Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

Seniors v reserves

In the last 20 years I have noticed a trend between reserves and senior teams as far as premierships go.
    When the AFL team is winning flags so are the VFL .
    It?s lead me to watching the VFL team and who is coming up to try and pick the next team to come up .
    It?s actually a very good guide .
    Gold Coast reserves are well above the rest so I see the senior side playing finals next year
    Hawthorn, Carlton and Nth are starting the improve.
    Bombers aren?t going anywhere still.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seniors v reserves

That might be down to a correlation between injury lists, fewer injuries mean a team has more AFL listed players in the seconds
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That might be down to a correlation between injury lists, fewer injuries mean a team has more AFL listed players in the seconds
    There is certainly something in that.

Footscray were awful early in 23 but were only fielding 5 to 6 AFL listed players.

When players were back they got on a real roll.

The concept of depth has some merit, but Gold Coast also have the largest list so more full time footballers in their VFL side.

While Footscray recovered really well we continually lamented the lack of depth for the senior team.

Some players are just good at the lower level but their deficiencies are exposed at the top level.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes macca, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rebuilding teams tend to have younger lists and a team full of kids doesn't tend to do well in the VFL against more senior bodies.

Teams in contention usually have more mature depth that are often amongst the top players in the second tier.

Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough, my Facebook memories today are splattered with us all revelling in the 2014 VFL flag.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Funnily enough, my Facebook memories today are splattered with us all revelling in the 2014 VFL flag.
    I bought the t shirt

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Some players are just good at the lower level but their deficiencies are exposed at the top level.

Sometimes the opposite is true too. Players can reach a level they are comfortable with at the lower level. Without the opportunity to go to a higher level to further challenge themselves can start to go backwards
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Gee that was a great day. The man hug when Howard kicked the sealer was next level.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gee that was a great day. The man hug when Howard kicked the sealer was next level.
    It was Jones' long bomb that brought it the man hug.

I remember it well because it's still one of my favourite football memories. Your father under one arm and your child under the other.

15. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dominance of Bont and Libba in the Brownlow count for the WB simply highlighted our lack of depth in our list, with both a mediocre attack and apart from Liam Jones we lacked other quality tall defenders. The standard of VFL football is no where like AFL
    football highlighted by Werribee making its Grand final without a AFL presence.
    Having said that I felt that both Khamis and Sweet were unlucky not to play more AFL games and it will be interesting to see how Sweet performs at Port Adelaide. Let’s hope that Lipinski is selected for Collingwood and does well in the Grand Final.

17. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair effort from the Bee's and nice to see a non-affiliated western suburbs club make a GF.

It is a big step up and the gulf will continue to widen with Tassie coming into the league and more top level dilution.

19. Likes josie liked this post