Thanks Thanks:  94
Likes Likes:  364
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WOOF Update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving up footy, thus this forum

I am in a What's App with Gary and I think he knows how he feels. Just want to extend it here. Such a great board to follow our club on. Gary is the god of all moderators.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I'll always have winning the 2022 Rocco Jones Norm Smith Medal Random-Coz-He-Made-It-Up-As-He-Went-Along-Sweep...

This site has seen me through new jobs, a career change, the death of my bulldog loving dad, the birth of my kids and moving countries. I can't thank you enough GVG and all the regular posters for your contributions, this site is literally the only reason that I have something credible to say about the Bulldogs at any time.
    Well DOTW this just ripped my guts out in the best way.

I'm a terrible footy pundit and don't offer much but stupid jokes but I adore this site and the people on it, even SSGG. It's literally the only football related site I use. I would be gutted if it was gone.

Especially if it disappeared before we ever got a contract thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    The so-called "Contract Thread" reminds me of this story:

A philosophy professor walks in to give his class their final exam.
    Placing his chair on his desk the professor instructs the class, "Using every applicable thing you've learned in this course, prove to me that this chair DOES NOT EXIST."

So, pencils are writing and erasers are erasing, students are preparing to embark on novels proving that this chair doesn't exist, except for one student. He spends thirty seconds writing his answer, then turns his final in to the astonishment of his peers.

Time goes by, and the day comes when all the students get their final grades...and to the amazement of the class, the student who wrote for thirty seconds gets the highest grade in the class.

His answer to the question: "What chair?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Well DOTW this just ripped my guts out in the best way.

I'm a terrible footy pundit and don't offer much but stupid jokes but I adore this site and the people on it, even SSGG. It's literally the only football related site I use. I would be gutted if it was gone.

Maybe a mutiny is in order? The power's gone to his head!

Of course I kid and fully support G.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it would be areal shame if the site closed down, there are many great contributors, some great banter, some funny jokes and all Bulldog talk without having a go at each other.

What I don't understand is the logistics behind the site. Is there a money issue to run it, is it the time it takes, what is the concern if there aren't too many members, contributors?

We await to see GVGjr's decision.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

GVG, perhaps we are bound to be a small close knit community that welcomes new people when they stumble upon us. It's obvious this forum means a lot to many who post here.

Even if we can't attract larger numbers of contributors, what will it take to keep the forum going? PM if necessary.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    it would be areal shame if the site closed down, there are many great contributors, some great banter, some funny jokes and all Bulldog talk without having a go at each other.

What I don't understand is the logistics behind the site. Is there a money issue to run it, is it the time it takes, what is the concern if there aren't too many members, contributors?

We await to see GVGjr's decision.
    I also like that it is kind of boutique. I don’t think there is a lack of interaction or differing views because of the relatively small size. But I also appreciate it can be kind of disheartening too and not reward for effort, perhaps? Will always appreciate though, what a community it has provided, after a bad loss it’s cathartic, the views on what we could do better are always thoughtful and insightful …even though I’ve never understood a single bit of BT’s points and draft analysis I particularly remember what a refuge this place was in Shocktober. Thank you GVG however you decide.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    GVG, perhaps we are bound to be a small close knit community that welcomes new people when they stumble upon us. It's obvious this forum means a lot to many who post here.

Even if we can't attract larger numbers of contributors, what will it take to keep the forum going? PM if necessary.
    Thanks Doc, I've been more than comfortable with WOOF being more of a niche Bulldogs focus forum than a high volume one for a long while now. That's not what's behind why I'm having a rethink.
    There were times through the season where all we could muster for the WOOF player awards were 9 or 10 members willing to cast their votes.
    When a 100 members are logging on most days during the season and only 10% of them can bring themselves to contribute to a traditional thread you can see the motivation isn't where it once was.
    That and reaching out to 20 of the quieter members where some didn't respond and those that did were pretty steadfast in that they just want to be readers not contributors to the forum going forward so doesn't doesn't paint a positive future.

I still really enjoy talking all things footy with Bulldogs supporters so it's not an easy decision but I'd also don't want to see a prolonged deterioration of participation levels that gets to the point where our best contributors are only logging on once a day because there isn't much to read. My gut feel tells me that most members have moved on from discussions and only want to read snippets of information on easier social platforms than having to put in a bit of effort into a discussion.

