Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Shout out to Jack Macrae

Bappo - Baptist - Religion - Superstition - Curse. Macrae was educated at Carey Baptist Grammar. It's bad enough a joke not flying but having to explain it.... My turn. How would you describe Macrae's revised role and why the change ? If it helps, I think it's reduced midfield time, making way for Smith and Treloar who have pace. He appears to be stationed at high half forward and does in and under work when not on the ball and when play is at high half forward. I think it's a pace issue. I referenced an article by Mick McGuane in which he suggests that it's because Macrae's seen as prioritising accumulation over delivery. What do you think ?

2. Likes bulldogtragic, chef, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Big call Westie, big call. There's plenty of other frontrunners.
    A few of mine are probably up there too

4. Likes EasternWest, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    A few of mine are probably up there too
    Ditto.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Bappo - Baptist - Religion - Superstition - Curse. Macrae was educated at Carey Baptist Grammar. It's bad enough a joke not flying but having to explain it.... My turn. How would you describe Macrae's revised role and why the change ? If it helps, I think it's reduced midfield time, making way for Smith and Treloar who have pace. He appears to be stationed at high half forward and does in and under work when not on the ball and when play is at high half forward. I think it's a pace issue. I referenced an article by Mick McGuane in which he suggests that it's because Macrae's seen as prioritising accumulation over delivery. What do you think ?
    Macrae (statistically) is quite an effective inside 50 kick so part of it may be we need better connection into the F50 and Macrae actually helps this.
    Putting a natural ball winner in the 'dead' position of high half forward (which can be an absolute ghost town of a spot for all but the very best players) may well be considered a coaching success story from this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Macrae (statistically) is quite an effective inside 50 kick so part of it may be we need better connection into the F50 and Macrae actually helps this.
    Putting a natural ball winner in the 'dead' position of high half forward (which can be an absolute ghost town of a spot for all but the very best players) may well be considered a coaching success story from this year.
    I agree with both of those, Macrae's kicks are generally low and hard, counterpoint to the much criticised long bombs. I wonder whether they are unintended consequences or deliberate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually been really happy with Macrae's work over the past 6-8 weeks at least. The challenge of a new role which can be really difficult for some players (as we've seen) and is still getting a bit of footy, never fumbles and makes good decisions. Can't expect for him to reach his previous levels given the role change, but he's getting involved in plenty of scoring chains.

A good effort to continue to gather more than 20 every single week and hopefully set the record this week, albeit not a full time mid anymore.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I've actually been really happy with Macrae's work over the past 6-8 weeks at least. The challenge of a new role which can be really difficult for some players (as we've seen) and is still getting a bit of footy, never fumbles and makes good decisions. Can't expect for him to reach his previous levels given the role change, but he's getting involved in plenty of scoring chains.

A good effort to continue to gather more than 20 every single week and hopefully set the record this week, albeit not a full time mid anymore.
    Just because he's not attending CB's it doesn't mean he's not playing as a mid...as referenced by Bevo's comments last week.

Agree he's doing well in a changed role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    He doesn?t get many set shots but I have to say that recently, when within range, he is much more comfortable kicking them than what he used to be.
    Except for his set shot at the end of the 2016 Prelim. My favourite set shot ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Deserves to finish his career with a Sutton medal.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Giggity

16. Likes bulldogtragic, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Giggity
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes EasternWest, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That was my next go to.

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok - all reports we are after Watson:

Watson Marra Weightman
    Clarke Naughton Lobb

Resting: English, Bont & Adz

Arty goes back to the wing with Poulter, Baker, Scott & Williams (maybe Harmes)

Where does that leave Jacko?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ok - all reports we are after Watson:

Watson Marra Weightman
    Clarke Naughton Lobb

Resting: English, Bont & Adz

Arty goes back to the wing with Poulter, Baker, Scott & Williams (maybe Harmes)

Where does that leave Jacko?
    Macrae has to get back into the midfield rotations. We don't have many other options. I doubt Clarke has jumped ahead of him either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes jeemak liked this post