Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  116
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R24 2023

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's the Eagles one, the others anyone can drum up excuses for. That loss to West Coast was diabolical.
    Yep. And it was at home, 2 weeks out from the end of season with clear consequences for all to see. It was diabolical losing that. It doesn't get any worse really. The whole club should be utterly embarrassed by it.

2. Likes merantau, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well that's AFL over for me in 2023.
    Bring on the VFL and the AFLW
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Positives for the year. Jamarra showed he can really play.
    O'Donnell did very well and Richards has become a quality defender. Liam Jones can still play and West had his best year.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Thanks macca, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's the Eagles one, the others anyone can drum up excuses for. That loss to West Coast was diabolical.
    GWS. 35 points up half way through the third quarter. They had only kicked four goals for the entire game up to that point. That was an eight point game. You win from that position 99 out of 100 times. That was just as diabolical for me and probably smashed our confidence to lose the other close ones.

You can't buy confidence. That would have really shaken us.

8. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    GWS. 35 points up half way through the third quarter. They had only kicked four goals for the entire game up to that point. That was an eight point game. You win from that position 99 out of 100 times. That was just as diabolical for me and probably smashed our confidence to lose the other close ones.

I agree.

There were so many excuses post game, I singled out the West Coast one because there is nothing that can be said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

The GWS capitulation was the most extreme on the scoreboard but there were mitigating personnel/injury factors on the day. The Hawthorn capitulation was by far the most disappointing in terms of how poorly we actually played - we didn't deserve to get anywhere near as close as we did to pinch it. That 3rd qtr against Hawthorn was the most bin-worthy performance by us all season. The West Coast one was the most batshit crazy one, and reinforced that we are living in our own heads and have forgotten to play with any natural instinct. But for mine the Sydney loss was the most important and the most glaring example of profligacy from a team who has forgotten how to close out games when in complete control. We carelessly threw away 4 points against a team going like busteds at the time, and it started the rot that continued for the remainder of the season.

The above 4 examples also showcased our versatility in being able to lose close games in many different ways.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes GVGjr, Mantis, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The GWS capitulation was the most extreme on the scoreboard but there were mitigating personnel/injury factors on the day. The Hawthorn capitulation was by far the most disappointing in terms of how poorly we actually played - we didn't deserve to get anywhere near as close as we did from pinching it. That 3rd qtr against Hawthorn was the most bin-worthy performance by us all season. The West Coast one was the most batshit crazy one, and reinforced that we are living in our own heads and have forgotten to play with any natural instinct. But for mine the Sydney loss was the most important and the most glaring example of profligacy from a team who has forgotten how to close out games when in complete control. We carelessly threw away 4 points against a team going like busteds at the time, and it started the rot that continued for the remainder of the season.

The above 4 examples also showcased our versatility in being able to lose close games in many different ways.
    Not saying this is the reason but in The Sydney game we lost both JOD and Darcy to injury which again effected the balance of the team when two big blokes are out
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not saying this is the reason but in The Sydney game we lost both JOD and Darcy to injury which again effected the balance of the team when two big blokes are out
    They didn't get us from their big blokes - Papley and Gulden got us in that game. We had more than enough running power to be able to maintain control in that match, and we completely dominated territory for most of the night, but we were incredibly careless in conceding goals out the back (very poor defensive positioning and way too assertive) and our mids were lazy in not running hard defensively to support in D50.

It was a really poor, careless performance against a team who was floundering at 13th at the time. And it started the late season rot.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes. But if held and nerve and took our chances in the last quarter we win that game.

Post Thanks / Like

They didn't get us from their big blokes - Papley and Gulden got us in that game. We had more than enough running power to be able to maintain control in that match, and we completely dominated territory for most of the night, but we were incredibly careless in conceding goals out the back (very poor defensive positioning and way too assertive) and our mids were lazy in not running hard defensively to support in D50.

It was a really poor, careless performance against a team who was floundering at 13th at the time. And it started the late season rot.
    It gave Sydney an impetus/belief too. They aren’t that good IMO and are playing finals. Aaargh.

Post Thanks / Like

If only one person in this world said to clamp down on Gulden before the game. Who knows where we’d be.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If only one person in this world said to clamp down on Gulden before the game. Who knows where we’d be.
    No point , we dont tag

Didnt do it against:

KELLY , WC
    NEWCOMBE, HAWKS