Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  98

View Poll Results: Pick 4. How did we go?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we've overpaid by a substantial amount

19 32.76%
  • I really wanted us to move up the order so I'm okay with it

14 24.14%
  • Bloody father son picks complicate things

14 24.14%
  • You can't have too many top end picks

8 13.79%
  • We should have kept what we had and played the cards as they fell

3 5.17%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The pick 4 deal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The pick 4 deal

The father-son giant who convinced the Dogs to sell the farm Marc McGowan October 9, 2023 — 5.53pm

On the surface, the Western Bulldogs paid a whopping price for Gold Coast’s in-demand pick four.

The Dogs handed over three first-round picks on Monday – selections 10 and 17 this year, and their top one next year – while getting numbers 46 and 51 and a future third-rounder to complete their return.

No one else was willing to pay so much, but there was method to the (perceived) madness, and it all centres on a 200-centimetre kid by the name of Jordan Croft, son of 186-game Bulldog Matthew. More on him later.

List boss Sam Power was honest when he said the decision owed, in part, to how highly they, and everyone else, rate the top-end of this year’s draft crop. Recruiters believe there is a gap between the best eight or nine kids and the rest.

It is an eclectic bunch, from power-packed No.1 elect Harley Reid, to key forward Jed Walter, the silky Zane Duursma, Tasmanian midfielders Colby McKercher and Ryley Sanders, tall swingman Daniel Curtin, and gifted small forward Nick Watson.

Rivals believe Watson is firmly on the Bulldogs’ radar, and operated on the assumption for weeks that the Suns would score pick 10, which is already being hunted by the likes of North Melbourne and Melbourne.

Gold Coast plan to match bids on four excellent academy prospects – Walter, unicorn ruckman Ethan Read, midfielder Jake Rogers and speedster Will Graham – so this deal goes a significant way to them doing that. They will keep wheeling and dealing across the next week or so.

Whichever way the Dogs go, they should find a good one, but make no mistake, they did this because they expect Croft to nominate as father-son eligible. He is tipped to attract a first-round bid anywhere from about pick 10 through to the mid-teens

The 18-year-old forward-ruck, who is managed by leading agent Tom Petroro, has until the end of this month to make his call.

Power said they were “really keen” to secure Croft, but the highly touted teenager kept his cards closer to his chest when he spoke to this masthead at the draft combine at Marvel Stadium at the weekend.

“It really depends, to be honest. I’ve still got a little bit of time to decide, and talk to family [about] if I’m going to declare father-son,” Croft said. “I’ve always grown up going for the Bulldogs, so it would be an honour to play for that club, if they were going to take me. I just want to be able to play footy, wherever that is, whether that’s interstate or in Melbourne.”

That last line is the intriguing part.

Croft is the modern key-position archetype, at 200 centimetres and with impressive agility and endurance. He finished fourth in the two-kilometre time trial at the combine, taking barely six minutes to complete it. But he is light and will take time to develop.

The Bulldogs were once bereft of talls on their list, but these days are the envy of the competition, with an extraordinary collection of promising talls, including Aaron Naughton, Tim English, Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, James O’Donnell and Jedd Busslinger.

That logjam is something Croft must consider when he makes his decision.

“I definitely need the time to develop. Being a taller player, I’ve definitely got to put on a little bit more weight to take on those bigger bodies at the next level,” he said. “But it’s a luxury for [coach Luke] Beveridge and the coaching staff to have so many talls, and definitely a benefit for the club.”

Croft kicked 23 goals in 11 games for the Calder Cannons this past season in the Coates Talent League and represented Vic Metro at the AFL Under-18 Championships, including a three-goal haul against South Australia.

For the Dogs, their chips are in. Those extra late picks from Gold Coast were also with Croft and matching a bid in mind, with their draft hand, after No.4, set to be wiped out if he does attract a bid in the first round.

But they are also committed to bringing in St Kilda’s Nick Coffield, and have expressed interest in contracted Demon James Harmes.

Link: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p5eavq.html

2. Thanks kruder, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Croft is the modern key-position archetype, at 200 centimetres and with impressive agility and endurance. He finished fourth in the two-kilometre time trial at the combine, taking barely six minutes to complete it. But he is light and will take time to develop."

That is quick for someone over 200cm tall. 3 min/km pace. The boy has some endurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Only just catching up on the news.

I voted for “should’ve kept our hand” but could’ve easily voted for “we’ve overpaid” however it’s early to say that with too much confidence until we see who we land, how all the bids land and the picks move, and then of course the performance of the players we select or otherwise would’ve been able to select if we hadn’t made the trade.

I realise our firsts we are trading are late firsts (and one of them you can call a second most likely) but it feels a lot of move up 6 spots or even 10 spots in the draft. If we land a generational talent, all will be forgotten.

5. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The father-son giant who convinced the Dogs to sell the farm Marc McGowan October 9, 2023 — 5.53pm

On the surface, the Western Bulldogs paid a whopping price for Gold Coast’s in-demand pick four.

The Dogs handed over three first-round picks on Monday – selections 10 and 17 this year, and their top one next year – while getting numbers 46 and 51 and a future third-rounder to complete their return.

No one else was willing to pay so much, but there was method to the (perceived) madness, and it all centres on a 200-centimetre kid by the name of Jordan Croft, son of 186-game Bulldog Matthew. More on him later.

