Again - it's 'cos we're stacking the stats to make it more unique. You could add to Bont's numbers that he had 8 clearances and might get it to the point where he's the first player EVER to do it...but as you noted earlier in your comments about Brayshaw and Cripps (you got fined $2 for using the term 'TRAC') they were probably 'elite' in other areas...

And if you think that there's not much difference between 4 goals, 5-goals and 6-goals...well...there is A LOT of difference. A LOT. That's why people don't often kick 6 and in 2023 they basically NEVER do it.

Bont was great. I'm not saying he wasn't.
    Sorry thought you meant Tim Kelly. Wrong Kelly. Still only had 2 tackles but that's the type of player he is.

There's a big difference between 5 and 6 goals I agree but it does really depend on how you get them to a degree and Cody was handed at least two of them. Still, you can only do what you can do and 6 goals is 6 goals.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

In the two prior games where Weightman had kicked 5 goals. He didn't get a Brownlow vote. (In one of those Bont, got a vote for an 18 possession three goal game).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I posted a table earlier in the thread
    And?

The table is nice, but holds no value to the discussion being held so not sure why I need to be directed towards it.