Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  71
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the dumbest thing you've seen on a football field?

I guess the Hawks get all their numbers back in that time too.
    We got it to the wing and won the contest but no free was given.
    The play worked.. Well kind of.

My biggest question is who was supposed to be the high tall forward on the wing.

Eg Lobb.

Maybe Tim's headless giraffe was hard to position for... Ha that analogy.

Post Thanks / Like

It was dumb but I think the game was lost by then anyway. English was probably spent and didn’t want to be the target?
    Naughton’s goal kicking is dumber on a consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    It was dumb but I think the game was lost by then anyway. English was probably spent and didn’t want to be the target?
    Naughton’s goal kicking is dumber on a consistency.
    But he’s an awesome mark. No need to focus on goal kicking all the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    But he’s an awesome mark. No need to focus on goal kicking all the time.
    I think we need to take him up the ground if we aren't going to play him in defence.

He could play a HFF/Wing role for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think we need to take him up the ground if we aren't going to play him in defence.

He could play a HFF/Wing role for sure.
    We need to do something. We will pay him way over $1M a season, and we need a better return than 30+ missed set shots a year. Many fairly straightforward. The ROI isn’t great. A part from some huge marks which don’t count on the scoreboard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, with the game clock stopped he just needs to sprint down the guts and let someone else kick the ball in.

Lever's meltdown in the final last year was pretty epic.
    This is a great nomination. I have a gif of him jumping on the spot and spinning around like a petulant toddler. I watch it when I'm feeling down.

7. Thanks azabob, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    This is a great nomination. I have a gif of him jumping on the spot and spinning around like a petulant toddler. I watch it when I'm feeling down.
    What kind of monster makes a comment like this then doesn't post the gif?
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Richards was next to him and should have demanded the ball, which was the exact same play 2 minutes earlier that resulted in a coast-to-coast goal for us. Both players are equally culpable - it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen from a professional footy team, and it shows we are too often a talent based team instead of a system based one.

We suck at doing the little things.
    Tbf I think Richards ran to the pocket expecting Tim to handball it to him. Richards and Poulter had a 2v1 on that side, with another 1v1 out on the wing.

I have no issue with English not being the long option. He was on the goal line ready to touch another shot if needed. But he should not have taken the kick in.

Side note, Bailey Dale's contest on the wing to win the ball was outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    HE should have been the target.

The dumbest thing is the fact HE took the kick in to begin with.
    If he's on the goalline doing what a ruck should be doing when the opposition kick for goal, then with 45 seconds left bring the ball in before the Hawks had set up their defensive structure, Tim did 100% the right thing.

When there's 45 seconds left in a game, time matters.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What kind of monster makes a comment like this then doesn't post the gif?
    Its been 15 years and I have no idea how to post a gif from my phone gallery in to a woof thread.

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. All he needed to do was put the ball on the ground in the square, wait for a good kicker to run back to pick it up, and sprint up the ground. That easy.
    ... and give them time for the Hawks to set up defensively?

No thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ... and give them time for the Hawks to set up defensively?

No thanks
    That was my point with 45 seconds left, they needed to get the ball moving quickly, before Hawks could set up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he's on the goalline doing what a ruck should be doing when the opposition kick for goal, then with 45 seconds left bring the ball in before the Hawks had set up their defensive structure, Tim did 100% the right thing.

No time would have been lost at all if Richards, who was right next to English, took the kick-in and ran it out with pace and deliver with precision, just as he did 2 minutes earlier for the Bailey Williams goal. That is Richards' role in the team and I bet in situational training during pre-season for last 2 minutes, he would be the one to execute such a strategy - I doubt very much English taking the kick-in would have been trained once in the off-season.

English loping around hesitating and not knowing what to do showed that our head wasn't in the game (not English's sole fault, it's joint responsibility for 2 players who have more than enough experience and should know better). The little things make a big difference. Anyway we got our just desserts on the day - Hawthorn were 10x better across all key metrics. A win would have been a fantastic from a 2023 result perspective but we have some deep issues with game plan and structure - more than any other club, we are relying on talent to get us over the line instead of structure. That's just not going to get it done in 2023.

The contrast between our club in the last 2 seasons and 2016 is stark. We were not the most talented team in 2016 but we took care of all the little things - every player knew their roles and responsibilities and they executed under the hottest of pressure situations away from home and against more talented teams. Even off the ground our decisions were spot on in 2016 - strapping Lin Jong's uninjured shoulder a small example of the club being totally in sync for those 4 weeks (and most of the season to be fair). We are undoubtedly more talented now that we were when we won the flag, but talent will not succeed without structure and discipline.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What was he doing hanging around the goal square once it was clear it was going to be a point? This is the problem and it’s not Tim. It’s a leadership issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    No time would have been lost at all if Richards, who was right next to English, took the kick-in and ran it out with pace and deliver with precision, just as he did 2 minutes earlier for the Bailey Williams goal. That is Richards' role in the team and I bet in situational training during pre-season for last 2 minutes, he would be the one to execute such a strategy - I doubt very much English taking the kick-in would have been trained once in the off-season.\
    We struggled to get through the Hawks set up all day.
    If the choice was kicking through them before they set up, or after they set up, I know which I'd prefer. So yes, time was an issue in terms of where the Hawks players were positioned at that time.

Of all the dumb things we do on a football field (and we probably had half a dozen poor entries into the F50 yesterday that had a far bigger bearing on the result), this was one time we actually had the right strategy.