Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  80
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick 4 - what's the right price?

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    10 and 17 for 4, or forget it.
    Do you then just let 17 (or possibly even 10!) get swallowed up by a Croft bid? If we don't get pick 4, we will have to be pretty creative...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Do you then just let 17 (or possibly even 10!) get swallowed up by a Croft bid? If we don't get pick 4, we will have to be pretty creative...
    It's an interesting decision.

10 moves to pick 14 so if a bid comes in for Croft as early as 10 or 11 or 12 then matching with pick 14 covers that and we get Croft.
    We also have another pick in the 1st round and one late in the 2nd.

We don't get maximum value for the discount but we do get a long term key position prospect.

If Croft goes later we can use pick 17 that moves to 21 to cover that pick as well.

Moving up to 4 to put us in the mix for McKercher or Watson would be a strong position but the default option isn't that bad to me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If we need to throw in a F1 on top of pick 10 and 17, would Gold Coast be inclined to throw back their 2nd next year, and maybe some late picks either this or next year for points if they'renot going to use them?

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    If we need to throw in a F1 on top of pick 10 and 17, would Gold Coast be inclined to throw back their 2nd next year, and maybe some late picks either this or next year for points if they'renot going to use them?
    I don't think that's enough. Worst-case scenario and we've swapped pick 4-8 for 25-30. I think Gold Coast should rise up the ladder next year with Hardwick and we have to be realistic - on this year's evidence, we could sink further down the ladder.

I agree that we'd have to look at a good player as part of the deal - I don't watch much of the Suns but I think Ainsworth is a good shout. Would Will Powell be around the mark? Or Mac Andrew hasn't really seemed to settle up there either?

6. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I wonder if we got their f2, then look at some live trading during this year to re enter the draft once the Croft bid is done.

So for example we get pick 4(6), Croft and then trade in to 20-something. We do need an injection of quality youth this year imo.

I still don't love it, as 10+17+f1 doesn't equal 4 + 20 something in my eyes...

8. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the points values etc, but the problem is that points values don't necessarily equate to what the end player is. Bontempeli was pick 4. If we knew that pick 4 this year was Bontempelli v2. we would gladly toss in the F1 (and the F2, F3).

The thing is pick 4 has a much better chance of the player being a Bont/Naughts/Smith than say a McLean/Dale/Daniel

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I get the points values etc, but the problem is that points values don't necessarily equate to what the end player is. Bontempeli was pick 4. If we knew that pick 4 this year was Bontempelli v2. we would gladly toss in the F1 (and the F2, F3).

The thing is pick 4 has a much better chance of the player being a Bont/Naughts/Smith than say a McLean/Dale/Daniel
    The other part of the equation is that pick 4 isnt actually going to land us the 4th pick in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    The other part of the equation is that pick 4 isnt actually going to land us the 4th pick in the draft.
    Pick 4 might move to pick 5 but it comes down to how we rate players and what is realistic.

Reid, Curtin, Walter and Duursma look like the early pick scenario with only a slight chance that Duursma slides.
    We are probably keen to get Watson with McKercher our default selection if we can land pick 4.

The problem is our 2 first rounders won't be sufficient in a draft loaded with academy players that will receive bids and we will to use a future 1st rounder in some form to achieve that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

SEN 1116
    @1116sen
    ?
    1m
    "There's a clear front-runner now, and it's the Western Bulldogs."

- Tom Morris on the race for Gold Coast's Pick 4

14. Thanks Grantysghost, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

This year, pick 4 may not be the midfielder we have said we're after.
    It slides back to pick 6 and it's perhaps in Sanders' range. Unless we take a hail mary on a late bolter like Edwards
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes SquirrelGrip, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    SEN 1116
    @1116sen
    ?
    1m
    "There's a clear front-runner now, and it's the Western Bulldogs."

- Tom Morris on the race for Gold Coast's Pick 4
    Thanks B4L this has me concerned in a way knowing some of the other teams' hand is better than ours this year.
    Yikes. Future first might be on the table as speculated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Thanks B4L this has me concerned in a way knowing some of the other teams' hand is better than ours this year.
    Yikes. Future first might be on the table as speculated.
    Personally I hope not Gg but won't judge until I see the full machinations.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Personally I hope not Gg but won't judge until I see the full machinations.
    Wait, you're not supposed to be so sensible you're supposed to panic like the rest of us xD

Wise words mate.

21. Likes Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast’s pick 4

“There’s a clear front-runner now and it’s the Western Bulldogs. They’ve got picks 10, 17 and 36, which gives the Gold Coast Suns what they want.

“This doesn’t mean that Melbourne or Adelaide or any other club is completely out of it, but I do think it is the Dogs’ to lose now and I think there’s an acknowledgement from the Suns that the Dogs are the frontrunners, too.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/...-period-names/

No talk of our first pick next year.

23. Thanks josie, lemmon, azabob, chef, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In regards to North Melbourne's assistance package, Morris stated that Laura Kane is recommending to commission that they get a late first round selection in 23 and 24 and also a second round selection in 24 in which they can use to trade as they like.

North have asked for Pick 3 but Hodge was speculating that if they get the picks above you can lock in a pick 3 compensation for Mckay.
    Last edited by kruder; 23-09-2023 at 09:33 PM.

25. Likes GVGjr liked this post