Thanks Thanks:  53
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

East West Club Event

All,

Tickets are still available for what is a fabulous night

EAST WEST BULLDOGS 40TH ANNIVERSARY DINNER UPDATE-
    We are soo excited to announce that along with our previously advised awesome special guests, our coach extraordinaire the one and only Luke Beveridge will be attending our special night.
    If that wasn't enough, our raffle first prize is.....the biggest prize we have ever been able to offer in our 40 year history..... is.....wait for it..... x2 tickets to the 2023 Charles Sutton Medal!!!! These tickets are worth in excess of $500.00.
    Make sure you book your tickets now!!!!
    Please share to any Bulldogs supporter that you know.
    Event Details- Tuesday July 18th 2023
    6.30 pm for a 7pm start
    Mulgrave Country Club
    $80 per head for EastWest Members
    $85 per head for non-members
    We hope to see you on the night.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: East West Club Event Tuesday 18th of July

That's actually pretty good value and fair pricing.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That's actually pretty good value and fair pricing.
    It's sensational. From memory it's a 3 course meal.
    And you have Bevo there.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice that's the day after the Player Sponsors Dinner.

G is going to be all Bulldog-ed out.

Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't quite started yet but it looks like 15 tables of 8.
    Marc Webb is here. KWW, Simon Beasley, Clay Smith, Sue Alberti and hopefully few more will arrive.

7. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Webb just talked and was very accomplished and I'm fortunate to be sitting in the same table with Simon Beasley. Grantyghost has instructed me to ask him about the missed goal at Cararra where those bad news bears were sitting on their team mates shoulders.

9. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Webb just talked and was very accomplished and I'm fortunate to be sitting in the same table with Simon Beasley. Grantyghost has instructed me to ask him about the missed goal at Cararra where those bad news bears were sitting on their team mates shoulders.
    Ask him if he is proud to have the WOOF Buster Beaser goal kicking award named after him!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Ask him if he is proud to have the WOOF Buster Beaser goal kicking award named after him!
    Would have thought it was the pinnacle of his football achievements.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zimmerman is really cracking the audience up.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good night at the Mulgrave Country Club. I feel I have to say Shankyou to the venue for the brilliant meals. Veg soup, Lamb Shank and a killer choco cake.
    Hosted by Kevin Hillier this was the 40th Anniversary of the East West Club.

Not the star studded line-up as we've come to enjoy over the years but getting to sit with Simon Beasley, having a quick chat with Sue Alberti and sitting near a wonderful 85yo guy called Mick and his wife made for a very enjoyable night.
    Mick's been a member of the club since 1969 who also happened to arrive in Australia as a 10 pound Pom.

Kylie W-W was first up and gave an overview on the memberships and how all the construction work at the ground was going.
    Very complimentary of Ameet and the team that's been assembled.

Marc Webb did a good presentation on his role as a stoppages coach and opposition analysis. He said Bevo was very stats driven with his planning and if you have ideas on how we should be setting up or changing things you need to have some stats that support it.
    He does a lot of 1 on 1 work with Bevo and then both of them start working with the line coaches. He also has some midfielders he talks to as part of the stoppages work and set-up and that is in conjunction with Brendan Lade.
    He talked about the planning for this weeks game with Essendon and talked about the lessons learned from the way Geelong matched up with them and how that worked.
    I've heard some speculation that Webb will head back to WA at the end of the season but I hope we keep him.

Clay Smith and Simon Beasley were interviewed and Clay talked about all the work he does as a coach for Point Cook and his plans with boxing and Simon talked about how he would have loved to play at Marvel in the pristine conditions. Hillier said that Malthouse would never have been able to drop him due to conditions if Marvel had been around and Beasley snapped back that I kicked 6 the following week so I shut him up.
    He's still into his horses and goes for long walks 3 or 4 times a week. He's not a fan of how forwards do all the tricky shots for goal from 30mtrs out.

Bonus stuff is a bit boring but Granty insisted (insisted or politely asked same same) I ask him about his goal attempt at Carrara Oval all those years ago against the Bears and he said despite all the distractions he thought he would nail it. It certainly doesn't haunt him. I let him know we have a weekly goal kicking summary named in his honor (Thanks Doc) and he had a good chuckle about that.

Club Doctor Gary Zimmerman who been with the club since I think 96 and club surgeon David Young were highly entertaining.
    Hillier asked about the worst injury first up and Zimmerman replied with catching his foreskin in his zipper. Ouch
    I think they called him Doc Zipperman after that. He talked about his mustache saying that Dipper used to come and talk to him as part of his boundary riders role and say you have a better mustache than I have but I make more money with mine. He also talked about how on an overseas trip/junket when we were pitted against the Saints a slightly drunk Chris Grant threatened to get a few players to hold Zimmerman down and cut his mo. Zimmers replied that he wouldn't try and fight back but he cautioned Grant that every needle he would have from then on would be a blunt one. Grant decided to let it go.

They talked about ACL injuries and some of the worst injuries they seen and Young was highly complimentary about the work Zimmerman does. They talked about how they had 5 ACL's one year and the club spent 20K bringing in an expert to explore the reasons why this was occurring only to find out the review determined it was just bad luck. They talked at length about the soft cap cutback and how the competition was losing good coaches.

Zimmerman provided an in depth and informative summary about the concussion protocols and gave an overview on how they assessed Lachie McNeil. The Doctors and Physio are constantly looking at delayed vision for contact and they knew straight away that JOD had concussion but O'Neil only showed symptoms after the game. They have an app that helps them determine concussions.

They did a roving microphone and brought Sue Alberti into the conversation about the injuries the AFLW players were experiencing.
    I won't go into all the details but it was a very good discussion.
    Zimmerman talked about how some young players on the pathway were playing too much footy with their school, club and state.
    Talked about how they needed to manage Baz Smith when he arrived as he couldn't switch off.

I think I've crapped on too much about our medical staff but I could go on.

Finally Gavin Dore was up. Dore umpired over 300 games and one of his sons is umpiring in the AFL.
    Dore was fantastic with his views on umpiring and footy. He's still umpiring at the under 19 level.

I feel I say this every year but if you have ever thought of attending this function it's a terrific night and for $85 I think it represents great value.

Post Thanks / Like

Shankyou? You stealing my material now?

Thanks for the great write up G. Sounds like an epic night.

Post Thanks / Like

Some bonus information:

The Docs talked about how it's a nine month recovery program from ACL and that rights across all the clubs now so there are no Docs trying to do it quicker. They then discussed the miracle that was Tony Liberatore who recovered from his knee injury in just 4 months.
    Zimmerman went on to say that Tony is still playing football and outside of the one covid year he's pretty much played since he retired from the AFL.

Dore mentioned that at the age of something like 32 he was finding the running required to umpire the game was too demanding when all of a sudden the AFL started suggesting they bring in 3 umpires and that move extended his career. Mind you the initial plan was split the money the two umpires were getting across the 3 of them.

18. Thanks bornadog, bulldogtragic, josie, Eastdog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates, sounds like a good night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Shankyou? You stealing my material now?

Thanks for the great write up G. Sounds like an epic night.
    Sounds like a prison greeting.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Zimmerman went on to say that Tony is still playing football and outside of the one covid year he's pretty much played since he retired from the AFL.
    Tony plays for the Northside Lions, they played our over 50s on the weekend.

I believe he usually coaches one of the Victorian teams in the national masters carnival as well.