Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors RD 21 2023 vs Richmond

This is the Round 21, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this evenings game against Richmond is concluded please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors RD 21 2023 vs Richmond

B

Lobb & West best games for the year
    Bonts & Libba yet again
    Liam Jones us a gun

A

Giving back percentage
    Scott concussion
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Our hands collectively tonight were elite in close.
    Bontempelli ridiculous tonight.
    Caleb Daniel, he must be such a horrifying matchup for most coaches.

Anchors
    There are things to quibble about, but in a tough year, as a supporter sometimes you just need to have some gratitude when you play well and win. That first quarter was the most joyful Western Bulldogs footy I've watched in some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Bevo. We’ve all had our doubts. Last week felt like the kind of loss that could see us in freefall. The fact the guys could come out and play such exhilarating footy after things went so wrong - his message is still getting through.
    2. Bont. It is a gift and a joy, to watch him. A master class.
    3. Liam Jones. I thought it was a desperate move to recruit him. We’d be top 4 if not for his injury. He didn’t miss a beat tonight and has the gift of making those around him better.

Anchors.

1. This year has brought back too much pessimism, the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for us fans. It’s a bad thing to still feel nervous with 7 and 8 goal margins. We should have won by more. But I can’t think of any individual anchor, there were contributions from everyone.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes bornadog, josie, merantau, Bulldog4life, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"there were contributions from everyone." Spot on. We were up for the fight from the first bounce
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

7. Thanks Hot_Doggies thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Bankers
    1. Bevo. We’ve all had our doubts. Last week felt like the kind of loss that could see us in freefall. The fact the guys could come out and play such exhilarating footy after things went so wrong - his message is still getting through.
    2. Bont. It is a gift and a joy, to watch him. A master class.
    3. Liam Jones. I thought it was a desperate move to recruit him. We’d be top 4 if not for his injury. He didn’t miss a beat tonight and has the gift of making those around him better.

Anchors.

1. This year has brought back too much pessimism, the snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for us fans. It’s a bad thing to still feel nervous with 7 and 8 goal margins. We should have won by more. But I can’t think of any individual anchor, there were contributions from everyone.
    Yeah. It was good to watch, but not as nearly as enjoyable as it should’ve been. I was waiting for the switch to flick out of fear.

I think it was like when the doctor calls you for an appointment about results. It could be really great, but if you’ve got a history of getting bad news you just stress out. Then you get to end of the appointment and it’s all good and you’re thinking why was I worrying the entire time? You get a good result, but so much unnecessary stress.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved it. But ordinarily I’d think the game was over a quarter or half time. It was active in my mind that the nearly 40 point lead wasn’t enough. Maybe I can relax more on the replay.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Best game from Vandermeer in a while if not best game yet.

2. Best game from Odonnell yet

3. Best game from Lobb as a bulldog.

Anchors

1. Taking the foot off the throat so to speak. That really should've been and 80+ point win. Don't get me wrong I still very pleased with a 55 point win.

2. Me getting Covid. I haven't missed a game this season in Victoria until last night. To top it off it I got it off some dickhead who came to work knowingly he has it and didn't wear a mask or gloves or even notify anyone until it the end of the day.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Bankers

Anchors.

The Ultimate Rorschach test.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    2. Me getting Covid. I haven't missed a game this season in Victoria until last night. To top it off it I got it off some dickhead who came to work knowingly he has it and didn't wear a mask or gloves or even notify anyone until it the end of the day.
    Sorry to hear that Rats, and what a selfish prick your work colleague is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. It is such a pleasure to watch Bont play - we are truly blessed.
    2. The young players are really contributing - JUH, JOD, VDM, Poulter, Weightman
    3. Tim really has come of age and hopefully he wants to stay long term with us.

Anchors

1. Last quarter goal yips - kicked 3.5 - need to nail those set shots.
    2. Not really an anchor, but Treloar's second half - only had 10 disposals, however, seemed to cop quiet a few head knocks.
    3. Scott's concussion - has been concussed a few times and really worries me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Tackling. Best tackling I've seen all year. There were times when Richmond looked like having us done for pure leg speed but strong tackling stopped them dead.
    2. Backline. Liam Jones makes a massive difference. He is the point of reference and he, together with Ed Richards and Taylor Duryea, were the strong defensive options that gave Bailey Dale and JJ the room and confidence to run hard and carry the ball. JOD took another step forward. What he lacks in experience (defensive positioning and covering forwards when opposition has a fast breakout) he makes up for with his mobility. Even VDM played well.
    3. Bontempelli and Libba. A joy to watch.

And a little call out to Caleb Poulter - improving bit by bit and his second and third efforts at the contest are beginning to be noticed.

Anchors

None really, except for the missed set shots in the last quarter.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Both Bontempelli and Liberatore deserved 3 brownlow votes and free meals in Lygon street for a year.
    2. Jack Macrae is unassuming, tough, a great team player and very valuable in his new role as half forward / mid.
    3. Bailey Dale's run and attack from the backline, 663 metres gained, outstanding.

Anchors
    Scott's concussion.

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

Tackling with intent and effectiveness

Lobb shooting what he can do

Having all of Jones, JJ and Richards together down back

A

Scott's concussion

Taking the foot off the pedal late in the game
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

B

- fast ball movement with overlap run and a play on mentality end to end
    - kicks to 1:1 contests in the forward line
    - Vandermeer seemed to suit our gamestyle and could (could) become a contributor
    - having jones and richards back

A
    - not winning by 100 pts
    - the lack of protection our forwards get every single week from the umpires
    The dam wall has busted!