Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm breaking a tradition of mine on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Ever since we lost the 2008 prelim, I've found it difficult to get into the AFL Grand Final as anything but an interested neutral.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Grand Final. I love the build up, I love the match, I love the aftermath.

But anything not involving the Bulldogs? I've never bought into the notion of picking a team to barrack for on the day.

This year is different.

I'll be devastated if Brisbane don't win.

Not because I dislike Collingwood. I don't actually dislike Collingwood. I'm normally completely indifferent to them. And I actually like Craig McRae and what he's getting out of his team. They were minor premiers for a reason.

I want Brisbane to win because I like Chris Fagan. He's living proof that the attitude that some in the industry hold towards those who've "never played the have at the highest level" is horseshit.

I want Brisbane to win because Daniel Rich deserves to go out with a celebration, even if he doesn't play. If anyone deserves a "Bob Murphy" moment it's Daniel Rich.

I want Brisbane to win because this might be Neale Daniher's last Grand Final. We don't know how long he has left. We do know the unbridled joy it would bring him to see his nephew have a premiership medal draped around his neck.

I want Brisbane to win because, with a few exceptions, anyone who has served our club well continues to have my best wishes. Josh Dunkley is a Building premiership hero. I'd be genuinely happy to see him be a Lions premiership hero.

I want Brisbane to win because Charlie Cameron is one of my favourite non-Bulldogs.

So, for one day only, I'm allowing myself to have a "second team".

Go the Lions.
    Brisbane sucks big ones and as far as I'm concerned the jury is out on Fagan and his past actions at the Hawthorn footy club. Couldn't give a crap about the team or him. Can't say I want Dosh Junkley getting another Premiership either to be honest I don't mind the Pies or Fly for that matter rather them over the Lions, Cats, Demons, Blues or Bombers.

So yeah, Brisbane sucks
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Brisbane sucks big ones and as far as I'm concerned the jury is out on Fagan and his past actions at the Hawthorn footy club. Couldn't give a crap about the team or him. Can't say I want Dosh Junkley getting another Premiership either to be honest I don't mind the Pies or Fly for that matter rather them over the Lions, Cats, Demons, Blues or Bombers.
    Add to that the lip service given to the Fitzroy heritage.
    How annoyed must the Roy's fans be watching North getting propped up the way they are.

I was hoping they might wear the Roy's top in the GF.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Add to that the lip service given to the Fitzroy heritage.
    How annoyed must the Roy's fans be watching North getting propped up the way they are.

I was hoping they might wear the Roy's top in the GF.
    They're trying to turn themselves into a dyed in the wool football club. I ain't feeling it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So yeah, Brisbane sucks
    Until you started with the "I don't mind the pies" stuff I was nodding my head in furious agreement.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Until you started with the "I don't mind the pies" stuff I was nodding my head in furious agreement.
    My shrink said it's not good for me to hate every footy club.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My shrink said it's not good for me to hate every footy club.
    17 will do, 18 when Tassie enters comp.

Yeah, you have to have a few meh sides, for example the ones you think are largely irrelevant until they come good.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Lions.

Sometimes footy is about having fun and enjoying the spectacle of the sport and the fact that, in reality, it?s entertainment? not life and death.

Hope it?s a great match. On Sunday all teams are eyeing off 2024 and they?re all equal.

14. Likes Go_Dogs, DOG GOD, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nil - Nil until the 28minute mark of the last quarter and all the goalposts miraculously catch fire and the game is abandoned.

16. Likes DOG GOD, EasternWest, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Do I want Dunkley or lipinski to have a premiership medal?
    Which team has players I loathe the most ?
    I can’t fathom seeing Peter daicos 50 times on TV every time his sons have a wank.

I feel I’m going for Bris.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Hmmm. Do I want Dunkley or lipinski to have a premiership medal?
    Which team has players I loathe the most ?
    I can’t fathom seeing Peter daicos 50 times on TV every time his sons have a wank.

I feel I’m going for Bris.
    And you think yourself to be a blunt instrument........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I?m definitely on the Brisbane wagon for this. At the start of the finals there were only three I could stomach- Saints, Brisbane and?gulp?GWS.

GWS came as a surprise- I guess the visions of what he did to Bont and Dahlhaus?s faces are far enough away.

I think it is carved in my DNA that I have to go for the underdogs. Growing up a Centrals and Fitzroy + Footscray fan as a kid will do that to you.

Part of me likes to see the Lions get success for all the Fitzroy fans that did manage to buy in. Some flags every twenty or so years is the least they deserve after losing their club.

*Fwiw I couldn?t buy in at all on the merger. I was young, but could still recognise it for what it really was. My dad and I always supported both Fitzroy (first) and Footscray, so we both just poured undivided attention into the dogs. I think that made it easier to be angry and turn my back completely on the situation I guess.

*EDIT: I have no idea why my commas when posting from my phone are replaced by question marks. Apologies for that.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 01-10-2023 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lions for me today. Too many dark memories of playing against the pies. Just hope it's a' last man standing' affair. And the commentators shut up especially Brayshaw. And the welcome to country is respected. Go Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping the Pies win as my Brother is a Pies fan.

Hoping for a great match and that the might Dogs will be there in 2024 having a shot for glory.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I always watch the Grand Final ? year in/year out. I have never missed one since the mid 70s. It?s always a big affair at my home. The four?n?twentys are purchased and in the pie warmer. The VB on ice. It?s the one thing that I truly miss since moving to WA (nearly 30 years ago).

But now I?m going to show my pettiness. I want Collingwood to win so Dunkley doesn?t. I know ? immature and childish, but hey.
    Immature and childish … but suck $h!+ Dunkley
    WOOF Member 422

24. Likes bornadog, josie, hujsh, jeemak, 1eyedog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Immature and childish … but suck $h!+ Dunkley
    That is the only good thing about a Collingwood win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.