Thanks Thanks:  94
Likes Likes:  364
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WOOF Update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving up footy, thus this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    However this site means a heck of a lot to me, and my lack of posting this year has not meant a lack of reading.
    As my circumstances have begun to positively change in the last month in particular I've really been looking forward to next season and getting more involved again.
    That point isn't lost on me, we have some exceptionally loyal and terrific members and I don't want to let down the people who have contributed so much to the discussions. With a dwindling participation rate though and a very clear message from many forum members that they only want to read the content on WOOF and are very unlikely to contribute to discussions going forward it's hard to ignore that feedback. We were never a news board but that's what people prefer and they can get that quicker on other social formats.

I'm exploring other options so all is not lost but I felt I should give the good folk here a heads up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That point isn't lost on me, we have some exceptionally loyal and terrific members and I don't want to let down the people who have contributed so much to the discussions. With a dwindling participation rate though and a very clear message from many forum members that they only want to read the content on WOOF and are very unlikely to contribute to discussions going forward it's hard to ignore that feedback. We were never a news board but that's what people prefer and they can get that quicker on other social formats.

I'm exploring other options so all is not lost but I felt I should give the good folk here a heads up.

Happy to help out in any way G.

Obviously I have no life so I'm here regularly, and it is literally the only place I go for Dogs discourse.

It is a real shame we can't get more new folk involved, other than the advertising space, it's been few and far between.

We've had a couple of great additions on the back of your training reports, however I'm not sure what point of difference we can offer that will attract more regulars.
    Game plan/match day analysis would attract me.

Let's all chip in and pay MJP to do a coaches report on each match!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Game plan/match day analysis would attract me.

Let's all chip in and pay MJP to do a coaches report on each match!
    What we can do is start the match day thread earlier in the week and have a weekly volunteer to write a match preview like we did previously.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Geez.

Sad times.

This site is my one way to TRY and stay connected.

The crew I met via BF helped me negotiate my move to Melbourne all those years ago AND went out of their way to make me welcome in person once I arrived. When WOOF started (post Tri-Colour) I moved here and have essentially never logged onto BF since.

I log in here every day - well, pretty much every day - and try to post...

I will support whatever decision you make mate and will forever be grateful for the work you have done. When you live in Perth and support the Bulldogs, well...it can be bleak. This place has always made me feel welcome and (just a little) less crazy.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Dogs 24/7, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What we can do is start the match day thread earlier in the week and have a weekly volunteer to write a match preview like we did previously.
    I'm happy to do a regular bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to hear but absolutely understand Gary, I'm another that has drifted away previously and needed a nudge from you to get back onboard. This site is everything for me regarding Bulldogs. The time, effort and funds you have put in are very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I initially joined Big Footy first back in 2011 and still have an account there same username Eastdog.

Joined WOOF in 2012 and like others have said really enjoy the discussions on different topics. I don’t contribute a whole lot during the week as much but have really enjoyed helping you Gary in creating weekly the Doggies game day threads and AFL round discussion threads.

The pre season reports are a great highlight in the off-season. Really love those reports from all woofers who go to watch training yourself Gary and Smads57.

Really hope you can keep the forum going in some capacity as it will be a sad day when WOOF closes.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I told the wife woof would might be closing town, she said you can just talk to me about. So I explained the nature of our current picks, list needs, why GCS would sell a top 4 pick, the bidding process and discount on Croft, and spots open needed for complying with bidding rules, plus maybe Lual slipping as an NGA and rookie upgrade/delist rules. And how moreover, that it was in fact really interesting especially when taken altogether.

She wants woof stay open Gary.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Thanks Scorlibo, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes Virgin-Dog, Dry Rot, GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So I told the wife woof would might be closing town, she said you can just talk to me about. So I explained the nature of our current picks, list needs, why GCS would sell a top 4 pick, the bidding process and discount on Croft, and spots open needed for complying with bidding rules, plus maybe Lual slipping as an NGA and rookie upgrade/delist rules. And how moreover, that it was in fact really interesting especially when taken altogether.

