Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  98

View Poll Results: Pick 4. How did we go?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think we've overpaid by a substantial amount

19 32.76%
  • I really wanted us to move up the order so I'm okay with it

14 24.14%
  • Bloody father son picks complicate things

14 24.14%
  • You can't have too many top end picks

8 13.79%
  • We should have kept what we had and played the cards as they fell

3 5.17%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The pick 4 deal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The pick 4 deal

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I've had time now to come to terms with this deal.

I guess we had two options (assuming we get Croft around pick 12 which seems likely),

1. Split pick 10 into a bunch of later picks, use 17 on the Croft points and get say three picks around the 30s mark. Keep our F1.
    2. Do what we have done, get pick 4 ahead of Croft, get Croft using the third rounders and pick a couple more at the end of the draft.

Considering we probably have 40ish players on our list to draft, maybe the difference between the picks we would've had in the 30s in the first option and the late picks in option 2 is not significant.

So maybe it really is in practical terms our F1 for pick 4.
    What's the draft/pick-swap plan if Croft does not nominate the Bulldogs?

Personally, I can't see why he would not nominate. Bruce and O'Brien are gone and within the next two seasons, so will Keith and then Jones. Potentially Lobb as well. The timing should suit his development of when he should be a regular senior player (if good enough).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post

Personally, I can't see why he would not nominate. Bruce and O'Brien are gone and within the next two seasons, so will Keith and then Jones. Potentially Lobb as well. The timing should suit his development of when he should be a regular senior player (if good enough).
    Croft is coming. We just sold the farm for him. To me it sounds like it’s been to our mutual benefit to not rush things. He’s on his way.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Croft is coming. We just sold the farm for him. To me it sounds like it’s been to our mutual benefit to not rush things. He’s on his way.
    Where is all sudden this positivity now coming from BT?
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

If we have done all this on the premise that he is coming, and he doesn't, well that's a pretty huge fail on our behalf.

I think we have to assume he is coming.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Where is all sudden this positivity now coming from BT?
    It would be crazy to do that deal without knowing for a fact he’s coming. Insane and sackable. So I don’t think that.
    We are getting 2-4 kids according to Power. We have 7 draft picks right now. They’re only really good for points if you accept it’s 2-4 kids like Power says.
    Plus Croft’s last interview was very good in his rhetoric.

I’ve thought he was coming, but having his manager negotiate a longer rookie contract by holding out a bit.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    If we have done all this on the premise that he is coming, and he doesn't, well that's a pretty huge fail on our behalf.

I think we have to assume he is coming.
    Well, I guess we have to plan on the assumption he is coming, as you'd look a lot worse if you didn't have the picks to match.
    I'm not sure why he hasn't nominated yet though. It seems to be a trend of late.

Davey twins didn't nominate for Essendon until the 30th last season.

Post Thanks / Like

But, on the off chance that Croft says no thanks, then I would suggest we split pick if possible, maybe trading back into this years draft and next years. Suffice to say though no one will give us back what we paid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    But, on the off chance that Croft says no thanks, then I would suggest we split pick if possible, maybe trading back into this years draft and next years. Suffice to say though no one will give us back what we paid.
    If Croft hasn’t committed, Grant & Power need to be summarily dismissed. We have one pick in the top 39 picks. 6 later picks. No F1. It would be devastating.

He’s coming.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be crazy to do that deal without knowing for a fact he?s coming. Insane and sackable. So I don?t think that.
    We are getting 2-4 kids according to Power. We have 7 draft picks right now. They?re only really good for points if you accept it?s 2-4 kids like Power says.
    Plus Croft?s last interview was very good in his rhetoric.

I?ve thought he was coming, but having his manager negotiate a longer rookie contract by holding out a bit.
    You must be referring to the article on Foxfooty?! That was last Friday before the trade period so probably the condition for the nomination is for us to have wiggle room to match any bids.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...8cba138999e199
    "In order for the Dogs to have the right to Croft and match any rival club bid on him at the draft, he must first nominate the club under the father-son rule.

Speaking to foxfooty.com.au at the national draft combine, Croft said he had always been ?a mad Doggies supporter? growing up, but indicated he was yet to make an official call.

?You definitely have to nominate as father-son, but I?ve still got a bit of time to make that decision and talk with family and my manager,? Croft told foxfooty.com.au on Friday.

?I think it?d be a really great honour to be able to play for the club that you?ve grown up supporting and loved for so long. To be able to give your all to the club, if I get the opportunity, I definitely will be able to. I think that?s what I?ll be looking forward to if I was lucky enough to get drafted to the Bulldogs.?
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

13. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am finding peace with the deal, ultimately we need points for Croft etc.

But, I wonder if we were a destination club aka Collingwood if we would be bolder.

Take Bulldogs supporting Butters. He has two years left, but given the same circumstances in 12 months time would Port consider 10, 17 and F1? Would 10 & 17 ultimately be enough?

Theoretically we could then take the #3 deal for Smith and still land our man in the draft.

Lot of pipe dream stuff here. But I think we should chase Butters hard next year. The attraction of home, playing for the WB, and specifically playing with his idol Bont could put us ahead and if we were to lose Smith. This would feel like an upgrade and certainly take the sting out of it.

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Positive view

Pick 4 (5), is the lowest pick we have had since The Bont. Forget the Academy and FS stuff, not since Bont have we had this opportunity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Positive view

Pick 4 (5), is the lowest pick we have had since The Bont. Forget the Academy and FS stuff, not since Bont have we had this opportunity.
    Technically we've had pick 1 and 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Technically we've had pick 1 and 2.
    With two picks to come this year and assuming we land Coffield we've got a lot of high end picks on the list

#1 - Ugle-Hagan
    #2 - Darcy
    #4 - Bontempelli
    #6 - Macrae
    #7 - Smith
    #8 - Coffield*
    #9 - Naughton
    #13 - Busslinger
    #15 - Weightman
    #16 - Richards
    #19 - English
    #20 - Crozier
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Likes Grantysghost, chef, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With two picks to come this year and assuming we land Coffield we've got a lot of high end picks on the list

#1 - Ugle-Hagan
    #2 - Darcy
    #4 - Bontempelli
    #6 - Macrae
    #7 - Smith
    #8 - Coffield*
    #9 - Naughton
    #13 - Busslinger
    #15 - Weightman
    #16 - Richards
    #19 - English
    #20 - Crozier
    Yet they can’t beat WCE on their home deck to play in finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet they can’t beat WCE on their home deck to play in finals.
    If you keep topping up on talent, trading for experienced players and then not delivering when it counts it's not a good mix and it's why there are mixed feelings in the supporter base.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"