List boss Sam Power was honest when he said the decision owed, in part, to how highly they, and everyone else, rate the top-end of this year’s draft crop. Recruiters believe there is a gap between the best eight or nine kids and the rest.

It is an eclectic bunch, from power-packed No.1 elect Harley Reid, to key forward Jed Walter, the silky Zane Duursma, Tasmanian midfielders Colby McKercher and Ryley Sanders, tall swingman Daniel Curtin, and gifted small forward Nick Watson.

Rivals believe Watson is firmly on the Bulldogs’ radar, and operated on the assumption for weeks that the Suns would score pick 10, which is already being hunted by the likes of North Melbourne and Melbourne.

Gold Coast plan to match bids on four excellent academy prospects – Walter, unicorn ruckman Ethan Read, midfielder Jake Rogers and speedster Will Graham – so this deal goes a significant way to them doing that. They will keep wheeling and dealing across the next week or so.

Whichever way the Dogs go, they should find a good one, but make no mistake, they did this because they expect Croft to nominate as father-son eligible. He is tipped to attract a first-round bid anywhere from about pick 10 through to the mid-teens

The 18-year-old forward-ruck, who is managed by leading agent Tom Petroro, has until the end of this month to make his call.

Power said they were “really keen” to secure Croft, but the highly touted teenager kept his cards closer to his chest when he spoke to this masthead at the draft combine at Marvel Stadium at the weekend.

“It really depends, to be honest. I’ve still got a little bit of time to decide, and talk to family [about] if I’m going to declare father-son,” Croft said. “I’ve always grown up going for the Bulldogs, so it would be an honour to play for that club, if they were going to take me. I just want to be able to play footy, wherever that is, whether that’s interstate or in Melbourne.”

That last line is the intriguing part.

Croft is the modern key-position archetype, at 200 centimetres and with impressive agility and endurance. He finished fourth in the two-kilometre time trial at the combine, taking barely six minutes to complete it. But he is light and will take time to develop.

The Bulldogs were once bereft of talls on their list, but these days are the envy of the competition, with an extraordinary collection of promising talls, including Aaron Naughton, Tim English, Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, James O’Donnell and Jedd Busslinger.

That logjam is something Croft must consider when he makes his decision.

“I definitely need the time to develop. Being a taller player, I’ve definitely got to put on a little bit more weight to take on those bigger bodies at the next level,” he said. “But it’s a luxury for [coach Luke] Beveridge and the coaching staff to have so many talls, and definitely a benefit for the club.”

Croft kicked 23 goals in 11 games for the Calder Cannons this past season in the Coates Talent League and represented Vic Metro at the AFL Under-18 Championships, including a three-goal haul against South Australia.

For the Dogs, their chips are in. Those extra late picks from Gold Coast were also with Croft and matching a bid in mind, with their draft hand, after No.4, set to be wiped out if he does attract a bid in the first round.

But they are also committed to bringing in St Kilda’s Nick Coffield, and have expressed interest in contracted Demon James Harmes.

Link: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p5eavq.html
    What's a unicorn ruck?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's a unicorn ruck?
    A ruck with a horn
    WOOF Member 422

8. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes chef, WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's a unicorn ruck?
    A 202cm ruckman who ran the third fastest time at the 2km draft combine 5:56. Only three people went under six minutes.

"And Walter mightn’t be the only Suns academy prospect in the top five, with Ethan Read continuing to surge up draft boards following his phenomenal game against Vic Metro on Sunday. A 200cm ruck, Read blew scouts away with his ability to cover the ground and play essentially as a fourth midfielder on his way to 23 disposals, nine marks (three contested) and 15 hit-outs."

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much pressure will the club and Sam Power be under if we perform badly next season like Freo did this year and the future pick ends up being in the top 8?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How much pressure will the club and Sam Power be under if we perform badly next season like Freo did this year and the future pick ends up being in the top 8?
    Heads will roll. Whether Power is one of them will be whether he was directed to execute the trade or pushed it himself.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Heads will roll. Whether Power is one of them will be whether he was directed to execute the trade or pushed it himself.
    Footy department heads don’t roll, you know this!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Footy department heads don’t roll, you know this!
    He will do an even more serious review into himself. That’ll teach him!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Isn't that more likely than not on recent exposed form?
    We did lose to West Coast, Hawthorn and struggled to get passed a Cats VFL side.
    I actually have us outside the 8 next year. There are at least 8 sides I think are currently better than us.

We have better players, we don't play better though.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, with projections, it's looking like:
    - pick 4 becomes 6
    - pick 10 becomes 15
    - pick 17 becomes 23

18. Thanks Scraggers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    A 202cm ruckman who ran the third fastest time at the 2km draft combine 5:56. Only three people went under six minutes.

"And Walter mightn’t be the only Suns academy prospect in the top five, with Ethan Read continuing to surge up draft boards following his phenomenal game against Vic Metro on Sunday. A 200cm ruck, Read blew scouts away with his ability to cover the ground and play essentially as a fourth midfielder on his way to 23 disposals, nine marks (three contested) and 15 hit-outs."
    Thanks Ang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    A ruck with a horn
    A ruck who's been to uni to study corn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    FWIW, with projections, it's looking like:
    - pick 4 becomes 6
    - pick 10 becomes 15
    - pick 17 becomes 23
    1751 points (6) vs 1927 (15+23)

Difference is worth pick 58

22. Likes Grantysghost liked this post