She wants woof stay open Gary.
    BT your wife has spoken… get it done … keep woof open !
    Bt without your insight in the trading strategies I would have no idea how it all works . Really appreciate you putting down these trading ideas .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    BT your wife has spoken… get it done … keep woof open !
    Bt without your insight in the trading strategies I would have no idea how it all works . Really appreciate you putting down these trading ideas .
    I’m happy someone wants to hear it! More so now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a relatively new blow-in and I don't post as often as I perhaps could, but I want to say that WOOF is the only football site I've joined. I check it every day and post when I think I've got something useful to say or an interesting question to ask. I really rate the quality of the posters and commentary here. I read other footy sites, but don't have accounts there and nor do I post.

I joined this place because the discussion was sensible, courteous, and broadly knowledgeable - and more importantly, when it indulged in speculation it was honest about it. That sort of intellectual honesty matters a lot to me.

I'm not on FB, Twitter, Insta... if this site shuts down I'll probably keep lurking on Big Footy, but I'd be surprised if I ever post. I got an account on Reddit briefly but I got drawn into the melee there and it wasn't good for my mental health, I think Big Footy's preference for the controversial and combative would end me.

To finish - I have run small internet communities before and I 100% understand the challenges you're facing. Low engagement, no matter how high quality, is a real drain on motivation, and eventually trying to find new members becomes a chore even if it is still a passion project. I won't try and talk you out of it because I respect the work you do and the fact that we obtain our enjoyment here from effort you donate for free. Thank you.

15. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I'm a relatively new blow-in and I don't post as often as I perhaps could, but I want to say that WOOF is the only football site I've joined. I check it every day and post when I think I've got something useful to say or an interesting question to ask. I really rate the quality of the posters and commentary here. I read other footy sites, but don't have accounts there and nor do I post.

I joined this place because the discussion was sensible, courteous, and broadly knowledgeable - and more importantly, when it indulged in speculation it was honest about it. That sort of intellectual honesty matters a lot to me.

I'm not on FB, Twitter, Insta... if this site shuts down I'll probably keep lurking on Big Footy, but I'd be surprised if I ever post. I got an account on Reddit briefly but I got drawn into the melee there and it wasn't good for my mental health, I think Big Footy's preference for the controversial and combative would end me.

To finish - I have run small internet communities before and I 100% understand the challenges you're facing. Low engagement, no matter how high quality, is a real drain on motivation, and eventually trying to find new members becomes a chore even if it is still a passion project. I won't try and talk you out of it because I respect the work you do and the fact that we obtain our enjoyment here from effort you donate for free. Thank you.
    Brilliant boots. I'd say you've nailed my sentiment exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in the UK for 5 years a while back, this site was all I had to keep up to date with footy, outside of some dodgy web downloads of games after they'd already happened. I never really had anything to add so didn't post that much.

Living in Brisbane, I find this community so valuable to my engagement with the team and the club. I don't see how I could be as passionate about the Doggies if it wasn't for Woof. I know memberships etc are a volume game, but this site surely adds to the WB bottom line through keeping some engaged that might have otherwise fallen off in the past couple of years.

I've appreciated every post from everyone over the years. It's been a wonderful community to be part of. If it has to end now, it's had a good run and Gary, your efforts have made the world a better place! Thank you!

I dunno what I'll do. I'm sure I'll try BF again. Might create a new handle. "WishIWasPostingOnWoofButThisWillHaveToDo".

18. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll always have winning the 2022 Rocco Jones Norm Smith Medal Random-Coz-He-Made-It-Up-As-He-Went-Along-Sweep...

This site has seen me through new jobs, a career change, the death of my bulldog loving dad, the birth of my kids and moving countries. I can't thank you enough GVG and all the regular posters for your contributions, this site is literally the only reason that I have something credible to say about the Bulldogs at any time.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I'll always have winning the 2022 Rocco Jones Norm Smith Medal Random-Coz-He-Made-It-Up-As-He-Went-Along-Sweep...

This site has seen me through new jobs, a career change, the death of my bulldog loving dad, the birth of my kids and moving countries. I can't thank you enough GVG and all the regular posters for your contributions, this site is literally the only reason that I have something credible to say about the Bulldogs at any time.
    Same.

In all seriousness though every poster on here would take a little nugget they learnt on woof and claim it as their own in the real world and you know what, that is how it should be!
    More of an In Bruges guy?