Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  119
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Star Dog in talks

"Which clubs were keen on him most? Collingwood had a nibble, Geelong were interested, West Coast were interested. The Sydney Swans were interested, and my information is that the Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years."

- Tom Morris on the interest for Aaron Naughton

Post Thanks / Like

“And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

“It was put to me that it was $12 million and I’ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

“It would have been (the biggest contract ever).”

-Tom Morris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    "Which clubs were keen on him most? Collingwood had a nibble, Geelong were interested, West Coast were interested. The Sydney Swans were interested, and my information is that the Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years."

- Tom Morris on the interest for Aaron Naughton
    ?And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

?It was put to me that it was $12 million and I?ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

?It would have been (the biggest contract ever).?

-Tom Morris
    Someone on BF (yes it's that time of year) disputed the number posted earlier and suggested 1.125 as the average or 9 over the 8 years. No idea if they're reliable or 'in the know' but maybe Mofra does.

It was before this Tom Morris bit of info and is roughly in line with it so seems somewhat accurate

Post Thanks / Like

Cornes already lost his mind over it.

Reckons JUH has already passed him and thus, isn't worth the money.

Watches our games closely I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Cornes already lost his mind over it.

Reckons JUH has already passed him and thus, isn't worth the money.

Watches our games closely I guess.
    Just remember, he is always in characther and playing the heel. He also has a few themes he always run hard at that are key parts of his character. Long contracts is just one of them.

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Charlie Curnow's new six-year contract extension."

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Eric Hipwood's six-year contract extension with Brisbane."

8. Likes jeemak, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Charlie Curnow's new six-year contract extension."

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Eric Hipwood's six-year contract extension with Brisbane."
    6 years for Hipwood makes Naughtons deal look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks apparently offering 4 years to Chol.

Naughton deal starting to look like a bargain!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Vred on here mentioned a week or two ago that both Naughton and JUH were all but signed, just waiting for the cba to iron out the details.

Naughton done. Hopefully Marra isn't far away.

12. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

“It was put to me that it was $12 million and I’ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

“It would have been (the biggest contract ever).”

-Tom Morris
    What were these clubs (WCE aside with Pick 1) going to use to trade for AN? I don’t understand how Sydney, Collingwood or Geelong would even get remotely close to satisfying a trade. A teen pick, a F1 and a good player. Hard pass from us. I don’t get it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news.

Nobody knows how much he's getting and i'm quite happy not knowing.

Has been such an impressive player since arriving at the club and it's great that him and 'Marra have formed such a close relationship on and off the field. A leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What were these clubs (WCE aside with Pick 1) going to use to trade for AN? I don’t understand how Sydney, Collingwood or Geelong would even get remotely close to satisfying a trade. A teen pick, a F1 and a good player. Hard pass from us. I don’t get it.
    Possibly a good reason to make an offer too good to refuse. In this landscape you're at the mercy of the player's trade preference irrespective of the currency their preferred club has to get them there.

So do you overpay now to avoid getting screwed at contract maturity, and figure out how to manage it later on? Possibly.

Collingwood has shown you can discard players on long term contracts providing you're prepared to pony up on salaries.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate that we had to compete, but I am in the Cornes camp a little.

Naughts is great and whilst he doesn't have Bailey Smith's profile is a player people come to the footy to watch.

A 9 year deal makes him a Bulldog for life, but he is a serious knee injury away from being a 9 year liability. Its touch and go. I don't see Naghts having as much longeivity and I would be wanting to see more scoreboard output.

Am I happy we have signed him - yes, but I am alittle concerned as well.

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Possibly a good reason to make an offer too good to refuse. In this landscape you're at the mercy of the player's trade preference irrespective of the currency their preferred club has to get them there.

So do you overpay now to avoid getting screwed at contract maturity, and figure out how to manage it later on? Possibly.

Collingwood has shown you can discard players on long term contracts providing you're prepared to pony up on salaries.
    Maybe they make the offer next year then. He’s still under contract. Short of adding Gulden or Diacos we would never have done agreed to a trade with him under contract for a Dunkley like offer. I get it from us locking him away. But I don’t see what the point of clubs unable to secure AN making massive offers now when they couldn’t satisfy a trade now. Head scratching.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Maybe they make the offer next year then. He’s still under contract. Short of adding Gulden or Diacos we would never have done agreed to a trade with him under contract for a Dunkley like offer. I get it from us locking him away. But I don’t see what the point of clubs unable to secure AN making massive offers now when they couldn’t satisfy a trade now. Head scratching.
    I guess what I'm inferring is that clubs roll the dice and see if they can get enough player and media pressure for a deal to be done. The media is thirsty for trades, as is the AFL. A high profile club figures it can push into a situation with a massive trade and then you have dickheads like Tom Brown openly saying how much they want the Bombers to win Dunkley on national TV because they broke the story.

It's highly speculative but just like in 2020 with Junkley, you get enough of a profile around it and all of a sudden it's real. I guess when it comes to Junkley he wasn't good enough for us to be honey dicked into offering crazy money and tenure to retain him. Naughton's a different player.

20. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post