Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  94
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne will be invincible in 2023, or maybe not

With the recruitment of Grundy, Hunter and their biggest signing Shache, there were some high hopes for Melbourne amongst their fans in 2023.

But this season hasn't quite turned out that way.

I know they have been missing Oliver but otherwise they are pretty complete, but now they're going to miss their best forward Bayley Fritsch for most of the season. https://www.afl.com.au/news/963114/s...ews-for-clarry

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Melbourne has been just a bit off of this season and far from invincible?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne will be invincible in 2023, or maybe not

Oops, posted this in the wrong place.

Can the modes please move this to the AFL Board?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Not their usual selves but still above us on the ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bite, DR. Cordy and Schache in the 2s ? What are Melbourne thinking ? Perhaps they spot that Baker's demoted. No wonder they are just clinging on by their toenails.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne are basically 2/3rds of an invincible premiership team. Their work in D50 and midfield is first rate but everything falls apart in their F50 - connection into F50, retention of the ball inside F50 and conversion of opportunities once inside F50 are all worst in the competition or close to it. It will cost them any chance for a premiership push this season if they don't find a solution.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Melbourne are basically 2/3rds of an invincible premiership team. Their work in D50 and midfield is first rate but everything falls apart in their F50 - connection into F50, retention of the ball inside F50 and conversion of opportunities once inside F50 are all worst in the competition or close to it. It will cost them any chance for a premiership push this season if they don't find a solution.
    It really sucked that we got them when it was all clicking in 2021.

Anyway, I can't figure them out at the moment. Everything you say is right, but with a bit more discipline or better coaching, or more commitment do they pull it together? I've seen worse forward combinations do more than they do.

They have two very good/ elite medium/ small forwards in Butthead and Pickett, is it coaching that holds them back or talent?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That's it. Always been their weakness. What they'd give for Marra And Darcy.
    Fritsch out will really hurt they need to cobble together a functioning forward line or this season will be another missed opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

They're missing Clarry and now Fritsch but are capable of some great footy. Too early to write them off.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a significant and unreasonable dislike of Goodwin based on two unrelated data points, both of which are more hearsay than evidence. First, apparently he told a Melbourne fan in a coffee queue in early 2021 that they'd win it that year. Second, he apparently gambles with his players, which strikes me as poor leadership on a number of levels. He reads to me as an arrogant and dislikeable man, and his players seem to have adopted his arrogance (see Steven May's comments to Melksham before the punchup). I also really don't like Petracca, also because of his arrogance. Before he'd achieved anything at all he gave an interview talking about how he thought he would be the best in the league one day. I suspect people (including Petracca himself) over-rate Petracca and severely under-rate Clarry, and I think it's because Petracca is roughly good-looking and Clarry looks like a potato.

Anyway, I am quite enjoying their slide.

I will say that on paper they look awfully similar to us in terms of the sheer number of forward 50 entries required to score, and our defence isn't as good. But I am extremely hopeful our forward stocks click as theirs slide, and we move above them on the ladder.

10. Likes EasternWest, macca, Bulldog Joe, josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have lost 4 of the last 6 matches.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing i like about this is their premiership window is slipping

To have a chance of getting to GF, a lot of moving partd need tobbe any teams favour and a little luck .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Anyway, I am quite enjoying their slide.
    I'm 100% with you on so many levels but they're still ahead of us.

I'm on the "lose, Melbourne, lose" band-wagon and I 100% get bad kicking is bad footy BUT they have been a touch unlucky...and without a 70m goal from Josh Kelly last week was a win...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oliver is their best player, and he'll get back for finals. No way I'd write them off of he's any chance of playing finals, which it looks like he is
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Oliver is their best player, and he'll get back for finals. No way I'd write them off of he's any chance of playing finals, which it looks like he is
    Came off the training track today again he is in trouble with his hammy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t feel sorry for them. Freo imploding has them right now getting for Jackson (& picks 44 & 67):

Pick 13 last year, Picks 5 & 23 this year.

Outrageous return for Melbourne. Outrageous. **** Melbourne.

Edit: They could even go 5, 15-18 & 23 for Pick 1… (maybe add Melbourne’s F1 for WCE F2)… turn a late first, picks 44 & 67, & Jackson into Pick 1 & Pick 13.

Barass & 37, 55 - to us for Pick 12 & Pick 34. Then WCE hit the draft with current Picks 5, 12, 15, 19 (1st on night 2), 23, 34, 35 & 53 / they need this and not Naughton.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-07-2023 at 08:18 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023