29 points
    15 points
    20 points
    45 points
    29 points
    21 points
    41 points

10 wins - 5 by under goals

So what do you see? A team that just needs to tweak things and pull back those narrow losses?

Or a team that finds ways to lose and needs a change on and/or off field?

I can accept that you can see either argument. Sure there is narrow losses and if we just kicked better and but for injuries then maybe we aren’t where we are now. On the other hand, we led early (and late) in a lot of our losses and gave up some decent leads.

Depending on what you see, we just need to tweak things and top up at trade time, or, we need to get overhaul a myriad of issues to stop handing over winnable games.

So what do you see when you look at the results to date, and the context they are in?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The ultimate Rorshack Test

I see a system that doesn’t generate enough goals to break a game and a team that puts its one trick up against whatever is in front of it and hopes for the best.

It’s like we have Peter Sagan on a fixie. Occasionally we come up against other strong riders also on a fixie. Occasionally weaker riders on a 12 speed. Occasionally weaker riders on an e-bike. Doesn’t matter the scenario, we just ask Peter to keep pedalling.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem isn?t the closeness of the losses, it?s how we get to them. I?d be interested to see analysis of whether we get to a close loss by failing to defend a lead or by just failing to chase down an opponent?s lead. My gut says we can?t defend a lead and that?s the problem here. But it?s just a hunch.

5. Likes EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I think the problem isn?t the closeness of the losses, it?s how we get to them. I?d be interested to see analysis of whether we get to a close loss by failing to defend a lead or by just failing to chase down an opponent?s lead. My gut says we can?t defend a lead and that?s the problem here. But it?s just a hunch.
    Isn't it as simple as we can not defend. We are a poor tackling team as well. We don't have a balanced side either.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Of the close losses:

Port at Port: Gave up the last four goals - gave it up
    GCS: Bounced out to a three goal lead in the first
    Geelong: Led at half time
    Port here: Four points down at half time
    Collingwood: Led at half time
    Sydney: Gave it up
    GWS: Gave it up

So another Rorshack test. Do we choke. Do oppo adjust at half time and we can?t adapt. Are we not fit enough. Can we not put together the concentration for four quarters.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feels like a healthy chunk of it is our flaky, leaky, injury-depleted backline that's so vulnerable we're forced to craft the rest of our game around trying to insulate and protect it, and any phases during games when we veer from the task cost us accordingly.

We rightly hold our mids to account when they don't run both ways, big jobs carry big responsibilities, but you wonder if we could weaponise them better if we had defenders we can trust instead of the collection of warm bodies we call a backline.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Feels like a healthy chunk of it is our flaky, leaky, injury-depleted backline that's so vulnerable we're forced to craft the rest of our game around trying to insulate and protect it, and any phases during games when we veer from the task cost us accordingly.

We rightly hold our mids to account when they don't run both ways, big jobs carry big responsibilities, but you wonder if we could weaponise them better if we had defenders we can trust instead of the collection of warm bodies we call a backline.
    Excellent post.

We kick into the forward line narrow side to congestion so the ball doesn't come out quickly and expose the defence. We avoid the corridor mostly because we're shit scared of a quick defensive entry.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Having some (small) forwards who lock the ball in our forward line would really help too.

22 inside 50 tackles to GWS yesterday, we had 7... filling our forward line with mids needs to stop.

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Having some (small) forwards who lock the ball in our forward line would really help too.

22 inside 50 tackles to GWS yesterday, we had 7... filling our forward line with mids needs to stop.
    That number is particularly galling because we did have three 'pressure forwards' in Cody, VDM and West.

Post Thanks / Like

We can’t hold the ball in our fwd 50
    We can’t hold tackles, let alone break them
    Our overrated team of mids can’t/won’t/don’t defend
    Our backline is, and still is, our Achilles heel.

Until these get fixed, we are an average team
    I will never see #16 the same!!