Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can we take from Collingwood?s success?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    i did say new personnel does help but so does a good work environment.
    Yeah. But a new coach is the the thing both rejuvenated clubs have in quickly turning things around. Something we won’t do. I remain to be convinced an updated building changes our fortunes around quickly, or at all.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collingwood 2023 Premiership Team - How it was built?

Pies have depth :
    -replace injured players: McStay , Adams
    - cant get a game : Noble, Johnson, Bianco , mcRae
    - back their players to fill a hole when likes of Grundy leave.

All the above mentioned. Its their players , fullfilling their roles with agression and not lose a contest . Its the sum of all parts contributing. Any player not team focused gets the chop even Salary cap wise.
    They are clean with pickup , fantastic second efforts and just run all day and chase .
    Their coaching team and medics can also take alot of credit
    Last edited by macca; 02-10-2023 at 09:17 AM.

3. Likes josie, angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood play a brave style of footy. Fortune favours the brave they say, so we get no favours. Hoping Bevo decides maybe we should be brave like we were in 2016 & like Collingwood. Take the game on & be brave, the players will come with you.

5. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Crisp came from Brisbane as part of the Dayne Beams trade.

7. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Jack Crisp came from Brisbane as part of the Dayne Beams trade.
    Thanks, updated. That is an incredible 39% of their team that was traded in which really does highlight how important trading has become in the modern era.

Post Thanks / Like

For me I keep going back to one word.

Belief.

Belief in the leaders.
    Belief in the game plan.
    Belief in your team mates.

The Pies list is middling. Talent only gets you so far, the rest as 2016 showed us is belief and execution.

My sense with the current Bulldogs side is it feels factional.
    Age disparity could be one reason, there's a crop of older guys like Macrae, Treloar, Bont, Crozier, Duryea, Keath who seem like different types to the next biggest cohort of under 23s : Naughton, Marra, Smith, West etc.

Dunkley and Lipinski were probably the bridge/conduit in a way.

If the players no longer believe in the coaches and each other fully then all I can see is more sub par performances.
    If we can somehow recapture that lightning with an injection of talent, coaching and playing, a huge pre season, and a great start to 24 on field it may just happen.
    At this point I am still a Bevo believer however ask me at round 5 next season.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Bevo like Macrae is now was also the Golden Child of the AFL media after the 2015/2016 seasons.

We had a team that most people enjoyed watching and admired. He turned our team around much like Macrae has done in a short amount of time.

It can quickly change. People will go back to hating the Pies and their arrogance shortly. A few of their players will be older and maybe not have the same hunger. Then the press will come for them. They will be the hunted. In saying that they will probably handle the successs much better than we did.

12. Likes Grantysghost, angelopetraglia, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Don't forget Bevo like Macrae is now was also the Golden Child of the AFL media after the 2015/2016 seasons.

We had a team that most people enjoyed watching and admired. He turned our team around much like Macrae has done in a short amount of time.

It can quickly change. People will go back to hating the Pies and their arrogance shortly. A few of their players will be older and maybe not have the same hunger. Then the press will come for them. They will be the hunted. In saying that they will probably handle the successs much better than we did.
    They have not gone back to back since 1935/36. They probably should have done it in 2011 but Geelong had their measure that year (the only team they lost to incredibly). 1991 They partied that hard after the drought breaker they were zero chance (a bit like us in 2016).

It will be fascinating to see if they can back it up. They have not been a dominant team that they can win games in second gear, they have got absolutely everything out of themselves and won so many close games. They also have five less weeks of preseason than teams like us. Hopefully we can make those five weeks count.

14. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    For me I keep going back to one word.

Belief.

Belief in the leaders.
    Belief in the game plan.
    Belief in your team mates.

The Pies list is middling. Talent only gets you so far, the rest as 2016 showed us is belief and execution.

My sense with the current Bulldogs side is it feels factional.
    Age disparity could be one reason, there's a crop of older guys like Macrae, Treloar, Bont, Crozier, Duryea, Keath who seem like different types to the next biggest cohort of under 23s : Naughton, Marra, Smith, West etc.

Dunkley and Lipinski were probably the bridge/conduit in a way.

If the players no longer believe in the coaches and each other fully then all I can see is more sub par performances.
    If we can somehow recapture that lightning with an injection of talent, coaching and playing, a huge pre season, and a great start to 24 on field it may just happen.
    At this point I am still a Bevo believer however ask me at round 5 next season.
    The consistent theme throughout Collingwoods Finals campaign was how they had a simple game plan and they stuck to it.

No matter who had the ball or where they had it there was a player running to a spot 35 metres ahead at a 20 degree angle.

The distance meant the ball travelled quickly with little error. The small angle denied defending opponents time to get into position to compete. When the teammate received the ball they would pivot and quickly kick to the next. By then the momentum was established.

I would love to see that style of play at the Dogs. It would limit the turnovers and fix the poor linking between our zones.

16. Likes Sedat, bornadog, josie, macca liked this post