Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 24, 2023 vs Geelong

This is the Round 24, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this evening's game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 24, 2023 vs Geelong

Bankers
    1. Rory Lobb - his move into first ruck changed the game.
    2. Marcus Bontempelli - captain courageous, battered, bruised and outstanding.
    3. We gave ourselves a shot at finals if things go our way.

Anchors
    Goalkicking - Baker 0-3, Poulter and Ugle-Hagan couldn't even manage a point from 35m.
    Cameron Ling is always commentating at Geelong games - cringe.
    O'Neil selected in the team as sub, sorry, adds nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Lobb - massive impact when called upon to turn the tide in the ruck, having already contributed ably up forward. Best game for the club and continues a strong run of form since being dropped.

Weightman - showed his trademark tenacity to lay 11 tackles, kicked a couple of crucial goals, great small forward's game

West - whilst not a flawless performance through the middle, he gave us some serious grunt and drive through stoppage, as well as quick feet. After a horrid start to the season I'm glad he's found his feet.

Anchors

Dale - worst display of field kicking from him in a good long while.

Jamarra - playing one quarter of footy is not good enough.

First quarter and a half - we were lucky to be within 6 goals with the amount of entries and shots we gave up.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Cameron Ling is always commentating at Geelong games - cringe.
    The little cameo he did with Selwood before the second half was a new low for channel 7 commentary

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Ripper Goal from Lobb from outside 50 and must have travelled 65

2. The opening of the 3rd quarter when we kicked 3 quick goals

3. Bevo for the moves - Lobb to CB changed the game

Anchors

1. Dale, Crozier, Keath turned the ball over many times - must do better

2. 1st half, we looked nervous but we did keep in the game

3. Set shots from Baker and Naughton - gettable goals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Ed Richards - he's really risen in his stature this season. But for the injury, he'd be a lock for AA
    Weightman. Played a real small forward role for the first time in a long time. 11 tackles, and 8 score involvements, plus 2 goals and 2 goal assists.
    O'Donnell. To weirdly misrdirect Bob Dylan speaking about Alicia Keys to JOD, 'there ain't nothing about him that I don't like' The MC, and Bevo copped alot of shit for his continued selection... I might have even slung some of said faeces myself. I can see why. And it speaks to a broader issue. We don't know, what we don't know. They're not throwing darts at a board when selecting a side. There is a big difference between us on the outside not understanding selection decisions and them not being ultimately being rational and explainable, when given access to the inside information Bevo and the MC have at their disposal.

Its been a lean few weeks, so I'm giving another Banker for two players seemingly on their way out of the club, after being good and unlucky servants.
    Hayden Crozier... really solid performance that was more like his very best performances with us.
    McLean, at times really showed the traits that endeared Bevo to get him into the side regularly early in his career, especially in 2016. Injuries have really hampered him. On tonight's performance..I'd almost be keen to even dare consider offering him a 1 yr contract akin to Libba had done, if he was open to it?
    Anchors

I thought Cameron Ling must've had a medical moment early in the last quarter. Didn't really hear from him after that point. He had been otherwise waxing lyrically about Geelong's players constantly up to that point. Wonder what happened to make him go quiet??

Tom Stewart is a brilliant player, who also carries on like a petulant teenager.

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

Ed Richards - he's really risen in his stature this season. But for the injury, he'd be a lock for AA
    Weightman. Played a real small forward role for the first time in a long time. 11 tackles, and 8 score involvements, plus 2 goals and 2 goal assists.
    O'Donnell. To weirdly misrdirect Bob Dylan speaking about Alicia Keys to JOD, 'there ain't nothing about him that I don't like' The MC, and Bevo copped alot of shit for his continued selection... I might have even slung some of said faeces myself. I can see why. And it speaks to a broader issue. We don't know, what we don't know. They're not throwing darts at a board when selecting a side. There is a big difference between us on the outside not understanding selection decisions and them not being ultimately being rational and explainable, when given access to the inside information Bevo and the MC have at their disposal.

Its been a lean few weeks, so I'm giving another Banker for two players seemingly on their way out of the club, after being good and unlucky servants.
    Hayden Crozier... really solid performance that was more like his very best performances with us.
    McLean, at times really showed the traits that endeared Bevo to get him into the side regularly early in his career, especially in 2016. Injuries have really hampered him. On tonight's performance..I'd almost be keen to even dare consider offering him a 1 yr contract akin to Libba had done, if he was open to it?
    Anchors

I thought Cameron Ling must've had a medical moment early in the last quarter. Didn't really hear from him after that point. He had been otherwise waxing lyrically about Geelong's players constantly up to that point. Wonder what happened to make him go quiet??

Tom Stewart is a brilliant player, who also carries on like a petulant teenager.
    Don't fall for the contract extension from the last game of the year. Those boys are cooked and thanks for the memories. We need to move on as we have re signed to many list cloggers - Baker, Keath, VDM etc.

11. Thanks Hot_Doggies thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post