Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm breaking a tradition of mine on Saturday

Ever since we lost the 2008 prelim, I've found it difficult to get into the AFL Grand Final as anything but an interested neutral.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Grand Final. I love the build up, I love the match, I love the aftermath.

But anything not involving the Bulldogs? I've never bought into the notion of picking a team to barrack for on the day.

This year is different.

I'll be devastated if Brisbane don't win.

Not because I dislike Collingwood. I don't actually dislike Collingwood. I'm normally completely indifferent to them. And I actually like Craig McRae and what he's getting out of his team. They were minor premiers for a reason.

I want Brisbane to win because I like Chris Fagan. He's living proof that the attitude that some in the industry hold towards those who've "never played the have at the highest level" is horseshit.

I want Brisbane to win because Daniel Rich deserves to go out with a celebration, even if he doesn't play. If anyone deserves a "Bob Murphy" moment it's Daniel Rich.

I want Brisbane to win because this might be Neale Daniher's last Grand Final. We don't know how long he has left. We do know the unbridled joy it would bring him to see his nephew have a premiership medal draped around his neck.

I want Brisbane to win because, with a few exceptions, anyone who has served our club well continues to have my best wishes. Josh Dunkley is a Building premiership hero. I'd be genuinely happy to see him be a Lions premiership hero.

I want Brisbane to win because Charlie Cameron is one of my favourite non-Bulldogs.

So, for one day only, I'm allowing myself to have a "second team".

Go the Lions.

2. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, azabob, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm breaking a tradition of mine on Saturday

I’m going on Saturday and will be cheering for the Lions too. Like you, I actually rate and enjoy watching the 2023 edition of the Collingwood side, however Brisbane have been around the mark for a few years now without quite getting there and I’d like to see them win it. Collingwood will be up for a while longer yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I want Lipinski to have a Premiership medal and not Dunks. I'm hoping the Pies win. Best team all year.

5. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Ever since we lost the 2008 prelim, I've found it difficult to get into the AFL Grand Final as anything but an interested neutral.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Grand Final. I love the build up, I love the match, I love the aftermath.

But anything not involving the Bulldogs? I've never bought into the notion of picking a team to barrack for on the day.

This year is different.

I'll be devastated if Brisbane don't win.

Not because I dislike Collingwood. I don't actually dislike Collingwood. I'm normally completely indifferent to them. And I actually like Craig McRae and what he's getting out of his team. They were minor premiers for a reason.

I want Brisbane to win because I like Chris Fagan. He's living proof that the attitude that some in the industry hold towards those who've "never played the have at the highest level" is horseshit.

I want Brisbane to win because Daniel Rich deserves to go out with a celebration, even if he doesn't play. If anyone deserves a "Bob Murphy" moment it's Daniel Rich.

I want Brisbane to win because this might be Neale Daniher's last Grand Final. We don't know how long he has left. We do know the unbridled joy it would bring him to see his nephew have a premiership medal draped around his neck.

I want Brisbane to win because, with a few exceptions, anyone who has served our club well continues to have my best wishes. Josh Dunkley is a Building premiership hero. I'd be genuinely happy to see him be a Lions premiership hero.

I want Brisbane to win because Charlie Cameron is one of my favourite non-Bulldogs.

So, for one day only, I'm allowing myself to have a "second team".

Go the Lions.
    Is that you GG?

7. Likes Grantysghost, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pretty close connection to one Brisbane player in particular but can't get there with you mate.

Hope for a close game that keeps in interesting...the outcome to me right now is a big ZERO. Do. Not. Care.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am staying neutral for this game, and would be happy if either win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Go Lions. I watch a lot of them and have some very close friends (and my dad) who are fans. Go get em Lions!

I’m flying down for it. But don’t have a ticket. Slight detail I missed!

12. Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always watch the Grand Final … year in/year out. I have never missed one since the mid 70s. It’s always a big affair at my home. The four’n’twentys are purchased and in the pie warmer. The VB on ice. It’s the one thing that I truly miss since moving to WA (nearly 30 years ago).

But now I’m going to show my pettiness. I want Collingwood to win so Dunkley doesn’t. I know … immature and childish, but hey.
    WOOF Member 422

14. Likes josie, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going ice skating.

May it be a brutal match, full of controversy and take such a toll on both teams they struggle to back up next season.

Go Pies.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

16. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post

But now I’m going to show my pettiness. I want Collingwood to win so Dunkley doesn’t. I know … immature and childish, but hey.

I'm with you 100% on that one.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Scraggers, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Go Lions. I watch a lot of them and have some very close friends (and my dad) who are fans. Go get em Lions!

I’m flying down for it. But don’t have a ticket. Slight detail I missed!
    Got a ticket!
    Go Lions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Got a ticket!
    Go Lions!
    Well done, how did you manage that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking it super easy.

Previously GF days have been big days and I just can't be bothered this year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Living proof you don't need AFL experience to discriminate against Aboriginal people and treat them horribly. Huzzah I say

23. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the Collingwood bandwagon for a number of reasons...

Collingwood were the only club to join the fight against the AFL and Fitzroy in 1989 when the Lions tried to put us out of existence.
    Collingwood's AFLW team / players have a close relationship with my daughter's WRFL club.
    Some of the Collingwood players and staff have become good friends with my family because of the above.
    A lot of my mates are Collingwood members, and they jumped on the Bulldog bandwagon in 2016.
    Footscray member since 1980.

25. Likes Grantysghost, josie, azabob liked this post