I've got some other options to consider and all is not lost.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've got some other options to consider and all is not lost.

Post Thanks / Like

To my untrained eye the participation seems similar to when I joined but that's purely gut feel.

I don't participate in the voting as it's not really my thing but also I don't see as many games as I used to. I will certainly make an effort to contribute if it helps though.

The current participation and contribution level is still enough for my liking. I do understand the point of view of not wanting to see it deteriorate though.

Post Thanks / Like

The best part of woof is you don?t get all the other noise and general crap that twitter (& other social media) manages to generate.

I for one hope woof continues in some form that is accessible. I?m not apart of non woof member activities as I don?t know anyone personally and that?s ok, but damn no ?woofer? as my better half coined it will leave a hole in my day to day life.

TCD told me when I first joined woof evolved out of the big footy revolt (I guess like Kerry Parker World Series cricket), I?d never logged onto bigfooty so I didn?t quite understand what he meant, until I did.

Shit, it isn?t even just the footy talk, it?s finding new tv shows, new music, the banter.

GVGjr what ever you decide make sure it is the right decision for you and whatever it is I?m sure no one will say NETS.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

What a great site this is and it is a source of all information for me, especially as I don’t live in an AFL dominated state. I love reading all the posts and banter and the source of knowledge of our posters is incredible. Would love to see the site continue for many a year and thank you, Gary, for all that you have done to keep the site going for all these years. Hopefully it does continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks to all WOOF members who have taken the time to either ready or respond to my post about the forum's future.
    In particular I want to call out the contributions from the likes of YHF, BT, MJP, GG, Soup, Eastdog, Hotdog60, Angelo, Aza, Topdog, Boots, MrMahatma, Rocco, EW, BAD, The Doc, Bulldog tragician, BT&T and WTLF (and apologies if I have missed anyone else)
    You have all made a terrific contributions to discussions over a long, long time and it's been very much appreciated.

Thought I should add some more detail to what I mentioned while on the train trip to Bendigo on Sunday.

It's definitely not a financial decision, the site is hosted for less than a dollar a day and I get a lot more enjoyment from it than that. In fact in this day and age of spiraling costs I'd rate it as a good value for money deal given the entertainment and enjoyment I and hopefully many others receive.

It just comes down to participation levels from the forum members. Many of WOOF members have reached out and it's really appreciated. I liken the decision as one about when people start to consider trading in the loyal family truckster and working out if it has a few more services in it or do you cut your losses before it eventually stops running.

A lot of WOOF members haven't read this yet despite logging on so I might copy it over to it's own thread.

I've got a few options I'm reviewing which includes keeping the site open so at this stage all is not lost.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks Dogs 24/7 thanked for this post
    Likes angelopetraglia, ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Many thanks to all WOOF members who have taken the time to either ready or respond to my post about the forum's future.
    In particular I want to call out the contributions from the likes of YHF, BT, MJP, GG, Soup, Eastdog, Hotdog60, Angelo, Aza, Topdog, Boots, MrMahatma, Rocco, EW, BAD, The Doc, Bulldog tragician, BT&T and WTLF (and apologies if I have missed anyone else)
    You have all made a terrific contributions to discussions over a long, long time and it's been very much appreciated.

Thought I should add some more detail to what I mentioned while on the train trip to Bendigo on Sunday.

It's definitely not a financial decision, the site is hosted for less than a dollar a day and I get a lot more enjoyment from it than that. In fact in this day and age of spiraling costs I'd rate it as a good value for money deal given the entertainment and enjoyment I and hopefully many others receive.

It just comes down to participation levels from the forum members. Many of WOOF members have reached out and it's really appreciated. I liken the decision as one about when people start to consider trading in the loyal family truckster and working out if it has a few more services in it or do you cut your losses before it eventually stops running.

A lot of WOOF members haven't read this yet despite logging on so I might copy it over to it's own thread.

I've got a few options I'm reviewing which includes keeping the site open so at this stage all is not lost.
    Thanks Gary
    We certainly appreciate your efforts and while nothing lasts forever I sincerely hope we can keep operating in some form
    I have had a few personal challenges particularly in relation to available time, but WOOF has given me somewhere to go even when I only have time for a quick read.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

19. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we start a membership drive?

I don’t know too many other dogs fans not on this site. And I’ve told those I do know about it, but maybe it’s time to get more persistent!?

21. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post