Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
    Post Thanks / Like

All-Australian Selection is OVER-RATED

I couldn't care less about the AA team.

I don't care that Bont is in. Or that Tom is out.

Being selected does not make English a better (or worse) ruckman.

All the crappy awards that got given out last night only do one thing - enable players who have been unable to achieve team success in 2023 to feel better about their performances.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way but to me, the AA Team should be the team that holds up the cup on GF day. And the Brownlow (along with all the other individual awards) should be melted down...they just don't matter.

I have heard it said that some premiership players weren't that good - they 'just got lucky' to lob at a club on the verge of a 'golden era'...well, winning games is hard and to be successful in one season requires incredible dedication. To do it over multiple years? All of those players need to have their shoulders to the wheel, pulling in the same direction and making light of what others would consider sacrifice. What sacrifice does it take to get 35-possessions (which seems to be the gold standard for Brownlow votes?). I would say NONE - 'cos everything you do to get them is directly rewarded in the media and right across social media...if you 'play well' but lose, then you are regarded as 'let down' by your mates...so rarely are questions asked of those 'good players' - "What could you have done differently to help your team".

Anyway - as today has been all about awards I thought I'd put my grouchy old man voice on and say 'awards count for nothing - it's winning games that counts' - and nowhere NEAR enough weight is put on being part of a WINNING team when it comes to giving out awards.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60, Max469, MrMahatma, Bulldog Joe, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All-Australian Selection is OVER-RATED

Do players have bonuses attached to AA selection?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really enjoying the variations in grief we're all experiencing being manifested across such a diverse range of posting.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes EasternWest, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I can't get passionate about Liberatore missing selection or Bont not being named the captain.
    They probably should have been but in the whole scheme of things I haven't given it a lot of thought.

I don't really watch the Brownlow either but will probably watch it this year because Bont is such an inspiration.

None of these awards mean that much to me because the focus is on the Dogs playing and winning finals is what it's all about.
    The steps to get there via list management decisions, trades and draft are fascinating to me because they build a picture of if we might contend or not but these more individual achievements are just nice to have from my perspective.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, mjp, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have to admit I can't get passionate about Liberatore missing selection or Bont not being named the captain.
    They probably should have been but in the whole scheme of things I haven't given it a lot of thought.

I don't really watch the Brownlow either but will probably watch it this year because Bont is such an inspiration.

None of these awards mean that much to me because the focus is on the Dogs playing and winning finals is what it's all about.
    The steps to get there via list management decisions, trades and draft are fascinating to me because they build a picture of if we might contend or not but these more individual achievements are just nice to have from my perspective.
    I’ve been over the Brownlow for ages. It’s just an award for mids who rack up disposals. It’s no longer about the best player. Just a boring award, whether Bont wins or not.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Dry Rot, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of the Brownlow however I like the AA night.
    Ross Lyon was interesting yesterday saying the game is won or lost in the midfield but doesn't think the AFL has any franchise players (that can win games).

Backs up your point about team.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s like a bunch of kids picking a team . It’s embarrassing that people then spend all day ringing radios stations complaining.
    Gives the old selectors self importance.
    And the seriousness way they announce each player is cringeworthy.
    Childish concept that means nothing.
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes mjp, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I couldn't care less about the AA team.

I don't care that Bont is in. Or that Tom is out.

Being selected does not make English a better (or worse) ruckman.

All the crappy awards that got given out last night only do one thing - enable players who have been unable to achieve team success in 2023 to feel better about their performances.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way but to me, the AA Team should be the team that holds up the cup on GF day. And the Brownlow (along with all the other individual awards) should be melted down...they just don't matter.

I have heard it said that some premiership players weren't that good - they 'just got lucky' to lob at a club on the verge of a 'golden era'...well, winning games is hard and to be successful in one season requires incredible dedication. To do it over multiple years? All of those players need to have their shoulders to the wheel, pulling in the same direction and making light of what others would consider sacrifice. What sacrifice does it take to get 35-possessions (which seems to be the gold standard for Brownlow votes?). I would say NONE - 'cos everything you do to get them is directly rewarded in the media and right across social media...if you 'play well' but lose, then you are regarded as 'let down' by your mates...so rarely are questions asked of those 'good players' - "What could you have done differently to help your team".

Anyway - as today has been all about awards I thought I'd put my grouchy old man voice on and say 'awards count for nothing - it's winning games that counts' - and nowhere NEAR enough weight is put on being part of a WINNING team when it comes to giving out awards.
    Yep 100% agree. The whole point of playing football is winning flags. Not individual awards, not getting on telly, not huge contracts and not owning multiple houses.

It's being in the dressing rooms with your teammates after the Grand Final sharing the cup and the moment. The knowledge that all the hard work and sacrifice was worth it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.