Re: Unpopular takes

Toast sucks.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah, well...depending on your thoughts on:

Toby Bedford, Connor Idun, Lachie Schultz, Nick Hind, Jack Ross, Tom Berry, Keiren Briggs, James Rowbottom, Bobby Hill, Xavier Duursma and Chayce Jones you might find it isn't much different.

Butters was in that draft (about 10 I think) and would jump Smith and more than a few others...but the ones ahead of Baz - Sam Walsh, King twins, Rankine, Rozee and Lukosious prob stay there...and the ones below him (Tarryn Thomas, Jackson Hately, Jordan Clark, Jye Caldwell) prob stay there...

It's a funny draft year and there isn't much in the rookie draft selections...cat b had O'Connor (Cats) and Callum Brown (Giants) I guess but there are a LOT of misses there...

And yes, it's very sad that I can kind of rattle this off.

I know Stack was picked late to my eternal relief at the time but that hasn't really stood the test of time now, has it?
    Thanks.

Certainly hard to see the ones below jump Smith.

Notwithstanding all that, do you think Smith is over rated as player?

Has had pretty ordinary 2023 season.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Toast sucks.
    So what do you have for breakfast? Do you eat sandwiches?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well...depending on your thoughts on:

Toby Bedford, Connor Idun, Lachie Schultz, Nick Hind, Jack Ross, Tom Berry, Keiren Briggs, James Rowbottom, Bobby Hill, Xavier Duursma and Chayce Jones you might find it isn't much different.

Butters was in that draft (about 10 I think) and would jump Smith and more than a few others...but the ones ahead of Baz - Sam Walsh, King twins, Rankine, Rozee and Lukosious prob stay there...and the ones below him (Tarryn Thomas, Jackson Hately, Jordan Clark, Jye Caldwell) prob stay there...

It's a funny draft year and there isn't much in the rookie draft selections...cat b had O'Connor (Cats) and Callum Brown (Giants) I guess but there are a LOT of misses there...

And yes, it's very sad that I can kind of rattle this off.

I know Stack was picked late to my eternal relief at the time but that hasn't really stood the test of time now, has it?
    A lot of this is role dependent and other things to thought right.

If Smith was playing for Port, he?d probably be racking 30+ a week and getting all the plaudits. I actually agree with you that Butters and Rozee are probably better footballers at the moment because I trust
    Their decision making, composure and disposal under pressure a lot more than Smith, however it?s arguable and they perhaps haven?t got the proven finals match winner ability Smith has.

Rankine? meh not convinced yet.
    Lukosious, probably because he?s tall and good albeit still inconsistent.

It?s a really interesting draft in many ways because the recruiters have largely got it right with minimal surprises mid / late or total busts early. One of the few times that?s happened.

I also still think Smith has a bloody high ceiling.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Notwithstanding all that, do you think Smith is over rated as player?
    I'm not sure what "everyone" is expecting him to do.

I don't think he is a particularly natural footballer - what is he then? Well, he's a great runner with a strong work-rate. He gets the footy by getting up and back and simply out-running/out-working his oppo. He isn't a super instinctive player who gets to the right spots and is rewarded (which you see players like Macrae and Treloar able to do) and whilst he is a good contested footy player he is a bit see ball get ball and is a fair way down the list of inside mids...

So we have a player who isn't really a natural at finding space playing in a role best suited to players who are at their best just 'knowing' where they need to be in order to win possession...I think he's battled away pretty solidly given the cards he's been dealt and because of his high off-field profile he is a bit of a lightning rod for criticism.

Does Bailey need to play 'better'?? I mean, I guess. But if we are asking a player who is a good kick but doesn't have great on-field 'vision' to suddenly become some kind of savant when it comes to spotting up targets through the midfield/inside 50 then we are probably destined for disappointment. IF we could become a little more predictable with setup ahead of the ball then (I think) Smith is a good enough player to 'learn' that structure and hit the 'spot' with his kicking...but he is not going to be a spot up kicker...he just isn't.

I don't know really. I have a lot of thoughts about Smith, JJ and Bailey Williams and how they are used and I don't think we always set them up for success....JJ's been SOOOOO much better since he was just put back to half back - it shouldn't be that hard to find similar in box for the other 2.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith is awesome, I mean the content is fresh, there's flesh and usually some type of contemporary nod that makes me feel connected to the kids.

