Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 17, 2023 vs Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bankers

- Our 3 prominent forwards last night looked very threatening. They did their best to keep us in it and Marra's marking was sensational.
    - Despite the brain fade I thought Poulter showed he is a more than capable player. I'm bullish on his future.
    - Richards return was particularly pleasing and Gardner's courage in playing through the discomfort was noticeable.

Anchors

- Unlocking whatever is blocking Bailey Smith's performances is a critical step for the coaches. We need him back to his best.
    - Despite a decent performance last week JOD is just not ready yet and we need to get him back at Footscray.
    - Probably the worst game from Treloar in a long while.
    Re Smith, Lipinski plays the exact same role for the Pies and was more effective. No stand out however played the role well.

It's a shame we couldn't sell the same role to him.

Bailey just can't get involved from there needs to be running off the other mids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    well if you read my comment to YHF I thought he was a bit harsh.
    Also English clearly won ruck rules. 17 out of 30 hitouts were HTA, which is rarely done in AFL.
    Agree he could have done more around the ground

We all see things differently
    There are hit to advantage then there hits to certain scoring opportunity. I can’t remember any English taps to us where our player wasn’t under instant pressure. Certainly none like De Goey ones.

Post Thanks / Like

English should be torching the likes of Cameron and Cox. He's just not a good ruck, I'm not sure how much more evidence we need. Unless he's influencing around the ground, he has no influence.

He wasn't horrible but it wasn't a good enough performance in a big game and that's tbeen the trend with him.
    W00F!

4. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot, macca, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yeah my 'horrible performance' was over the top in the heat of the moment.
    I just expected Tim to really be a big factor in us challenging the Pies last night around the ground, and he wasn't.
    He was a bit off with his ground level game. A few intercepted handballs, that last centre clearance where the ball skewed off the side of his boot. A bit like Bontempelli, he has his chances to impact the game but didn't take them.

Bankers

Skillful, exciting first half football - thoroughly enjoyed watching our first half, and in particular one passage of play where we went the length of the ground with four beautiful kicks. I think it was Macrae, JUH, English and West, ending with Naughton. We looked really intent on scoring off rebound, and our defenders did well to provide that opportunity.

Forward triple threat - really impressive displays from all three of the guns up forward. We looked so much more threatening with those three going to work in a paddock of space compared to Lobb and others clogging it up. There's still some room for improvement, with a bit of confusion around who was going up, Weightman getting pantsed one on one vs Quaynor, and Jamarra's goalkicking letting us down once more.

Poulter - once he worked out which team he was playing for he had an impact, the goal was great (bit of a shame the game was dead), used his legs to drive out of traffic a couple of times, and looked okay marking under pressure.

Anchors

Midfield - our mids looked panicky around clearance for the first three and a half quarters. I don't mind the quick bomb if there's no handball option but they've got to get better distance on the kick. Treloar was the worst culprit. Collingwood by comparison made us look like witches hats. Daicos made it look easy, he's so agile, and killed us with those 15 metre handballs forward to a player that was out. Might have been a set play, and something we need to look at ourselves.

Umpires - couldn't buy a HTB decision in the second half. Jamarra front on contact or chopping of the arms, take your pick, no idea how that doesn't get paid.

Second quarter conversion - we don't have the killer instinct that we had in 2021. We could have gone 5+ goals up on them in that second quarter but squandered opportunity after opportunity. Then they have a quick patch in time on and all of a sudden the margin is 5 points. Proved to be the difference.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

6. Likes whythelongface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Re Smith, Lipinski plays the exact same role for the Pies and was more effective. No stand out however played the role well.

It's a shame we couldn't sell the same role to him.

Bailey just can't get involved from there needs to be running off the other mids.
    I didn't even realise he was playing until the last quarter. He left to play midfield and now he's not in the midfield because they have better players there just like we do. He's a somewhat limited forward who wants to get CBA time but isn't quite good enough in the best teams. Good on him for trying.

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. JUH and Naughton's marking, a pleasure to watch those two.

2. Gardner, played a solid game, is tough as nails and backed himself to take a few marks.

3. Weightman is a real opportunist and when he gets that opportunity he takes it. A bit of an anchor -Was disappointed he missed the goal from in front in the last as he is a great set shot.

Anchors

1. Ed's running across the backline and then giving the ball direct to the opposition to goal - does this alot and must really think about what the hell is he doing.

2. Umpires - totally inconsistent with HTB, chopping arms and they don't bother with 50 metre penalty when infringing in the protected zone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    English should be torching the likes of Cameron and Cox. He's just not a good ruck, I'm not sure how much more evidence we need. Unless he's influencing around the ground, he has no influence.

He wasn't horrible but it wasn't a good enough performance in a big game and that's tbeen the trend with him.
    The tap to Degoey in the center square pretty much summed up English as a ruckman at that moment .Degoey gets a clearance ,goes to Pies fwd and results in a goal.

Cameron is no way an elite ruckman , but he does his job and halves the contest

We needed to win that contest to stop the run of goals.

When it was his time to step up and ask thr midfield tobwin a contest it was lacking

Post Thanks / Like

Stats don't always tell the story. Other than quoting stats what in particular did you find positive about his game?
    Other than a good last quarter I don't think he really contributed that much.
    I saw Tim's opponents at ball ups under the fall of the ball and him in second position too often.
    His body language was angst filled it seemed, a bit overwrought.
    Knocks not to advantage.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    The tap to Degoey in the center square pretty much summed up English as a ruckman at that moment .Degoey gets a clearance ,goes to Pies fwd and results in a goal.

Cameron is no way an elite ruckman , but he does his job and halves the contest

We needed to win that contest to stop the run of goals.

When it was his time to step up and ask thr midfield tobwin a contest it was lacking
    The harsh's critics of English are Bulldog supporters.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes anfo27, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stats don't always tell the story. Other than quoting stats what in particular did you find positive about his game?
    Other than a good last quarter I don't think he really contributed that much.
    Ruck work and around the ground 17 disposals, took some vital marks in the backline at times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I saw Tim's opponents at ball ups under the fall of the ball and him in second position too often.
    His body language was angst filled it seemed, a bit overwrought.
    Knocks not to advantage.
    I agree. Freo did the same last week. Lobb coped better, he was able to force the obstructing ruckman back and at least get his hand to the ball.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ruck work and around the ground 17 disposals, took some vital marks in the backline at times
    He also got out marked in the back line.
    Stats wise his game looked reasonable but he really wasn't a factor for us.

He really did try his best though and ran the game out trying to make an impact.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He also got out marked in the back line.
    Stats wise his game looked reasonable but he really wasn't a factor for us.

He really did try his best though and ran the game out trying to make an impact.
    I am not saying he was fantastic but he wasn't poor either. Anyhow YHF has explained his comment and I agree with that.

Post Thanks / Like

The hitouts to advantage stats are a good reflection of how the ruck duel played out in my view. Cameron had maybe a couple of decisive taps that linger in the mind, but Collingwood's overall stoppage dominance was due to their mids' quick feet, quick reflexes and clean hands. From my seat, English clearly won the battle in the ruck, but agree with others that he was down on usual output around the ground, including getting outmarked by Cameron on one occasion.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

21. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The harsh's critics of English are Bulldog supporters.
    It’s a results based industry
    I am not trying to be critical even if that may read it that way
    It’s being able to seize the moment , and grab the momentum back for your team