Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  291
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Kennel - Nick Coffield

So with the news yesterday that Nick Coffield has nominated the Dogs, how are we feeling?

In my view he is a quality footballer who has been ruined by injury for the last few years. I would assume the trade is at minimal cost, and the contract is at the lower end for a couple of years. Taking Crozier or TOB list spot.

Durability is the only concern. Since debut in 2018 he has gone 10, 8, 18, 16, 0, 0. Always picked when fit but often not fit.

It looks like the ultimate low risk, high reward play. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nick Coffield nominates Bulldogs

Worth a shot given the risk vs reward profile on the likely pick we use. I don't think we should bank on him though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind it if it’s basically free or positive draft points if we add in 36.

I fear he hasn’t played in two years. JOD has played half a season. Buss hasn’t debuted yet. Bruce, TOB & Croz go. Jones is another year older and Gardner looks to have taken a step back.

If Coffield is the answer I’m not so sure. If he’s part of the answer, yes. With news that Nick Haynes will come cheap and with salary paid by GWS, I’d like to look at him as well I’d he’s cheap as a seasoned player who had a good 2023 season and can not have us rely on young/injured players to hold up our defence, and put that pressure on them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    So with the news yesterday that Nick Coffield has nominated the Dogs, how are we feeling?

In my view he is a quality footballer who has been ruined by injury for the last few years. I would assume the trade is at minimal cost, and the contract is at the lower end for a couple of years. Taking Crozier or TOB list spot.

Durability is the only concern. Since debut in 2018 he has gone 10, 8, 18, 16, 0, 0. Always picked when fit but often not fit.

It looks like the ultimate low risk, high reward play. I like it.
    The Saints won't make it easy for us but the deal will get done.
    It's a bit surprising to me that we have targeted a 3rd tall defenders spot to fill given O'Donnell emergence, Busslinger should be closer to being ready to play senior footy next year and having Gardner. Losing Bruce to retirement, pushing TOB out the door and with question marks on Keath and Crozier I'd imagine Coffield is seen as an experienced but young enough 3rd defender to helps us straight away. We were interested in Coffield for a few weeks now so it's nice to see he has nominated us

Not sure what is a fair deal to get him across from the Saints but I suspect they'll ask for a lot and perhaps a flip flop of picks or something in the 2nd or 3rd round will get it done. Silvagni will have a heap of options for us to consider.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing is he is only 24 (23rd of Oct) and we know he has the ability to play AFL. Obviously his ability to stay on the park has dogged his career. As long as he doesn't cost too much, it is worth the risk.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Saints won't make it easy for us but the deal will get done.
    It's a bit surprising to me that we have targeted a 3rd tall defenders spot to fill given O'Donnell emergence, Busslinger should be closer to being ready to play senior footy next year and having Gardner. Losing Bruce to retirement, pushing TOB out the door and with question marks on Keath and Crozier I'd imagine Coffield is seen as an experienced but young enough 3rd defender to helps us straight away. We were interested in Coffield for a few weeks now so it's nice to see he has nominated us

Not sure what is a fair deal to get him across from the Saints but I suspect they'll ask for a lot and perhaps a flip flop of picks or something in the 2nd or 3rd round will get it done. Silvagni will have a heap of options for us to consider.
    Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier aw the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier aw the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.
    Same height as Cleary
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    He's a 3rd tall or even more of a taller version of Richards so we haven't targeted him as a tall or as a KPP.
    The Saints will want to get Henry across from Freo, Dow from Carlton and have that Shiel and Gresham deal bubbling away so some potentially interesting options will surface.
    It's questionable how much of a need we have with filling a 3rd tall defenders spot but after our initial interest in Doedee, Coffield seems like a decent addition.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Coffield played some terrific football in 20/21.

I hope we have done a thorough medical. Assuming all clear it could be a great moneyball selection.

We are seeing teams load up on smaller forward lines with say 2 talls and the rest being smalls and mediums (like Collingwood & Brisbane) so it makes sense to bolster our small/medium defensive stocks. I actually thought our defence looked great in 2021 when we had 2 KD's (Keath and one of Gardner or Cordy) and a medium 3rd tall in Williams. Our movement out of the backline was so much more efficient. I wonder if we could be looking at reverting back to this
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

12. Likes anfo27, Dry Rot, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a good end of the year (played the last 4 VFL games and got good numbers) and should be ready to tackle pre-season day 1.

Hopefully he hasn't lost any athleticism with his injuries and the worst if them are behind him now.

Post Thanks / Like

The saints have gone early on letting first round picks go in the past.

Tom lynch went to Adelaide and was a very good player. Blake Acres is doing good things at the blues. Jamie Cripps has had a successful career at the Eagles.

Hopefully this is another one.

Post Thanks / Like

AS others have said, if he can get his body right, and get some continuity, hopefully he can add some value.
    The only proviso being that we don't pay an extortionate fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    AS others have said, if he can get his body right, and get some continuity, hopefully he can add some value.
    The only proviso being that we don't pay an extortionate fee.
    They offered him a 1 year contract so surely they can't expect much back. Saints fans feel he'll come good but obviously the regime at St.Kilda don't have that confidence hence the 1 year deal with a trigger (supposedly)

17. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Coffield played some terrific football in 20/21.

I hope we have done a thorough medical. Assuming all clear it could be a great moneyball selection.

We are seeing teams load up on smaller forward lines with say 2 talls and the rest being smalls and mediums (like Collingwood & Brisbane) so it makes sense to bolster our small/medium defensive stocks. I actually thought our defence looked great in 2021 when we had 2 KD's (Keath and one of Gardner or Cordy) and a medium 3rd tall in Williams. Our movement out of the backline was so much more efficient. I wonder if we could be looking at reverting back to this
    We also had Easton playing in 2021, and while he wasn't in great form at the end of his career he still wasn't replaced.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    They offered him a 1 year contract so surely they can't expect much back. Saints fans feel he'll come good but obviously the regime at St.Kilda don't have that confidence hence the 1 year deal with a trigger (supposedly)
    That to me seems key - if we are offering and making a bigger commitment than the saints then they can be disappointed but how hard a bargain can they drive for a player they are uncertain about committing to?