Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  48
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 17, 2023 vs Collingwood

Some of the criticisms of Bontempelli and Liberatore this year compared with their massive contributions this year is beyond the pale imo. Are they expected to have 3 brownlow votes every game ? give it a break.

2. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Some of the criticisms of Bontempelli and Liberatore this year compared with their massive contributions this year is beyond the pale imo. Are they expected to have 3 brownlow votes every game ? give it a break.
    I don't ever actually criticise either, but I would absolutely prefer us winning games every week.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Have you considered that tagging someone might be dependent on whether they are more susceptible to a tag versus others?
    You are suggesting it works.
    I haven't noticed but will look.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    You are suggesting it works.
    I haven't noticed but will look.
    Possibly, but at the same time if your role is see ball, extract ball, then it's pretty one-dimensional. Super important, but less complicated.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We do rightly hold him at the elite level but I think most would agree that he does miss some clutch goals.
    We shouldn't really complain though.
    It?s because he is so elite that we complain about the misses.

The goal kicking is tricky though - he consistently misses goals from directly infront <35m out and it simply isn?t good enough. Isn?t the only one

Post Thanks / Like

Bont's a star. Our equal second best player ever. Enjoy him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bont's a star. Our equal second best player ever. Enjoy him.
    My Grandad always said Alan Hopkins was our best ever, unbelievable ball control. My vote is, of course, with EJ. Just curious where your best ever Bulldog status lies.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    My Grandad always said Alan Hopkins was our best ever, unbelievable ball control. My vote is, of course, with EJ. Just curious where your best ever Bulldog status lies.
    This is just my opinion based on what my Dad has told me and he was a rabid fan through the E.J era. I'm 50 so never saw him play but from how my Dad explained it to me and just looking the accolades and achievements he received, especially the bit about being named captain of the VFL / AFL team of the century, for me, Ted Whitten is our best ever player. He's the Bradman of the Bulldogs and may never be topped.

I concede that his legacy grows and distorts our perception and I understand that many have Bont as our best because of his current exploits and we have a front row seat right now. The B&F he won in a Premiership year means he's definitely in the conversation, but my Dad said E.J could do all the Bont things but he also always nailed the clutch moments and did things to win the game when the team needed it and he did them regularly. Maybe that's what sets him apart from second.

Looking over all the lists of the greatest ever players Carey, Matthews, Albert Snr are always top 5 in the lists and so is Whitten. It's the opinion of most that he was one of the best handful of players ever. So he's still number 1 for me.

I have Grant and Bont at 2 but I'm bias as I only started going to games in 1978 when we moved to Footscray. Number 3 is much harder for me as I really struggle to split Dougie and Johnno because I'm still emotionally attached to them for different reasons and can't make a decision. Johnno's AA captain year when he booted 70 something as a 5'11 full forward may get him across the line.

1978-1980 Kelvin Templeton was better than anyone btw Carey included.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bornadog, Jeanette54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This is just my opinion based on what my Dad has told me and he was a rabid fan through the E.J era. I'm 50 so never saw him play but from how my Dad explained it to me and just looking the accolades and achievements he received, especially the bit about being named captain of the VFL / AFL team of the century, for me, Ted Whitten is our best ever player. He's the Bradman of the Bulldogs and may never be topped.

I concede that his legacy grows and distorts our perception and I understand that many have Bont as our best because of his current exploits and we have a front row seat right now. The B&F he won in a Premiership year means he's definitely in the conversation, but my Dad said E.J could do all the Bont things but he also always nailed the clutch moments and did things to win the game when the team needed it and he did them regularly. Maybe that's what sets him apart from second.

Looking over all the lists of the greatest ever players Carey, Matthews, Albert Snr are always top 5 in the lists and so is Whitten. It's the opinion of most that he was one of the best handful of players ever. So he's still number 1 for me.

I have Grant and Bont at 2 but I'm bias as I only started going to games in 1978 when we moved to Footscray. Number 3 is much harder for me as I really struggle to split Dougie and Johnno because I'm still emotionally attached to them for different reasons and can't make a decision. Johnno's AA captain year when he booted 70 something as a 5'11 full forward may get him across the line.

1978-1980 Kelvin Templeton was better than anyone btw Carey included.
    You have summed up this well and seems same for me, although I am little older than you, but pre 70s, I was only a little kid so don't remember too much. I too still have Grant as number 1, but Bont is closing in rapidly. EJ, I have to take everyone's word for his performance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Jeanette54 liked this post