We are talking insta right?

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Smith is awesome, I mean the content is fresh, there's flesh and usually some type of contemporary nod that makes me feel connected to the kids.

We are talking insta right?
    I think we generally underrate players who cover ground well. TVs don't capture it. I'd love it if Kayo could at least provide some gametime from behind the goals vision as it really gives a better sense of what players are doing on the paddock.

How Freo didn't move heaven and earth to keep Langdon still mystifies me.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon we lose this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Toast sucks.
    I like it soup so you can suck toast.

I don't see how your user name could have it any other way.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what "everyone" is expecting him to do.

I don't think he is a particularly natural footballer - what is he then? Well, he's a great runner with a strong work-rate. He gets the footy by getting up and back and simply out-running/out-working his oppo. He isn't a super instinctive player who gets to the right spots and is rewarded (which you see players like Macrae and Treloar able to do) and whilst he is a good contested footy player he is a bit see ball get ball and is a fair way down the list of inside mids...

So we have a player who isn't really a natural at finding space playing in a role best suited to players who are at their best just 'knowing' where they need to be in order to win possession...I think he's battled away pretty solidly given the cards he's been dealt and because of his high off-field profile he is a bit of a lightning rod for criticism.

Does Bailey need to play 'better'?? I mean, I guess. But if we are asking a player who is a good kick but doesn't have great on-field 'vision' to suddenly become some kind of savant when it comes to spotting up targets through the midfield/inside 50 then we are probably destined for disappointment. IF we could become a little more predictable with setup ahead of the ball then (I think) Smith is a good enough player to 'learn' that structure and hit the 'spot' with his kicking...but he is not going to be a spot up kicker...he just isn't.

I don't know really. I have a lot of thoughts about Smith, JJ and Bailey Williams and how they are used and I don't think we always set them up for success....JJ's been SOOOOO much better since he was just put back to half back - it shouldn't be that hard to find similar in box for the other 2.
    Thanks.

How do you think we should be using Smith given what you said, to get the best out of him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

How do you think we should be using Smith given what you said, to get the best out of him?
    His best games this year have been as a 'run-with' player. His game on Cripps was a masterclass on how to play on him.

Perhaps it goes to what mjp says about Smith - his workrate is top-notch so when he gets led to the right spots he's a very good player?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I don't think his current 'role' is terrible for him (start at half forward, extra at the stoppage etc) BUT I think he needs a more focussed role. We are playing Hawthorn this week and I think we need to get him onto Weddle who is super aggressive with his run from that hb line. I would be doing the same thing most weeks to be honest - trying to get him on the best oppo running defender...not as a shut down, just as a reference point/opponent.

I think he's a disciplined player who does play for the team and would be pretty much prepared to do anything asked of him.

I understand some of the frustration with his performances but I really believe a lot of that is due to with some expectations more than anything else...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Reckon we lose this week.
    Not a chance. Best thing to happen to us was Hawks beat Collingwood. Keeps us on our toes and we know what to prepare for.

Collingwood would have been coming off a big training block as well over the past month as they can't lose a top 2 spot. They are looking at finals whereas we are looking at winning at all costs just to make finals.

Hawks are a young team and so are inconsistent.

If we lose we don't deserve to be in the finals so all on the players and coaching team.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think his current 'role' is terrible for him (start at half forward, extra at the stoppage etc) BUT I think he needs a more focussed role. We are playing Hawthorn this week and I think we need to get him onto Weddle who is super aggressive with his run from that hb line. I would be doing the same thing most weeks to be honest - trying to get him on the best oppo running defender...not as a shut down, just as a reference point/opponent.

I think he's a disciplined player who does play for the team and would be pretty much prepared to do anything asked of him.

I understand some of the frustration with his performances but I really believe a lot of that is due to with some expectations more than anything else...
    I have been and continue to be critical of his kicking and his inability to get the ball to a teammate. The last 2 weeks he’s had 12 kicks & 31 handballs… do you think he’s heard the media criticism of his kicking, specifically when going I50 and made a conscious decision to handball more?

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo mentioned just recently that some players were sacrificing their own game for what is best for the team.