Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Midfield Depth

Post Thanks / Like

Midfield Depth

I feel like our forward planning for the decline of our midfield has been really poor. We have overloaded our list with flankers and utilities, relying more heavily than any other team on our 'core' group of mids.

Current list of centre bounce mids:
    Treloar, Bont, Smith, Macrae, Mclean, Libba, Scott, Daniel
    Baker (wing), Poulter (wing), Bedendo (wing), Williams (wing), Roarke (wing)

So how have we got in this situation? Here's our midfield ins for the past four off seasons.

In: 1 ?mid (Garcia), 1 wing (Butler)

In: 1 mid (Treloar), 3 ?mids (Scott, Mcneill, Bedendo)
    Out: Porter

In: 2 rookie mids (McComb, Parker)
    Out: Lipinski, Jong

In: 2 wings (Baker, Poulter)
    Out: Dunkley, Hunter, Parker

2023:
    In:
    Out: Mccomb,

Even going back to 2016 (so since winning the flag), I would say that we have brought in only 7 'genuine' mids and only 4 are left - that doesn't feel like enough to me.

Lipinski, Porter, B Smith, West, Garcia, Treloar, Mccomb

So are we any chance of bringing in a genuine mid any time soon?

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Midfield Depth

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I feel like our forward planning for the decline of our midfield has been really poor. We have overloaded our list with flankers and utilities, relying more heavily than any other team on our 'core' group of mids.

Current list of centre bounce mids:
    Treloar, Bont, Smith, Macrae, Mclean, Libba, Scott, Daniel
    Baker (wing), Poulter (wing), Bedendo (wing), Williams (wing), Roarke (wing)

So how have we got in this situation? Here's our midfield ins for the past four off seasons.

In: 1 ?mid (Garcia), 1 wing (Butler)

In: 1 mid (Treloar), 3 ?mids (Scott, Mcneill, Bedendo)
    Out: Porter

In: 2 rookie mids (McComb, Parker)
    Out: Lipinski, Jong

In: 2 wings (Baker, Poulter)
    Out: Dunkley, Hunter, Parker

2023:
    In:
    Out: Mccomb,

Even going back to 2016 (so since winning the flag), I would say that we have brought in only 7 'genuine' mids and only 4 are left - that doesn't feel like enough to me.

Lipinski, Porter, B Smith, West, Garcia, Treloar, Mccomb

So are we any chance of bringing in a genuine mid any time soon?
    Rhylee West in three years.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on record about fifteen times tonight saying I think Cody will go into the midfield over the next two years. He'll be prioritised over West and Garcia which will burn a lot of folks.

To me he can be like a Wingard when he made the change. Good enough in the air, great in traffic, and smart with hand/ foot.

So that's one additional player to your list.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes josie, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the thought of Cody in the midfield, and he did have a few moments this year where he showed the poise in traffic required.

Do our current recruiting team not value mids? Is it just because of JUH/Darcy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I like the thought of Cody in the midfield, and he did have a few moments this year where he showed the poise in traffic required.

Do our current recruiting team not value mids? Is it just because of JUH/Darcy?
    It's hard to understand why we have been so reluctant to bring in some midfielders later in the draft and why we've more than happy to bring in slightly more mature players from Footscray or state leagues than through the talent leagues. It's the way that we've rated our list and that we think we are right in the premiership window.

Sure, father son and academy picks have all been key positions players and that's impacted our early trade currency but it's like we only rate midfielders if we can get them early in the draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's hard to understand why we have been so reluctant to bring in some midfielders later in the draft and why we've more than happy to bring in slightly more mature players from Footscray or state leagues than through the talent leagues. It's the way that we've rated our list and that we think we are right in the premiership window.

Sure, father son and academy picks have all been key positions players and that's impacted our early trade currency but it's like we only rate midfielders if we can get them early in the draft.
    Very few of the elite mid fielders you see today don't come from the Top 10. We will be paying a high price for small forward Watson but he is considered elite. It also suit our needs as small forwards have become one of the most important roles in the game. Collingwoood going for Schultz to go with Hill and Ginnivan shows just how important they consider the small forward role. It will give us Weightman, Clarke, Jones and Watson. Can see Weightman doing a lot of pinch hitting in the middle and once Jones develops his tank he will push further up the ground. Clarke will be an interesting one next year. He is the type who will play better at the higher level and a very smart footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Very few of the elite mid fielders you see today don't come from the Top 10. We will be paying a high price for small forward Watson but he is considered elite. It also suit our needs as small forwards have become one of the most important roles in the game. Collingwoood going for Schultz to go with Hill and Ginnivan shows just how important they consider the small forward role. It will give us Weightman, Clarke, Jones and Watson. Can see Weightman doing a lot of pinch hitting in the middle and once Jones develops his tank he will push further up the ground. Clarke will be an interesting one next year. He is the type who will play better at the higher level and a very smart footballer.
    Have a look at the Swans who have drafted the likes of Gulden, Warner, Rowbottom and McInerney outside of the 1st round let alone the top 10. They also drafted Jordon Dawson with a pick in the 50's.

Perhaps it's our player development but we've focused more on bringing in slightly more mature players from the state leagues than drafting and developing some midfield depth from the talent leagues.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the point of drafting midfielders if we turn them into flankers?

Our midfield group for the last 3 seasons has been Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar with Dunkley & Baz as the add-ins.

That’s it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What’s the point of drafting midfielders if we turn them into flankers?

Our midfield group for the last 3 seasons has been Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar with Dunkley & Baz as the add-ins.

That’s it.
    We had to throw Daniel into the midfield to replace Macrae this year as well.