Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Change/accountability/who knows best etc

The trust is somewhat broken with me.

I am not after any heads as such but what has frustrated me is 2023 played out exactly like 2022 except this year we missed finals.

How thorough was our 2022 review? How thorough is our 2023 review? Is the club obligated to share the findings to members? Obviously they are not, but surely it is the least they owe members?

It still frustrates me we chose to ignore the 2021 grand final and not review it.

It frustrates the only senior player the match committee dropped during 2023 was Rory Lobb.

It frustrates me the only time we chose to play English forward and Lobb in the ruck was in our last half of 2023.

It frustrates me our minimal list changes over the past few years and now Beveridge is publicly voicing how poor our list depth is.

It frustrates me we could not change our off field culture to keep Dunkley.

It frustrates me that we play role players such as R.Smith, Gowers, McComb sign them to multi year contracts and refuse to play them the very next season.

It frustrates me we did not meet the internal expectations of top four so what are we going to do about it? Unless you are inside the four walls we will not know what we have done until round one in 2024, or it could be deja vu again.

It frustrates me the same leadership group off field and on field have overseen all of the above points.

It frustrates me that I am not inside the four walls but I have to trust the same leaders and process in the hope 2024 is different.

#BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The trust is somewhat broken with me.

I am not after any heads as such but what has frustrated me is 2023 played out exactly like 2022 except this year we missed finals.

How thorough was our 2022 review? How thorough is our 2023 review? Is the club obligated to share the findings to members? Obviously they are not, but surely it is the least they owe members?

It still frustrates me we chose to ignore the 2021 grand final and not review it.

It frustrates the only senior player the match committee dropped during 2023 was Rory Lobb.

It frustrates me the only time we chose to play English forward and Lobb in the ruck was in our last half of 2023.

It frustrates me our minimal list changes over the past few years and now Beveridge is publicly voicing how poor our list depth is.

It frustrates me we could not change our off field culture to keep Dunkley.

It frustrates me that we play role players such as R.Smith, Gowers, McComb sign them to multi year contracts and refuse to play them the very next season.

It frustrates me we did not meet the internal expectations of top four so what are we going to do about it? Unless you are inside the four walls we will not know what we have done until round one in 2024, or it could be deja vu again.

It frustrates me the same leadership group off field and on field have overseen all of the above points.

It frustrates me that I am not inside the four walls but I have to trust the same leaders and process in the hope 2024 is different.

#BeMoreBulldog
    This last bit scares me. It was exactly how I felt at the end of 2022.

Post Thanks / Like

I have moved from a wait to a change position. I think we seriously underperformed this year and should have been challenging the top 4 not finishing 9th. I think as the season went on, decisions made by the coaching team/football admin team not just in the current season, but in previous off season's became more apparent. By the end of the season we dropped games to 2 of the bottom 3 teams and had a coach publicly blaming players and their attitudes. It just doesn't sound healthy to me and a fish rots at the head.

Do I believe that tinkering with the assistants will result in measurable change? No, I don't. I think our issues are more fundamental, but not necessarily personnel based, more the way those people are deployed/used/motivated. I will back the club, but will be critical if they start 2024 the way we started 2023.
    Last edited by FrediKanoute; 07-09-2023 at 03:22 AM.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good posts Aza and Fredi.

We underachieved this year and as Aza pointed out there is conflicting views coming from Beveridge and Power.
    There are clear indications that many members are frustrated with our on field performances and that will be something that the club needs to manage.

I've said before that I can't see why we'd consider moving Bains on and with 2 years to go on a contract Beveridge starts next season as the coach. Grant is starting to implement his vision for the footy department and we have to let play out to help judge if he hits the mark. Standing his ground on his mate Smith's departure despite Bevo wishes to keep him is a sign he's prepared to make the hard and emotional calls for the sake of the club. We will have a good idea by the end of October who's coming and staying and we should give him the chance to gets some new assistants and staff in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good posts Aza and Fredi.

We underachieved this year and as Aza pointed out there is conflicting views coming from Beveridge and Power.
    There are clear indications that many members are frustrated with our on field performances and that will be something that the club needs to manage.

I've said before that I can't see why we'd consider moving Bains on and with 2 years to go on a contract Beveridge starts next season as the coach. Grant is starting to implement his vision for the footy department and we have to let play out to help judge if he hits the mark. Standing his ground on his mate Smith's departure despite Bevo wishes to keep him is a sign he's prepared to make the hard and emotional calls for the sake of the club. We will have a good idea by the end of October who's coming and staying and we should give him the chance to gets some new assistants and staff in.
    You make some good points and despite myself saying a change is needed at the top happy now to go into next year with those at the top on notice. I still think you need to take into account the conditions the team trained in this year - they were not up to the standard a professional club needs to be at resulting in fitness issues and discontent amongst players. No excuses this year as they will have the best in the competition in the new year.

Post Thanks / Like

I am all for finding an excuse for bad performance like injuries, lack of experience etc but blaming training facilities is stretching it. Yes there would be some effect but let’s face it the players were not up to the task this year. The close games show we didn’t have the mental aptitude to get the job done. This has to change with players giving greater effort in tight situations.
    If they can’t then we need an injection of new players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.