Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  291
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nick Coffield nominates Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We also had Easton playing in 2021, and while he wasn't in great form at the end of his career he still wasn't replaced.
    That's a good point. Perhaps we see Coffield as a belated Easton Wood replacement.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Not really a tall. 191cm, a tweener if we're playing him as a KPD. As you said Saints won't just say "Here you go" and do us a favour. It'll cost us more than what we'll get. We'd be better off investing in what we have and keep Crozier as the break glass player. We'd then have more draft points and potentially draft someone better.
    Crozier is absolutely done as an AFL footballer with us and going back to him isn't an option that will see us improve... If Coffield can get his body right, he is a massive upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a solid move, he’s now fit and is a proven senior defender - if he can stay fit, will help Richards with his capacity to intercept and run.

Also hoping for that second chance bounce. Massive Dogs nuffy growing up. Worth a shot
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Curly5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Crozier is absolutely done as an AFL footballer with us and going back to him isn't an option that will see us improve... If Coffield can get his body right, he is a massive upgrade.
    So lets hit the draft then? I'd rather do that and invest in Bus, JOD and Cleary than pay a 2nd - 3rd round pick for Coffield which is what they'll ask for.

Post Thanks / Like

So lets hit the draft then? I'd rather do that and invest in Bus, JOD and Cleary than pay a 2nd - 3rd round pick for Coffield which is what they'll ask for.
    Coffield is out of contract, hasn't played an AFL game since 2021 and has been offered a 1 year deal. Saints can ask for anything but in the end they'll probably take what they can get. Since he's not in high demand he can always go PSD and even if another club thinks they can match our terms (which St.Kilda hasn't hence why he's leaving) there are ways to manipulate things to get where you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Coffield is out of contract, hasn't played an AFL game since 2021 and has been offered a 1 year deal. Saints can ask for anything but in the end they'll probably take what they can get. Since he's not in high demand he can always go PSD and even if another club thinks they can match our terms (which St.Kilda hasn't hence why he's leaving) there are ways to manipulate things to get where you want to go.
    No medicals at other clubs and he’s coming to us in the PSD or Pick 70 ND.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the majority of clubs work these lower end deals out in good faith without too much argy bargy. No threats of PSD or the like, it only comes back to bite you in future dealings.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's virtually nothing, I'm happy. If we're paying overs, which is what I'm so concerned about I'll be livid. They're not going to give him to us for free hushj.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think the majority of clubs work these lower end deals out in good faith without too much argy bargy. No threats of PSD or the like, it only comes back to bite you in future dealings.
    If it's virtually nothing, I'm happy. If we're paying overs, which is what I'm so concerned about I'll be livid. They're not going to give him to us for free hushj.
    Big difference between what Axe Man is suggesting (most likely) and paying a second round pick. St Kilda have no leverage, we'll offer pick 50-60 or something or maybe even a pick swap of some sort/points BS and it'll get done. The only time I think we've paid overs under Power is Lobb who was still contracted. We won't get bent over for an out of contract player given all the other factors mentioned already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If Saints play it right. They get 45 or so for Billings or someone else.

Dogs: 2 x 3rds, Coffield (150 or so more points for us)
    Saints: Picks 36 & 70
    >
    Saints: Henry
    Freo: Pick 36

Saints use Coffield to turn two 3rds (not enough to get Henry) into a pick that does get Henry. Turning two players they’re not prepared to invest into Henry and a later pick. Freo get their second rounder for him. We take the money ball trade and some extra points.

If that’s not enough for all parties then I don’t know what is. I’d think the clubs would be mad not to do it and be happy enough.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks jazzadogs, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Saints play it right. They get 45 or so for Billings or someone else.

Dogs: 2 x 3rds, Coffield (150 or so more points for us)
    Saints: Picks 36 & 70
    >
    Saints: Henry
    Freo: Pick 36

Saints use Coffield to turn two 3rds (not enough to get Henry) into a pick that does get Henry. Turning two players they’re not prepared to invest into Henry and a later pick. Freo get their second rounder for him. We take the money ball trade and some extra points.

If that’s not enough for all parties then I don’t know what is. I’d think the clubs would be mad not to do it and be happy enough.
    Normally losing 36 would be an issue but (assuming we trade up before Croft) it's all moot as long as we have points instead so it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally losing 36 would be an issue but (assuming we trade up before Croft) it's all moot as long as we have points instead so it works.
    Yep. 36 is a bargaining chip this year. I’m 100% certain it will be traded no matter what with GCS as we desperately need more points at this stage. If Saints want/need it for Henry, then I’m happy to help them out for Coffield and about 150 extra points at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. 36 is a bargaining chip this year. I’m 100% certain it will be traded no matter what with GCS as we desperately need more points at this stage. If Saints want/need it for Henry, then I’m happy to help them out for Coffield and about 150 extra points at least.
    Thanks for that BT - does it work if Freo don't accept 36 for Henry? Freo sound like they're going to play hardball and extract as much value as they can for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Thanks for that BT - does it work if Freo don't accept 36 for Henry? Freo sound like they're going to play hardball and extract as much value as they can for him.
    That’s not so much our problem after we do our deal. If the Saints calculus is Pick 36 (2nd round) is fair compensation then Saints should take our pick and deal with Freo. If they need to sweeten it, they can make their own decision (say swap 41 & 32 too). But a couple of third rounders will absolutely not get Henry under any circumstances. Our Pick 36 could unlock that trade as Saints also want to hit the draft. We can give them that chance - for a price.

17. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    This is a solid move, he’s now fit and is a proven senior defender
    Do you really think he's a proven senior defender PM?

I don't disagree that he's worth a shot, but proven?

We should be giving up ZERO for this player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Likes hujsh, 1eyedog liked this post