Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Much Improvement is Left in Jamarra?

I think 4 years at a rate slightly above his current market rate would be far - allows for the expected improvement, and might mean we are overpaying him next year, but will hopefully mean we are getting him for 'unders' in the final couple of years of the contract.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A contract taking him to free agency would be 4 years if my calculations are correct. If that's what he and his agent wanted I suspect the club couldn't sign quick enough.
    It's amazing how you're able to coherently talk about tenure and prospective player contracts when all you do around here is ramble about non-existent threads of the same topic.

You're so good at it that I agree with you.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

JUH getting back to basics with his goal kicking technique (not twisting his lower body to compensate for leaning off to the left) lands him at 40-45 goals without any substantial improvement in his game.

If he was silly enough to sign of for more than four years I'd do it immediately.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Super impressed with his marking this season and at times there were shades of the great Kelvin Templeton in some games.
    If we can get a decent improvement with his goal kicking next season as Jee highlights and getting him to kick the ball with the laces facing forward on some of those set shots then 45 goals plus is a real chance.

We lost a few games by close margins and if Naughty, JUH, Lobb and Weightman all just make a slight improvement it will go a long way towards returning to the finals in 2024.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Super impressed with his marking this season and at times there were shades of the great Kelvin Templeton in some games.
    If we can get a decent improvement with his goal kicking next season as Jee highlights and getting him to kick the ball with the laces facing forward on some of those set shots then 45 goals plus is a real chance.

We lost a few games by close margins and if Naughty, JUH, Lobb and Weightman all just make a slight improvement it will go a long way towards returning to the finals in 2024.
    45 should be doable for him. He had 70 scoring shots this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Doable.jpg
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For all the flack Naughton cops about his goal kicking, compare the pair:

44.33 from 88 shots at 50%

35.35 from 93 shots at 37.6%

No prizes for guessing who's who.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the main argument for perhaps why we won’t fall down the ladder before rising. If these guys can finally fix this aspect and become 55 goal a season forwards, there’s an extra 31 goals a season which is massive. Then if they can, Lobb/Darcy simply have to slaughter the third defender better than 20 odd goals a season too. If Weightman, Clarke & maybe Watson can all make the grade, then there’s great scope.

Mind you, crap entries, Smith missing 9 out of 10 I50’s and kicking to forwards advantage is a massive part of it too.

The quickest improvement to this side is poise by those kicking it forward and the big boys kicking straight. Surely a goal kicking coach is priority number one. We don’t need to trade players or picks to improve our forward line. Just get these guys with routines that can score more goals than they miss. A media release to this effect would be better than some random trade request.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you get this kind of stat from?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Where do you get this kind of stat from?
    The AFL website. It would be great to have set shot stats too but not sure where to find those.

Post Thanks / Like

Two craps don't make a not crap. (yes I've lost myself now).

Marra in his third season so hopefully it trends up soon as he gets fitter ans stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Two craps don't make a not crap. (yes I've lost myself now).

Marra in his third season so hopefully it trends up soon as he gets fitter ans stronger.
    I know you like to defend Marra, and for good reason, but I'm tired of all the crap Naughton gets for his goal kicking.

Could it be better, absolutely but I maintain it's not as bad as almost everybody seems to make out. I'm not sure why he is so harshly judged when his accuracy is only marginally below most key forwards.

In Naughton's second season (which was his first as a forward since perhaps very junior footy?) he went at just under 50%. He has never put up numbers like Marra has, yet Marra escapes much of the flak Naughton cops.

Marra has really obvious technical flaws which have been pointed out. I hope someone is working with him to correct these as it's just so frustrating to watch. Naughton on the other hand is working with what he's got and I feel he only has a small improvement in his accuracy in him. Marra has all the talent in the world and could do a Charlie Curnow and massively increase his accuracy. Hopefully we see some signs of it in 2024.

17. Likes bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you like to defend Marra, and for good reason, but I'm tired of all the crap Naughton gets for his goal kicking.

Could it be better, absolutely but I maintain it's not as bad as almost everybody seems to make out. I'm not sure why he is so harshly judged when his accuracy is only marginally below most key forwards.

In Naughton's second season (which was his first as a forward since perhaps very junior footy?) he went at just under 50%. He has never put up numbers like Marra has, yet Marra escapes much of the flak Naughton cops.

Marra has really obvious technical flaws which have been pointed out. I hope someone is working with him to correct these as it's just so frustrating to watch. Naughton on the other hand is working with what he's got and I feel he only has a small improvement in his accuracy in him. Marra has all the talent in the world and could do a Charlie Curnow and massively increase his accuracy. Hopefully we see some signs of it in 2024.
    Hey I said two craps

Naughton has a terrible action, I think that's where most of it stems from; he's actually a poor kick for league standards.

Jamarra is a good kick around the ground. His set shot routine needs work for sure.

I feel with Naughton this is what you get, and you make an interesting point how statistically he measure up ok so maybe people just comment on the action rather than the result.

Marra I believe will tidy his up and pass Naughts for accuracy by the end of their careers.

Post Thanks / Like

Marra just needs to get back to what he used to do. He was a beautiful kick for goal as a junior. I’m not sure what’s happened, but he has the capacity to be a very good shot.

Max King has turned it around this year, so perhaps it’s a matter of getting used to the big league and everything that comes with it, then hopefully falling back into good habits with experience. Hopefully.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton's overall numbers look okay but he misses too many very easy shots (posters from 25m in front) and could/should be better. He gets some great looks at goal because he's such a great contested mark and less reliant on hit ups that mean you sometimes are kicking from the pocket or 45m on an angle.

That said MJP made a great point about his forward pressure so you can't deny he brings a lot to the team even if he misses some he should kick. If he gets a little cleaner on that front he's a regular feature in the top 5 goalkickers for sure and easily one of the best key forwards in the game with a unique skillset.