Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  98

View Poll Results: Pick 4. How did we go?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we've overpaid by a substantial amount

19 32.76%
  • I really wanted us to move up the order so I'm okay with it

14 24.14%
  • Bloody father son picks complicate things

14 24.14%
  • You can't have too many top end picks

8 13.79%
  • We should have kept what we had and played the cards as they fell

3 5.17%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The pick 4 deal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The pick 4 deal

Stop it Angelo, we're already dead.

2. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Stop it Angelo, we're already dead.
    Ha .....

Post Thanks / Like

If we win the Premiership and Gold Coast get the Wooden Spoon

What we are getting.

Pick 4 2034
    Pick 46 331
    Pick 56 194
    Pick 37 483 (future third)

Total 3042

What we are giving up.

Pick 10 1395
    Pick 17 1025
    Pick 18 985 (Future first)

Total 3405

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Based on the same finishing ladder positions this year will happen next year.

What we are getting.

Pick 4 2034
    Pick 46 331
    Pick 56 194
    Pick 40 429 (future third)

Total 2988

What we are giving up.

Pick 10 1395
    Pick 17 1025
    Pick 10 1395 (Future first)

Total 3815
    So 827 points = about Pick 23. That's what we lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Based on the same finishing ladder positions this year will happen next year.

What we are getting.

Pick 4 2034
    Pick 46 331
    Pick 56 194
    Pick 40 429 (future third)

Total 2988

What we are giving up.

Pick 10 1395
    Pick 17 1025
    Pick 10 1395 (Future first)

Total 3815
    And in practice pick 4 becomes 6 with bids, and 10 becomes ? 12? 13? 14? 17 becomes 20+? And next year there's also round 1 bids expected, so pick 10 is actually pick 13?

It'll be interesting to see what the ACTUAL deal is, but will need to be post draft night NEXT year before it's done (and then we'll still have to wait a few years to see how the players turn out).

Post Thanks / Like

FYI

- Pick 4 will probably end up being pick 6
    - Pick 10 will probably end up being pick 14 (looking likely to be a pick we'd have had to use to match Croft)
    - Pick 17 will probably end up being pick 22

8. Thanks Sedat, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes macca, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    FYI

- Pick 4 will probably end up being pick 6
    - Pick 10 will probably end up being pick 14 (looking likely to be a pick we'd have had to use to match Croft)
    - Pick 17 will probably end up being pick 22
    I think this is the clincher. We likely knew Pick 10/14 was in danger, at which point it changes everything.

I'm of the philosophy that you get in as much high end talent into the club as possible. Realistically these are selections in the top 6 each year.

Sometimes it's not about 'winning' the trade. It's about doing what's best for the list. Perhaps, at least I hope, this is it.
    W00F!

10. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This from SEN

Gold Coast and the Western Bulldogs have engaged in the second official move of this year’s trade period with a swap of picks.

The Suns sent their coveted pick four to Whitten Oval alongside picks 46, 51 and a future third-round selection, with the Dogs parting with picks 10, 17 and a future first-rounder.

It sees Gold Coast come out well on top in terms of the points value attached to each pick, should the Bulldogs and Suns finish in similar ladder positions next year.

But with the Suns likely to match bids on four academy prospects in the first round and the Bulldogs making moves of their own, a little more clarity arises.

Bulldogs list manager Sam Power explained his side of the deal to AFL Trade Radio.

“A number of reasons. We get (pick) four back, a couple of third-rounders this year and a future third from Gold Coast as well,” Power began.

“It’s really with how highly we rate the top end of the pool this year, the types of players that are there in that group really align to our needs.

“Also taking into consideration academy bids, father/son bids, that’s part of our decision making.”

While on face value it doesn’t look a great deal for the Western Bulldogs, SEN’s Tom Morris moved to explain the decision.

Both clubs are looking to avoid academy and father/son picks swallowing up higher draft picks.

“It’s important to understand that the Gold Coast Suns and the Western Bulldogs have different priorities,” he began.

“While the Western Bulldogs are looking to get father son Jordan Croft in and the Suns are looking to recruit their academy picks, by and large the Dogs want a pick at the top of the draft to get at least one elite talent…

“They hope the Croft bid won’t come in the top four, but the Gold Coast Suns want a suite of picks that equal however many points they think is needed to match the bids that come for the four academy players.

“I think 10 and 17 are so strong that they’ll be able to package them up… you might ask why have the Suns done this deal with the Dogs now when other deals could have come… they have given clubs plenty of notice, so given there was no better deal than 10, 17, a future first and a swap of late picks (it’s a win-win).

“Although Jordan Croft hasn’t yet nominated the Dogs, the Dogs are very confident that he will and if and when he does, they’ll have enough picks to be able to match whatever bid for him, which won’t come in the top four.”

AFL Media’s Cal Twomey rated Croft as the 11th best prospect in his September Phantom draft rankings.

Croft has until the end of October to signal his intentions of joining the Bulldogs, while the Suns hope to match bids on academy prospects Jed Walter, Ethan Read and Jake Rogers, all likely to come in the first round.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

“A number of reasons. We get (pick) four back, a couple of third-rounders this year and a future third from Gold Coast as well,” Power began.

It’s really with how highly we rate the top end of the pool this year, the types of players that are there in that group really align to our needs.

“Also taking into consideration academy bids, father/son bids, that’s part of our decision making.”

Lual sliding passed Pick 40?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

It’s really with how highly we rate the top end of the pool this year, the types of players that are there in that group really align to our needs.

Lual sliding passed Pick 40?
    I heard it more that the picks we gave up are going to be pushed back quite a bit and we don't really rate that part of the draft (and potentially next year same story).

But I kind of hear what I want to so that I can remain positive about everything the dogs hierarchy do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I heard it more that the picks we gave up are going to be pushed back quite a bit and we don't really rate that part of the draft (and potentially next year same story).

But I kind of hear what I want to so that I can remain positive about everything the dogs hierarchy do
    I was pointing out that Sam Power said he needed to consider academy bids. They can only happen for us from Pick 40.

So I’m wondering if we think we are a good shot at securing Lual if his bid formed part of the thinking on the deal. Maybe it’s a hint there’s a good chance we secure Lual via the NGA too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So, yes, we overpaid. But it was a very strong market we had to beat, so we may not have overpaid by too much.

Getting what we think will be the best outcome for the club by overpaying a little for a trade makes sense to me. All that remains to be seen is whether the recruiting team are astute judges of talent.

16. Likes 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Twomey suggest Croft 11 th pick , which makes sense to get pick 4 ( gun midfielder) , which becomes. Pick 6 , mentioned above.
    Just hope the 5 picks before us dont nominate Croft, maybe there is a gentlmens agreement on which club picks what.
    In Sam we trust.

Lets see how this plays out on draft day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Interesting Twomey suggest Croft 11 th pick , which makes sense to get pick 4 ( gun midfielder) , which becomes. Pick 6 , mentioned above.
    Just hope the 5 picks before us dont nominate Croft, maybe there is a gentlmens agreement on which club picks what.
    In Sam we trust.

Lets see how this plays out on draft day
    Exceptionally risky move for any club to put in an early bid on Croft now that we have pick 4. He's going to take a while to develop and that will factor into where clubs rank him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted #1
    Giving up 10,17 and F1 (I think we will finish 10-14 next year) for #4 is bad enough, but if we picked Watson with that pick, I will be absolutely livid.
    I will never see #16 the same!!