Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  272
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular takes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unpopular takes

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Now that we are in danger of potentially not adding another premiership in the near future, in hindsight I really don't like history forever documenting Bob Murphy raising the 2016 premiership cup alongside Easton Wood. That was an iconic, historic moment that should have been between senior coach and captain on the day (and majority of the season). It was Bevo's moment and Bob was all too eager to remain on the podium with Easton.

I know Bevo initiated it but Bob should have read the room and quietly exited stage left to allow Bevo his moment to raise the cup with Easton. Bevo already brought Bob to the podium and acknowledged his significant contribution in his speech - IMO Bob didn't deserve the additional "me time" of holding the cup aloft, which to be frank he had very little to do with on-field throughout the season (and nothing to do with on GF day).

I know I'm shooting Bambi but the thread is called "Unpolular Takes"
    Woah there! I had an instant “ you’re kidding ?!! “ reaction, but in the true spirit of unpopular takes, you’ve got me thinking.

At the time I thought it was perfect recognition of the fact that a premiership takes more than the guys out on the field. I felt proud that our club had recognised that. I still do, but whenever I see Bob in his Freo gear, or heard him talk about how at home he now feels among The Purple, I feel a bit affronted somehow, and it has lessened the impact of that moment, so your unpopular take isn’t something I’d reject so completely these days.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes bornadog, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the time it was a most touching moment but in hindsight he should have politely waved Bevo off or left the stage quickly.
    We all love Bob though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Katie Brennan's moment.

5. Likes Virgin-Dog, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that we are in danger of potentially not adding another premiership in the near future, in hindsight I really don't like history forever documenting Bob Murphy raising the 2016 premiership cup alongside Easton Wood. That was an iconic, historic moment that should have been between senior coach and captain on the day (and majority of the season). It was Bevo's moment and Bob was all too eager to remain on the podium with Easton.

I know Bevo initiated it but Bob should have read the room and quietly exited stage left to allow Bevo his moment to raise the cup with Easton. Bevo already brought Bob to the podium and acknowledged his significant contribution in his speech - IMO Bob didn't deserve the additional "me time" of holding the cup aloft, which to be frank he had very little to do with on-field throughout the season (and nothing to do with on GF day).

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great unpopular nomination for this thread, but I will take some time to think it over before opining myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I tend to agree. If you watch closely, Bevo actually goes to raise the cup with Easton (and possibly jointly with Murph) but Murph is overly enthusiastic and forgets Bevo is even there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yep, was a running joke with my friend circle for ages.
    Poor Bevo got shafted. His arm moves towards grabbing it then he stops.
    I just watched it again for the first time in over six years. I tend to agree, for some reason I thought incorrectly that Bevo lifted it and handed it over. Watching it again though, hard to disagree.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Woah there! I had an instant ? you?re kidding ?!! ? reaction, but in the true spirit of unpopular takes, you?ve got me thinking.

At the time I thought it was perfect recognition of the fact that a premiership takes more than the guys out on the field. I felt proud that our club had recognised that. I still do, but whenever I see Bob in his Freo gear, or heard him talk about how at home he now feels among The Purple, I feel a bit affronted somehow, and it has lessened the impact of that moment, so your unpopular take isn?t something I?d reject so completely these days.
    I'll never forget how instrumental Bob was in holding the club together in the wake of shocktober. His leadership was critical to the clubs quick resurgence.

It was a great moment when Bevo invited him up on stage for the medal. But I do think he should have left the raising of the cup to Bevo. Or at least the 3 of them somehow raise it together. Bevo should have been raising the cup in some form.

Post Thanks / Like

The expansion of the AFLW has killed it's momentum - the clubs that paved the way for the competition are continually punished by having their best players leave, and it's removed any emotional attachment to most of the players as many of the favourites are now in opposition colours. Katie Brenna was a big one, the Emme Kearney, and seeing Bonnie Toogood in Essendon colours is just not right.

The abysmally low ratings and crowd attendances are a symptom of this. A lot of the enthusiasm of the first season has now been lost.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The expansion of the AFLW has killed it's momentum - the clubs that paved the way for the competition are continually punished by having their best players leave, and it's removed any emotional attachment to most of the players as many of the favourites are now in opposition colours. Katie Brenna was a big one, the Emme Kearney, and seeing Bonnie Toogood in Essendon colours is just not right.

The abysmally low ratings and crowd attendances are a symptom of this. A lot of the enthusiasm of the first season has now been lost.
    Should they have been stand-alone clubs not attached to the mens ones so we didn't have so many clubs and the diluting the product doesn't happen?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that just what happens with most national competitions (male or female) that aren't the AFEL and NRL? The most obvious example is the A-League, which was white-hot in its first few seasons (right up until the failed World Cup bid), and since then it couldn't have been more effectively hidden if it was in the witness protection program. BBL has shrunk dramatically from its peak about 4-5 years ago as well.

Good luck to all these other national competitions generating increased revenue, sponsorships and attendances in this era of high inflation, high interest rates and incredible day-to-day cost of living pressures on everyday Australians.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clubs are punished except Melbourne. Still can't work that one out.

13. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Katie Brennan's moment.
    I completely agree with Sedats nomination - Bevo had his moment stolen.

But this one annoyed me more than Bob. At least Bob was RW&B through and through - Brennan was all about her.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, was a running joke with my friend circle for ages.
    Poor Bevo got shafted. His arm moves towards grabbing it then he stops.
    I never post on BF anymore but at the time some St Kilda nuffies were criticizing Bob for raising the cup, and I responded to them that they can celebrate St Kilda's next flag triumph with the burning dwarf holding the cup aloft, alongside Ricky Nixon clad only in his Bonds undies and the St Kilda school girl.

I felt like Costanza going out on a high note after that.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is killing AFLW is the AFL itself. Scheduling of games on Friday at 5pm for example, but more importantly, no proper strategic plan, not issuing fixtures till the last minute, only 10 games for 18 teams etc etc. AFL have no idea.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes josie, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What is killing AFLW is the AFL itself. Scheduling of games on Friday at 5pm for example, but more importantly, no proper strategic plan, not issuing fixtures till the last minute, only 10 games for 18 teams etc etc. AFL have no idea.
    The footy is appalling right now BAD. I’m actually not sure the pathways are working and the absence of a competitive second tier is hurting. I’m still watching but man o man...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to suggest that your views on Bob have visibly changed over the years due to the type of person he has become, or tries to represent himself as, and it's influenced and emphasised a retrospective change.

Not saying that's wrong, and I'm not even saying that I don't agree with your point of view in some way. However, I know that Bob has been in your sights in a way for some time.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

22. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The footy is appalling right now BAD. I’m actually not sure the pathways are working and the absence of a competitive second tier is hurting. I’m still watching but man o man...
    I agree, I am finding it hard to watch.

One of the biggest issues that has effected today, is the first 3 or 4 years (and maybe still ), where the AFL brought in older women, some who had never played footy ie from other codes. They should have stuck with the younger women and let them build and today they would be far more experienced and skilled. My wife's niece was in some sort of talent squad before the actual league started, and tested well, but no one followed up after the initial testing and training sessions, so she switched to Rugby Union. Not saying she would have made it, but there were alot of girls at that camp.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.